Tying Trailing hooks on Anchovy holder set up.

pescador

I’ve started running trailing hooks on my Chovy set ups. My kill rate has increased dramatically. I’m wondering how you guys tie up the two hooks. I find it a nightmare to tie up trailing hooks while in the boat. Using fluorocarbon leader makes it tough to make knots so close together Without jamming a hook in your hand. I like the idea the other member has using spider wire. Appreciate your thoughts.

I use Snell knots and Spiderwire then Fluorocarbon from the head knot

I tie up around 30-50 leaders during the winters coldest days while sitting around the fire place. then they go into individual sandwich size zip lock bags once complete then into a large one. When I'm on the water I don't like wasting time tying hooks (or have them sunk in my hand) just pull another one out of the bag. Simple effective and cheep.

I don't know what the knot is called, but I just run the tag end in through the eye then wrap the main line up about 10 wraps and then back down through the eye. Doesn't even feel like a knot to be honest. The reason I like this one is you can set your distance accurately because there's no pull at the end that affects the distance. Takes me about 30 seconds to tie a leader up. Not that I like doing it while fishing though. I tie up 5 or 6 before fishing.

Last edited:
I use a snell knot also , a red Gammi stinger and a #2 treble both barbless, and 40# ultra green. I use 80# braid between the hooks.

I was tying egg loop knots on both stinger and lead hook first with mono then more recently with flourocarbon line on my anchovy rigs. The egg loop does allow for controlling the space between hooks. After seeing the way VanIsle10 and Derby tie their rigs with braid from hook to hook on the Mono vs Flourocarbon thread I tied up half a dozen full rigs this way and eight more sets of hooks. The stinger has broken off in the net frequently enough for me that the 100 lb braid between hooks seems like a decent solution.

I've been trying to account for the occasionally loss of the trailing hooks on my rigs. Tried a few different knot combos but get little difference.

I suspect the problem is caused by abrasion from the trailing hook line dancing around the front hooks point, or where the knot butts up against the rough end of the hook wire.

I fished all summer with one rig...never deviated when using bait, and had one of the most successful summers of spring fishing ever. No flasher, just a Rhy Davis cap, an anchovy and two hooks and a swivel.

The only fish I lost were a few break-offs using Fluoro but that was quickly remedied by going back to tried and true mono, not changing my hook set up

So this is the rig I used all summer:

284155C6-7698-458D-A59F-C139B16063DE.jpeg

Reading the above posts and seeing the pictures leaves me absolutely gob-smacked to hear about the use of trebles when bait fishing....not to be a rabble-rouser here, but why on earth would someone even think of using a treble in the salt chuck....other then out of habit? How can you stick those things in the face of a spring you’re going to release when there’s no need to? Why would you want one of those things tangled up in the mesh of your net?

Again, not wanting to be a PITA, just an inquiring mind that wonders if I’m missing out open some critical piece of information that might improve my time out on the water

How can you stick those things in the face of a spring you’re going to release

i did not release any chinooks I caught this year. Fishing out front of the fraser this September 15-25 pound, bonk two and go home. Few sockeye bit them but most fell off before they made it to the boat and the other ones a quick flick beside the boat, usually barley hooked by the stinger,

I guess my question to you is why are you bothering to use bait at all fishing up north for feeders if your concerned with deep hooks or treables. Easy enough up their to use spoons and hoochies with a single hook.

Why would you want one of those things tangled up in the mesh of your net?

you net fish your going to release? after i bonk the fish a barbless small treble is pretty easy to get out of a net

Last edited:
I'm not a super fan of treble hooks but the fraser fishery in fall is 99% a terminal event so I have no issue using a treble lead hook and a single stinger. Almost all the fish I've retained have been hooked on the stinger and the treble merely gets the party started. The rest of the year it is singles all around. Even at that, I had numerous releases on the treble / single config. Of the few juniors I found, or wild coho, it was no problem releasing the fish at the boat, never leaving the water, seeing a net or the floor of our boat.

One other thing, my biggest issue is stabbing myself in the fingers when tying leaders, the rest of the concerns noted above around nets and such are non starters to date, for me anyway.

I fished all summer with one rig...never deviated when using bait, and had one of the most successful summers of spring fishing ever. No flasher, just a Rhy Davis cap, an anchovy and two hooks and a swivel.

The only fish I lost were a few break-offs using Fluoro but that was quickly remedied by going back to tried and true mono, not changing my hook set up

View attachment 85681

Reading the above posts and seeing the pictures leaves me absolutely gob-smacked to hear about the use of trebles when bait fishing....not to be a rabble-rouser here, but why on earth would someone even think of using a treble in the salt chuck....other then out of habit? How can you stick those things in the face of a spring you’re going to release when there’s no need to? Why would you want one of those things tangled up in the mesh of your net?

Again, not wanting to be a PITA, just an inquiring mind that wonders if I’m missing out open some critical piece of information that might improve my time out on the water
When every bite counts and they are going in the box a treble has its place. I don't catch and release springs very often and I ain't particularly size selective. Whether it's 12 or 25lbs, it's bonk and swing over the rail. I don't fish a treb when there's much for little stuff around as it is hard on shakers.

I doubt many folks fish trebs in the catch and release fisheries.

When every bite counts and they are going in the box a treble has its place. I don't catch and release springs very often and I ain't particularly size selective. Whether it's 12 or 25lbs, it's bonk and swing over the rail. I don't fish a treb when there's much for little stuff around as it is hard on shakers.

I doubt many folks fish trebs in the catch and release fisheries.
I don’t fish bait at all when it‘s catch and release just because of how deep they can take it.

View attachment 85681

Different hooks, different leaders for different places & for different stocks of fish..... When i fished up north as you fish I would use a pair of singles as well...however we all fish what works for us personal and as the regs currently allow us the choice.. so we can and will choose as we see fit........ I can tell when and where I fish bait on WCVI a lead treble hooks makes zero difference on morts...

My only experience with trebles is in the river pulling plugs for chinook. There’s no C&R going on because when you get one, chances are its hatchery and you might not get another. Diving plugs fish better with trebles because they balance the action better then a single. But I always got trebles tangled in my net using plugs and was thankful I never had to use them in the salt chuck.

I very rarely have fish take herring or anchovies deep so not sure what that’s about. If they do, they go in the box. Fishing bait in a river? Different story—-steelhead inhale bait, probably because they’re stationary and the bait is moving with the current directly into their face

I think we have scope creep here, as for plugs, I've never used a treble ever, and I was only giving consideration to salt chuck down to 90'or so in the fraaer area / lower GS. I didn't touch bait at all until later August this year in the chuck, and no trebles until Sept 10 after a few slipped off on singles.

Back