Unlikely in Georgia staight?

seascene

Crew Member
Just going through some pics and saw this from a few years ago caught up near Calvert Island. Not very common in the Straight?

DSCF2687.JPG

Not rare, but not common.
Pick one or two up a year in front of Campbell River.

used to get them off thormanby while on anchor , deep mooching live herring , usually 4 - 5 lbers not the big ones you get elsewhere.

Pacific ( or grey ) Cod , these are a different species from the walleyed pollock we all catch while trolling the inside

I always see guys jigging bottom at the Hump. Always assumed the were fishing Grey Cod

larger ones are full of worms. meat is tasty but kinda flaky fall apart easy
Caught one many years ago when we had a boat at Gilbert's in Saanich Inlet. Filleted it out at the cleaning station, and you are right about the worms. Disgusting fast wiggling large yellowish worms all through the meat. Put me off ever eating that species.

Caught one many years ago when we had a boat at Gilbert's in Saanich Inlet. Filleted it out at the cleaning station, and you are right about the worms. Disgusting fast wiggling large yellowish worms all through the meat. Put me off ever eating that species.
yup. me too. one i tried was quite small and no worms. the guy that used to collect money at Kitty Coleman used to tell all the fishermen if they caught any to take them to him; don’t throw them back. i brought him a couple. he was filleting them in front of me and the worms were coming right out of the fillets on his cleaning table. Baaaarrffff

Cut the fillets off, skin them, put up to a light and flick out the worms and good to go. Awesome fish to eat. Years ago when I fished ground fish commercially up in Rupert, they were one of the better paying fish that we caught. (when compared to rockfish and sole). If we gutted them we were paid a higher price by the commercial halibut fisherman. Lingcod paid better but the quantity wasn't there.

Used to get quite a few of those out front of Parksville while trolling, some years they seem more prevalent. Thought about eating them but all this worm talk has changed my mind!

That's the Cod that Pajo's used to use-I say 'used to' since while they have pic of that type of Cod on their website the rest of the info is a little cagey.

Maybe I should have lunch there today.....

In the 80's we used to catch them all the time, intentionally, off Lasqueti Island. We loved eating them. I'm not sure why, but I haven't caught one since the 80's. Never saw a worm in them back then.
The small ones are probably food for big bottomfish like halibut or large lings. Hopefully they make a rebound.

What’s the daily limit on these things???
If one was to get into em out there this season...
Would be cool to try(small ones only lol) if a chance presented itself.

What’s the daily limit on these things???
If one was to get into em out there this season...
Would be cool to try(small ones only lol) if a chance presented itself.
8 per day in area 13. the flesh is tasty; there is nothing wrong with the taste;, just comes apart easy when cooked

Back