Union Bay Launch (How big is to big?)

Just looking for some local advice on how big of a boat can be launched at any tide level at the Union Bay launch? I currently use this boat ramp but I am only launching a 16.5 foot Starcraft aluminum and I have no issues at any tides but I also don't care to much about it getting banged up to much. The reason I am asking is I will be upgrading to a much heavier fiberglass hulled boat this winter and the size I go with will be largely determined by what can be launched at Union Bay ramp with out to much hassles. What size of boats are the other locals putting in at this ramp? How heavy can I go before sink into the mud to much? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've seen many larger fiberglass boats in the mid 20ft. range launch there with no problems. You do have to pick your tides though. As you might know there is a channel that runs parallel to the breakwater that allows for many large vessels to launch as long as the tide is up over 7ft. or so. Check your tide guide and go down and have a look at the different levels. There's a small concrete ramp, that only comes into use at the very highest tides. Good Luck.;) eman

Thanks for that, I am looking at a 21 foot Striper and I would be interested to hear if anyone out there uses this launch with a similiar boat. Last thing I wanna do is buy the boat then have to take the boat over to Comox to put in all the time. Sure would be nice to get a good launch on this side for bigger boats.

My fishing buds and myself have been launching there for years. My buddys Mig welded aluminum (21ft) is good for a 5 ft tide by using the trench on the south side---NOT THE CONCRETE RAMP. I can even launch my 20 ft Alumaweld at the 4 ft tide or less, with care. Glass boats??? Well a 21 ft Striper, I would think (others may not agree) that you need a minimum of 8ft. And that would be tricky with any wind as there is only a narrow channel on the southside of the launch area. You will need a boarding ladder for sure. Unless you have a 12 ft tide or better, dont use the concrete. Sorry-- but the Comox ramp is a better bet for glass boats of the size you indicated at all levels.

I launch an 18 foot bowrider fiberglass ski boat there all the time. I'll launch a 3-4 foot tide in the far right corner just where the trench comes in. The concrete ramp is really limiting as has been mentioned as it is functional on higher tides only. The ramp is steep but it then flattens out at the bottom and unless you want to back up to the top of your rear tires....

Thanks guys for the advice, I may consider the striper 1851 to avoid having to go over to comox all the time. Anyone ever use the air park marina ramp?Costs?Conditions?

And be aware that the river channel is no longer being dredged, so its pretty shallow at low tide

Back