Toyota Tacoma or Tundra

One trip from Nanaimo to Ucluelet pulling a 5,200 lb payload behind a Tacoma will have you wishing you'd gone for the Tundra, both going up that hill from Cathedral Grove then going down that same hill back into the park.

Tundra all the way (or similar 1/2 ton up to 3/4 ton) ---bigger footprint, bigger tranny, more breaking power, and a burly truck like a Tundra is your hedge against the downside of hauling boats on trailers (also known as "The Panic Move" )

PANICMOVE_zps8c0c5518.jpg

Agreed. Tundra all the way. You'll regret the Tacoma pulling that kind of weight, for all the reasons mentioned above.

I am new to this forum, it has been a great help, thanks to everyone. I now know if I go with Toyota, the Tacoma will be to light with my current boat, I'll go with the Tundra.
One person has mentioned the Ford Ecoboost, does anyone have one or can pass on some advise. I have researched this engine on the Internet, apparently it does not get the MPG they were hoping for and there has been some condensation problems in the air intake system when in high humidity areas.

My new GMC 1/2 ton with the 5.3L is great on fuel and is a quad cab 4X4 burning about 14L to a 100km right now. Cheapest truck I have ever owned.

I dunno... I would bet my buds 5.7 tundra is better than 14l/100km... Not mention a few extra features.

The ford Ecoboost get around 10l per 100 km and I think it has close to the same power as the tundra. I'm mean a freightliner is going to tug a boat awesome but its really not practical. It all depends what your doing with the truck. I have a Tacoma and I'm make due just don't get in a hurry. But if your empty and out in the city or offroad the Tacoma will win hands down. I'm in my truck a lot for work about 1000km a week so the fuel mileage for the company is important. I only tow the boat a 200km a month so its really not a big deal to be 5mins late to the launch.

After reading these posts I started to think a newer towing vehicle would be nice. My present vehicle is nice but limited. Then I started to think a nice diesel tow vehicle for 10 -12 thou might be the answer. And spend the difference on a nice vehicle that gets great mileage.

Check Auto trader. They are there. Not luxury fur functional.

I decided to park my F150 and boat for winter, use a Toyota Matrix to commute, then use the savings for an extra trip or 2 to the coast during the summer. Driving a truck to work is foolish unless you need it for work. (I've been a fool for many years). Driving a truck not up to the job of towing because you need a truck that gets decent commuter mileage is also silly.
My truck was burning 18 l/100 km, the little Toyota gets 6.5l/100 km. That's about $1500 saved for every 10,000km of commuting

image.jpgHard to beat a 3/4 or one ton diesel for towing. But I don't commute with mine either. She is a driveway queen weekdays!!!
Those taco's and tundra's sure are purty though, and they hold their value too. Just not sure I could fork over that kind of money for something that is borderline. I will say that Toyota is the only truck manufacturer that is adhering to SAE 's J2807 towing standard....pretty good standard.

Or you go with one of these bad boys that blew by me on the 'hat!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Tacoma and it is perfect for towing what I have.....which is a light boat. Harbercraft 16.5' with a 60hp Yamaha. I like this combo because it keeps the fuel bill down on both modes of transport, but both certainly have their limitations for power. 4 guys max out the boat and any heavier of a boat would max out the truck pretty quick...imho.

Last year I sold my 95 F-250 power stroke long box and was either going to go with a 5.9 litre cummins or a newer toyota tundra. Ended up going with the 5.7 litre Tundra 2007. That said the boat is a 24 6500lbs, electric over hydraulic. Nothing compares to the overall torque going up the hills with the diesel.....however I do appreciate the quieter ride, less smell, lower fuel costs, and comfort of the Tundra. Drinks alot when towing 22-23 litres/100km. However a familiy trip to port alberni loaded without the boat was 14Litres/100km average up and back. Around town I bike often and utilize the wifes 4 cylinder honda crv. However if were worried about fuel we would all be fishing out of one of these. http://www.whitehallrow.com/

Back