Tuna Charter

Hey Sushihunter ... I think that might have been your wife circling the boat ... not a Great White. Don't forget if they migrate this far north they are pretty docile. Let's not exagerate!!

Cheers All,

Met with a fellow guide for 2 hours today to go over some of the logistics of the anticipated tuna hunt. He is also interested in pursuing tuna and his, as well as your imput, is greatly appreciated. Will be making an announcement within 10 days.

Fishing Guide
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

I am Canadian. Let's go fishing, eh!

Boys...when it comes to tuna fishing in Canada, while remotely intriguing, i would strongly recommend you stick to fishing salmon and halibut in those waters. If you want to really experience tuna fishing set your sights a little further south. Mexico is accessible and a relatively good place to start. Albacore are not really worth spending too much money chasing around, yellowfin, on the other hand, certainly are!

Good luck in any event!!!

quote:Originally posted by capt josh

Boys...when it comes to tuna fishing in Canada, while remotely intriguing, i would strongly recommend you stick to fishing salmon and halibut in those waters. If you want to really experience tuna fishing set your sights a little further south. Mexico is accessible and a relatively good place to start. Albacore are not really worth spending too much money chasing around, yellowfin, on the other hand, certainly are!

Good luck in any event!!!
Well the tuna fishing in B.C. is probably much better that the salmon fishin in Mexico [^]

Cheers,

Currently a Canadian woman sits in a Mexico jail for two years without due process. While I respect that Mexico is a soverign nation and has it's own "judicial system" I will not travel to Mexico while this type of event could occur. There are simply too many options available which do not produce this type of risk.

As for tuna fishing I can state that a trip offshore here would be a fraction of the cost of a trip to Mexico.

Fishing Guide

I am Canadian. Let's go fishing, eh!

Since I've been fishing in Mexico since the early 80's and have travelled extensively there I think I'm qualified to comment.

Josh Temple has done very</u> well setting up a charter business in Mexico, gave up his Prince Rupert business altogether for warmer pastures.

However his post show how out of touch he is with things locally, dropping Salmon numbers mean people here are looking for something new and since many already have the boats and much of the gear why not bone up on technique and have at it!

Those big Yellowfin he wrestles are real bruisers but pound for pound no more exciting than Albacore I know I've caught all kinds of each but many more YFT.

Mexican Tuna numbers are dropping too longliners and seiners plague Mexico's west coast places I used to love like Barra de Navidad are ghost coasts and not worth spending a dime to fish in.

Still and all I'd rather fly down to Mexico to fish warmer usually calmer weather means a Panga (22' open boat) will do most days and if the current has fish you'll do well, food is cheap and much better than anything found anywhere on Vancouver Island.

In that regard the proposed Albacore charters have to bear in mind that there's always competition sometimes from unlikely places, I'm wiling to spend the money to chase Tuna here but want to see some value for those dollars, Josh is right that Mexico offers better value and more species.

OK-Here We Go!

That woman who's in jail lived in Mexico with no papers no legal status none for 5 years</u> and in all that time never learned to speak a word of the language, accepted wages from a convicted fraudster and now she cries because she's behind bars!

Anyone with anything more than bread pudding for brains would have left Mexico the day after hearing the person they'd worked for had been arrested, remember under the Napoleonic Code a person is guilty until proved innocent.

If she wants sympathy she can look in the dictionary between zhit and syphyllis.

end of rant

Dogbreath you're fairly well educated on this subject i can see that!

Mexico is in fact tremendously safer than most give her credit for. Comparatively, i felt a hell of a lot riskier walking around downtown Vancouver with the boys when i was in town last October. Using one completely isolated incident to label an entire country is a stretch, and a looong one at that.

Fishing Guide i'm not trying to dash your hopes of chasing tuna off canadian waters. Just trying to educate people a little more so that they understand exactly what they are getting into. The fact of the matter is you have to travel a hell of a long way offshore in canadian waters to find tuna, which poses a great risk in itself on many levels.

I am saddened to hear that stocks continue to decline up north. As a born and bred multi-generation British Columbian fisherman there was and always will be a special place in my heart reserved for all of our great anadramous fish. I guess if the heart of the issue truly is the necessity to branch out and challenge more diverse fisheries in pursuit of sport, then as much as it saddens me to say this..."gas those puppies up and put the coffee on! She's gonna be a loooong run amigos!"

Good luck in this endeavor boys...i am, afterall, impressed by your enthusiasm.

There is merit to what Josh is saying, in that it can be a big quest to chase Tuna in B.C. waters. I don't get the impression that he is saying don't do it at home, only in Mexico. With less than optimal temp breaks on average, the distance, the cost and the safety factor of few boats that far offshore, I think the gist of his comment might have been that they have a dialed in fishery for Tuna, where our options are not dialed in.....
Saying that, I am an optimist to chase these bullets in home waters as well, watching SST and Terrafin reports and weather late August and September.
It is great for a bunch of you guys to pool resources and learn the best options if they are available. I have not read many posts on this long topic, but you may be interested to know about a forecast that we were presented at SFAB process.
Water temp. forecasts indicate our "normal" cooler trends will likely be prevealant for the next three years, so chasing Tuna may be tough...
If we get a chance, we'll likely go for it as well.
I'll be watching conditions again this summer, and posting any Tuna activity on our reports page at www.tofinofishing.com

Good Luck and Safe Travels,

Jay

Now safety was brought up....that's where we should start...
Another thing that most of us guides need to be aware of is that Transport Canada and your insurance aren't gonna look at going over 25 miles off shore without some presence.
Believe me...look at your fine print in your insurance policies and see if 25 miles is O.K....I had to pay extra!
Also...Transport Canada, although I don't know for sure on this one, might not support this with there current inspections...might be worth a phone call...
With all this being said...this is unlike most fisheries as the more guy's you have involved is defineatly better and I'm in if I get a chance...finding time is another story.
Good luck boy's...

One other thing since were talking tuna...
since my knowledge of fishing pelagics is minimal at best...and this is just my opinion although if your serious, I think these are a good idea...outriggers!
Now it is a no brainer for me cause my last boat came with a good set so I'm foresure gonna use them...
You gotta troll as much gear as possible for these things on the spread if they are out there...just makes sence to me in the beginning...
I'm gonna start trying for them end of August and into september only if I've got a chance and some company.....

Outriggers help a lot, keeping the lures spread out really pays off.

No need to go high tech either I've fished boats with bamboo outriggers, bamboo cut from a grove just outside of town![8D]

Old antennae will work too.

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

OK-Here We Go!

That woman who's in jail lived in Mexico with no papers no legal status none for 5 years</u> and in all that time never learned to speak a word of the language, accepted wages from a convicted fraudster and now she cries because she's behind bars!

Anyone with anything more than bread pudding for brains would have left Mexico the day after hearing the person they'd worked for had been arrested, remember under the Napoleonic Code a person is guilty until proved innocent.

If she wants sympathy she can look in the dictionary between zhit and syphyllis.

end of rant

She was found guilty today. Interesting story;
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimes...=8662f761-1065-4aef-a26d-d1e2b5a9e4b5&k=63001

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/04/22/martin-father.html

Back