Tuna Fisherman Wanted - Sept 8th -12th

carpeweekend

Crew Member
Late notice but one of our crew has had to cancel for the Bamfield tuna derby which runs from Sept 9th - 16th. Have a buddy joining us on the 12th or 13th through the duration of the derby but we are one man short for the start of the derby (Sat) through to Tuesday. We get up to Bamfield on the Friday afternoon. You would be fishing off of my new 33' aluminum so the trip for tuna will be as fast and comfortable as is possible but be prepared for a 4 -6 hour run out at night, fish all day, and getting back to the dock at dusk. On off days we will be processing tuna (hopefully). We will also be fishing salmon on days that we can't get offshore (there is usually still some around at that time) and last year spent a day fishing halibut. We have a 4 bedroom cabin booked at McKay Bay Lodge that includes meals.

Let me know if you would be interested in joining our crew. If you have fished tuna before that is a bonus but at a minimum you need to be an experienced fisherman that has fished the West side of the Island before and don't get sea sick (or can puke and rally). As anyone who has done it before can attest, tuna fishing is one of the hardest and funnest things you can do. You need to be in reasonable physical shape, willing to pitch in on the work, and able to mostly suspend your alcoholic tendencies until we get back to the dock.

My crew has fished the derby the last two years. You would be expected to pay for 1/4 of costs while you are with us. Basically, fuel, accommodation, ice, and food. Actual cost will depend on how often we are able to get offshore for tuna during that time but likely around $2500? I have all of the gear needed.

PM me if you are interested or want further info.

Last edited:
i have some local friends here with experience if needed. they are good to go or i would have never tuna fished with them before. i find it quite easy to fish with them as its like a powder day in a ski town. drop and go.

Late notice but one of our crew has had to cancel for the Bamfield tuna derby which runs from Sept 9th - 16th. Have a buddy joining us on the 12th or 13th through the duration of the derby but we are one man short for the start of the derby (Sat) through to Tuesday. We get up to Bamfield on the Friday afternoon. You would be fishing off of my new 33' aluminum so the trip for tuna will be as fast and comfortable as is possible but be prepared for a 4 -6 hour run out at night, fish all day, and getting back to the dock at dusk. On off days we will be processing tuna (hopefully). We will also be fishing salmon on days that we can't get offshore (there is usually still some around at that time) and last year spent a day fishing halibut. We have a 4 bedroom cabin booked at McKay Bay Lodge that includes meals.

Let me know if you would be interested in joining our crew. If you have fished tuna before that is a bonus but at a minimum you need to be an experienced fisherman that has fished the West side of the Island before and don't get sea sick (or can puke and rally). As anyone who has done it before can attest, tuna fishing is one of the hardest and funnest things you can do. You need to be in reasonable physical shape, willing to pitch in on the work, and able to mostly suspend your alcoholic tendencies until we get back to the dock.

My crew has fished the derby the last two years. You would be expected to pay for 1/4 of costs while you are with us. Basically, fuel, accommodation, ice, and food. Actual cost will depend on how often we are able to get offshore for tuna during that time but likely around $2500? I have all of the gear needed.

PM me if you are interested or want further info.
PM Sent

Back