Toroidal propellers: gas burn reduction potential?

you could accomplish more by extending the cup in the prop 90 degrees to the blade, like they do on airplanes now. that will hold the water on the blade longer and reduce prop slip=more efficiency at lower rpm.
Seth weld some tabs on a old aluminum prop

you could accomplish more by extending the cup in the prop 90 degrees to the blade, like they do on airplanes now. that will hold the water on the blade longer and reduce prop slip=more efficiency at lower rpm.
Seth weld some tabs on a old aluminum prop
Right. I wanna see this in actual action. Been a fuss for a while. I want to put it against some props that I know are right in there with all the things that those boys are claiming it to be. I'll put that one on record.

Gotta fire up that smoker after all its superbowl

I know one of the guys who was on board this boat and involved in a two-day Sharrow test. It’s a 30 footer with a 9 foot beam and twin 300’s so I’m highly motivated to get the straight scoop from him.

The reduction in decibels is low on my list of the attributes I’d consider spending money for but extended range is something that has my full attention

According to the test results, the big gain in range is from troll speed up to the middle of the RPM curve. I can imagine the FLorida guys will yawn at these results because they all seem to be WOT kind of guys

6637714F-92A8-4D85-A0F1-B95A68B5CA07.jpeg

E335991F-B1BF-4243-950E-CAE643092D6E.png
801C2C4E-FD04-4130-A108-DCAC7E481544.png
From the test results:

Most boat owners are fanatical about two things, one matters, and one doesn’t: top speed and fuel consumption at cruising speeds. The fuel consumption of a boat such as the Duckworth 30 Offshore XL is particularly critical because of the distances involved getting to the fishing grounds.

The Duckworth propped with Sharrows has greater range at any speed under 32 mph, and a best cruise planing speed that is 38% farther at nearly 25 mph, and 24% more range at 30 mph. At trolling speeds, as can be seen in the chart below, the boat has 34% greater range.

UNQUOTE

Last edited:
Come on boys let's test those props on a boat that is worthy of the west coast. No ducks. No geese. Hunting season ended. 1🤣

All I hear is yep, percentage at cruise yadi ya, let's here rpm and running conditions and put that on a glass boat

I know one of the guys who was on board this boat and involved in a two-day Sharrow test. It’s a 30 footer with a 9 foot beam and twin 300’s so I’m highly motivated to get the straight scoop from him.

The reduction in decibels is low on my list of the attributes I’d consider spending money for but extended range is something that has my full attention

According to the test results, the big gain in range is from troll speed up to the middle of the RPM curve. I can imagine the FLorida guys will yawn at these results because they all seem to be WOT kind of guys

View attachment 89598

View attachment 89599
View attachment 89600
From the test results:

Most boat owners are fanatical about two things, one matters, and one doesn’t: top speed and fuel consumption at cruising speeds. The fuel consumption of a boat such as the Duckworth 30 Offshore XL is particularly critical because of the distances involved getting to the fishing grounds.

The Duckworth propped with Sharrows has greater range at any speed under 32 mph, and a best cruise planing speed that is 38% farther at nearly 25 mph, and 24% more range at 30 mph. At trolling speeds, as can be seen in the chart below, the boat has 34% greater range.

UNQUOTE
that is exactly where prop slip is the most, low to mid cruise speed, prop slip decreases as the hull friction decreases, i have run a boat at 4% prop slip but was at 70mph to do it, 27pitch ballistic prop was needed, it had enough cup in the prop, the minuet you hold the water on the blade efficiency will increase, that is what that prop is doing with the loop

Come on boys let's test those props on a boat that is worthy of the west coast. No ducks. No geese. Hunting season ended. 1🤣

All I hear is yep, percentage at cruise yadi ya, let's here rpm and running conditions and put that on a glass boat
Graphs are compared to a "traditional" prop. Those gains are very similar to gains claimed by props already on the market........I'm not in.....yet

View attachment 89598

View attachment 89599
View attachment 89600
From the test results:

UNQUOTE
This test is a bunch of bs.They are fudging the numbers on a conventional prop. I own a similar dimension aluminum with a comparable power package and the conventional numbers are way off at 3000-4000 (where the engines should actually be run).

This graph shows a the conventional 15.5 by 17 doing 16mph at 4000 rpm. This must be with the worst props you could possibly find. Maybe some weird old 2 blade a dogs been chewing for years. I want this to be legit but this is total crap.

I agree with some of the other posts. If these are legit why the bs marketing. The above graph is a complete joke. Shame! Shame!

That's a great point

Maybe, but seven guys and more then likely a full tank of gas? They were tracking the power curve and with all that weight a “traditional” prop (Saltwater Series?) probably struggled a bit to get out of the hole....I doubt they would have been stuck at 16 Mph for long at 4K if they had throttled down and kept the twins in the 4 K RPM band

Dunno if this props the GOAT, but what i know is that current props aren't very efficient. They've been around since Archimides. Time for someone to come up with a new design. Not sure about you but putting $600 worth of fuel in boat boat every week in the summers becoming very unappealing Lets get Elon on this one now

Hey like I said, I'll call them on Monday and if they are willing to allow my marine outfit to run a test prop at at least some kind of dealer demo price, I would toss some coin to see what happens. I'm leaning to 80 percent ********

Last edited:
Is the graph representing the avg or just a quick run up to speed? I could see them being better out of the hole but once the boats been up on step for a few min Id imagine the fuel burn is not quite that dramatically different..

The advantage is it’s suppose to reduce propeller tip turbulence.

Like how a lot of air plane wing tips now have winglets, to reduce the turbulence in the tip of the wing. Airlines seen significant savings. See winglets on most of westjet planes now.

For drone propellers it’s reduced noise and increased preformace

I seen tests with cpu Fans and it Doesn’t seem to have done Mach as cpu Fans already have a case around the fan blades.

If that translate to boats I think that’s yet to be seen. This one company seems to think so.

in the discussion I had with them they suggested that my Pursuit OS325 would get on step at lower rpm. If true, it would be worth investigating as the boat is heavy with a load of fuel, gear and passengers. If it lowers the speed on step it should result in improved economy

View attachment 89598

View attachment 89599
View attachment 89600
From the test results:

UNQUOTE
Something is off (BS) with the first graph. I get at least 20 knots (~23 mph) 4000 rpms with twin Yamahas 300 on my heavy-butt 33' Grady. If I recall correctly 4500 rpms gets me to like 28-29 knots. How come their Duckworth (lighter, shorter) can't beat it with the same engines with "standard" props?

Back