Tying Trailing hooks on Anchovy holder set up.

My only experience with trebles is in the river pulling plugs for chinook. There’s no C&R going on because when you get one, chances are its hatchery and you might not get another. Diving plugs fish better with trebles because they balance the action better then a single. But I always got trebles tangled in my net using plugs and was thankful I never had to use them in the salt chuck.

I very rarely have fish take herring or anchovies deep so not sure what that’s about. If they do, they go in the box. Fishing bait in a river? Different story—-steelhead inhale bait, probably because they’re stationary and the bait is moving with the current directly into their face
Okay.. this conversation is off the topic of this current thread and should be in a thread on its own...that being said as a stand lone conversation it never goes well when we go down that road... :)

I very rarely have fish take herring or anchovies deep so not sure what that’s about. If they do, they go in the box. Fishing bait in a river? Different story—-steelhead inhale bait, probably because they’re stationary and the bait is moving with the current directly into their face

Sometimes I end up with both hooks set with the lead hook in the mouth and the stinger deeper inside. When the stinger was a smaller treble it was a pain to remove and potentially caused damage to the fish.

Ok great thinking guys. Spider wire and a Snell knot looks like the way to go. And tying up several at once for the entire year using Fluor as the main leader.

Crippled herring head or a choked herring with 2 single 4/0 hooks. 1 stinger, tied together with snell knots not sliding. No flasher. Mostly targeting coho up north. I pre tie at least 4 before I go, wrapped up in sandwich bags. I seemed to hook the majority on the stinger hook…

Crippled herring head or a choked herring with 2 single 4/0 hooks. 1 stinger, tied together with snell knots not sliding. No flasher. Mostly targeting coho up north. I pre tie at least 4 before I go, wrapped up in sandwich bags. I seemed to hook the majority on the stinger hook…
I think this is what a lot of the lodges on Haida Gwaii used for years too, great action some of the guides called the "Northern Roll".

Interesting to see all the variations! I thought there was only one way to tie these up! I think what I have always used is called a bait loop, I just tie two hooks in line with the same knot.

Idea of being able to quickly add a stinger without rethreading the teaser head sounds interesting but I can’t see how people are doing that on this thread? HELP ME UNDERSTAND.

I think the two biggest enemies of the stinger are the pliers when releasing fish beside the boat and getting caught in the net then you pull the fish in and a lot of its weight is hanging off that hook. Plier releases can easily damage the setup I use as the line is wrapped down the shaft of the hook.

I like to use grand slam bucktails a lot and they are designed to be run with two singles. We do have a releasing tool that does not damage the line which helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 56
Interesting to see all the variations! I thought there was only one way to tie these up! I think what I have always used is called a bait loop, I just tie two hooks in line with the same knot.

Idea of being able to quickly add a stinger without rethreading the teaser head sounds interesting but I can’t see how people are doing that on this thread? HELP ME UNDERSTAND.

I think the two biggest enemies of the stinger are the pliers when releasing fish beside the boat and getting caught in the net then you pull the fish in and a lot of its weight is hanging off that hook. Plier releases can easily damage the setup I use as the line is wrapped down the shaft of the hook.

I like to use grand slam bucktails a lot and they are designed to be run with two singles. We do have a releasing tool that does not damage the line which helps.
Some guides are getting away from the treble altogether, just using 2 singles, for a variety of reasons.

I like to use grand slam bucktails a lot and they are designed to be run with two singles. We do have a releasing tool that does not damage the line which he

I have a pair of rugged plastic pliers that we use to remove hooks from our fish. I used to use Metal pliers but found in difficult unhooking situations they could damage the knot on the hook or leader between tandem hooks

Back