Trolling or Jigging

An electric motor that worked really well would be great for lots of fishing. I did a lot of lake fishing during the time I lived in Manitoba, electric motors are amazing for many types of freshwater fishing. I don't really know whats available for salt but its hard to beat the convenience in my experience.
I've got a 2008 minn Kota rip tide 55 that's never seen saltwater.
However I also have a 2019 Haswing 65 lb thrust saltwater rated motor that I wanted to try out by west van trolling and drift fishing, but never got the chance.
I've a group 24 battery, but don't know what kind of range I can get out of it.
The minn Kota rt 55 can get about 10 NM with a group 30 battery. All in lakes.

The big challenge for electric in the chuck is current: does it have enough torque to get you home when you're bucking into the tide and wind? You could of course have an electric dedicated for just fishing and keep a gas kicker or twin mains as a 'get me home solution. Additional cost and weight will put many off this route.

But electric is developing quickly. The big push in the automotive realm that will run for the next decade is bound to deliver spinoff products in recreational areas such as marine and offroad.

The big challenge for electric in the chuck is current: does it have enough torque to get you home when you're bucking into the tide and wind? You could of course have an electric dedicated for just fishing and keep a gas kicker or twin mains as a 'get me home solution. Additional cost and weight will put many off this route.

But electric is developing quickly. The big push in the automotive realm that will run for the next decade is bound to deliver spinoff products in recreational areas such as marine and offroad.
That’s kinda what I’m thinking, main engine to and from and drop the electric for fishing then main for the run back and being an 18 footer should be fine with three deep cycles for 36 volts will be interesting how long I get regardless should be much easier to fish with the auto pilot

That’s kinda what I’m thinking, main engine to and from and drop the electric for fishing then main for the run back and being an 18 footer should be fine with three deep cycles for 36 volts will be interesting how long I get regardless should be much easier to fish with the auto pilot
You might want to look at 36v charging systems for the TM batteries. I have this system and it has worked very well for 10 years.

This new option seems to be getting great reviews too.

Not sure what products they use, but you certainly see plenty of electric motor used in Florida fishing videos. Decent sized boats too. They mostly use the GPS virtual anchor or sometimes bass boat style foot pedal for positioning.

Back