Trophy Quality

Will do Blue, I just need to figure out wants verses needs first, aka, foot fever. Works great for 3 guest and myself, but this year i was plauged by tripping over four most trips.That being said, it is the right size for boyz trips North towing with the camper!

I do plan on bringing another boat up from the Oregon this winter to keep or flip??? I would be more than happy to help you find one and go through the details of you bringing one up for your self.You will save $ and get a low hour ride. Pretty simple if all is done right and in correct order. Feel free to send me a P-mail.

Buying Tax free gas in port..

Priceless
.. well not quite.. bout 85- 90 cents a liter

[8D]

And blue no .. I had a couple other minor warranty items as well. The improperly installed plug didn't help things once the batteries ran dead and the salt water got into the aforementioned electrical components. My thought on it was that the brand new 144k boat problem shouldn't be filled with water, so .. not my problem.. I will be pursuing legal action against the dealer.. but that is another story.

Well, for this little charter guy, I'd have to start charging $150.00 per hour to manage a $144 K boat along with the increased costs.
Brian Chan, I'm not...
Three is the most I would take even on a bigger boat if I lived in a perpect world with the perfect boat.
I'm having a tough time justifying the extra costs of fuel.
One local guide runs a 25' with a 225 Yamy, and eats 12.5 gal per hour on step. So there goes $150.00 to $250.00 per trip just for fuel for the day. I really don't know how he can make money after all the other costs.
Currently I use about $70.00 per day averaged for the year. And this includes the truck fuel to haul the boat to Nootka and Port every day.
I have to get through this week, but I will contact you, Maddog.
Heard alot of good and bad things about every boat out there including what I run. If there was a perfect boat that fit everyones needs it would be real simple.

When I was fishing in the sound this summer I burned about $40-$50 a day fishing for about 10-12 hours. Trolling on the big mercs! If I was to run strait for 10 hours I could be in Northern California. I did one run from Port Alberni to Nanaimo It took about 8 hrs and 450 liters, but after a 4 hr stop at swiftsure and catching Coho up to 28 pounds!, it was well worth doing the trip. You could actually see these huge Coho in the next huge swell actually above and at the same height as the boat! Some even hit as we where attaching the downrigger clip like the 5 lbers do. It was incredible. Little did I know there was a $10,000 Coho derby going on and the biggest fish brought in was 26 pounds. We had 3 that where better than that [V].

I have had the opportunity to own/operate 4 different charter boats in my days so far. The first was a trophy with an inboard/outboard. Let me say the OMC engine/leg components left a lot to be desired to say the least. Over all I guess it wasn't too bad of a boat though it caught fish well (they all do :D) Never had any complaints about the hull or any other major issues. It kinda rode through the water like a tank with no shocks though. I thought that it really needed a good outboard.

The next was a 23' glasply Tough as nails boat, but didn't win any beauty contests. Pushed through the water like a tank also, but the ride was way smoother than the trophy.

The next one was a Larson DC 228 offshore fishing machine. Perhaps the elusive "perfect boat" they only made it for one year 1991. Everything you could imagine good about a boat this one has! The boat is currently running out of Bamfield. I believe the guy running it is named Jim Watson. She has her ol' name back on it I see, the "Barbra Alice". This boat is designed from an offshore racing boat hull and let me tell you it rides better up on top of the waves. Incredible airtime from this boat that just wanted more! When she came down it was like landing on a cushion. By far the best riding boat I have ever seen.

Then there is the tyee lodge boat, Very practable fishing boat for good weather. Any wind and your getting wet. It can fish 4-6 guests with lots of room for fishing. Very impressed with the amount of fishing room for a 26' boat, center console, huge deck space!

Then of course there is my current boat. Verdict is still out, but so far it has been the "boat of my dreams". Crazy amount of power when you want it, comfort ++, highest resale value going, unsinkable, unparalleled stability in open ocean trolling/mooching conditions, the ride is great, and the 2 fishboxes in it are larger than any other competitor. [:I]

mr.warren, ide like to say that you do have a very nice boat, and yes it does blow by the trophys..however
how are you able to burn 40 or 50$ of gas form a 10 hour day of fishing, my grady with twin 200 yammies are burning 100L an hour at cruise..what motors are you running? your boat would be lighter than mine, but its not that much of a difference (again im not sure how gig your motors are im assuming 200 or 225's) and where can i get that 85cent gas ;)

Where are you running in Barkley sound for an hour? The furthest I needed to run on my twin 225 hp merc 4 strokes was either Whittlestone, Kirby, or Sanford. When we go offshore it gets much more costly. My guests usually tip very well, so that helps. Considering halibut is worth about $12/pnd the first 20 pounded "pays for the trip" Everything else is a bonus. Who knows I might be related to the fishin magician, because It would seem that I can pull fish outa my proverbial hat! ;)

We where into 40 springs this last derby weekend, I haven't heard of anyone doing better, even offshore. I think it was due in part to our lucky fishing song (arrogant worms - the fishing song) playing on the cd player, and we didn't waste gas running all over the place or offshore. Where ever we went we where into the fish!.

Nedarb2 .. There was a similar grady to yours off of beal who ran over our fish with his gear... was that you?.. he had on twin yams as well..

$150.00/hr for a fishing trip!? You planning on making your million dollars quickly huh? I only charge $95/hr for walk-ons and as low as $75/hr for 10 hr trips.

I was almost finished replying to this thread, but I just can't help it.
Lost my favorite flasher last night to a big Coho due to an inexperienced client pointing the rod at the fish.
Held a "moment of silence" but I'm still in a fowl mood today.
$750.00 for ten hours is a great deal for your clients, and I don't doubt that you only use 50 litres or so of fuel because you're trolling most of the time (on one engine I would presume), and it's more than obvious that you are God's gift to the Charter operators out there but .........
But I'd rather my daughter be a prostitute hooked on crack in downtown Vancouver that operate a Whaler! [:p][:p][:p]

Considering running to a spot and trolling on the big 4 stroke and a whaler isnt the lightest boat out there I find it very very hard to believe your only burning 50 bucks in fuel thats less than 9 gallons for 10 hours cmon who are you kidding?????? with running 2 mercs your going to get min.14 gallons per hour on those 18 is more realistic and then trolling but if thats what you think then all the powers of the fish gods are in your sights and catching 28 lb cohos good on ya!!!!!

"WERE NOT WORTHY" "WERE NOT WORTHY"

REALITITY CHECK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK WOLF!!!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Considering running to a spot and trolling on the big 4 stroke and a whaler isnt the lightest boat out there I find it very very hard to believe your only burning 50 bucks in fuel thats less than 9 gallons for 10 hours cmon who are you kidding?????? with running 2 mercs your going to get min.14 gallons per hour on those 18 is more realistic and then trolling but if thats what you think then all the powers of the fish gods are in your sights and catching 28 lb cohos good on ya!!!!!

"WERE NOT WORTHY" "WERE NOT WORTHY"

REALITITY CHECK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK WOLF!!!!!!!!

I absolutely HATE to say this but for once I agree with Wolf:D
My 50hp 4 stroke Yamaha burns about 4 gallons of gas to run from Jocks to Otter, troll on it for 7 hours and run back.
This is on a 17' Hurston with 1 other adult.
I would have to guess your atleast 4 to 5 times that[?]

I got cracked on head the earlier this year for my comments regarding bayliner/trophy quality.

So here is an actual account of Trophy Quality in offshore use. I woke-up two Sunday’s ago to find the Trophy parked at the end of the moorage underwater to the tops of the motors, hanging by its dock lines. The cause were two, 10-12in x 1/2in, cracks in the forward hull - one along to forward keel at the waterline and one a ways back on the first chine up from the keel. The previous day the boat had participated in an offshore tuna tourney was believed to incurr the damage running back in 5ft swell at 8seconds with 1ft wind wave as there were not reports of excessive water or bilge operation during the day . Apparently the owner was running hard, as were the 41 other participating boats, to meet the cutoff time for weight in. Boat is 1999 or 2000 vintage 24 or 25ft in length.

Perhaps it was owner error but all of us were running hard to get back by 6pm. The entire fleet fishing 45-55 miles offshore with no other incidents or issues but for a mechanical at the start on a Striper (neutral safety switch - owner forgot to pull into neutral to re-start after a stall) Other boats that did not sink were Strippers, Cabo's, Grady, Whaler, North River, Pursuit, Edwing, Cobia, Seafox and Trophy.

Good news is it happened at the dock and not at sea. And yes, one sinking does not a history make - we can all produce anecdotal and factual evidence other popular brands sinking but there appears to be larger body of reported problems with Trophy in offshore operations. Prove me wrong versus a Whaler, Grady, Parker, Pursuit, Cabo, etc... and I will eat my hat.

Like entering a mutt in a greyhound race. [:0]

I dunno why you question my fuel consuption.. 50 bucks @ $.85/L = 59 liters. How much can I burn running for 5 mins twice? This is pushing it though, lots of times I will be only 1-2 miles from home when I rap things up and dash in. Lots of times I will start 1-2 miles from bamfield. I like starting at Brady's Beach and trolling towards whittlestone, many times before I get up there I have 2 or 3 in the box. Shoulda thought about that for this last derby, but I ran the whole 3 miles.

Back