Toroidal propellers: gas burn reduction potential?

All kidding aside, the efficiency gains make it a very tempting upgrade. If only it was closer to 3k usd ....
sure wouldn't want to be motoring around logs or anything that could ding it. it would make a grown man cry
If they sold them for half of that, they'd easily sell 3x as many. And then they'd have more people hooked on the efficiency who won't buy anything else.

I actually just had a great idea. You could get a couple regular fishing buds to buy you one, in exchange for one season of free trips. Win win win.

These were talked about in a thread last year.

I will consider a set of these when they are readily available and there's some sort of local support (if that ever happens)

There's a handful of barriers for me to forking out a small fortune for these:

-If I'm spending 15k on a set I want to be sure I've got the fit right. Don't see how you could be that with the sharrow setup. I always trial a couple different prop setups with new power, otherwise how do you know it's the right fit?

- the only comparison test to be found online is with a underpowered 32' 14000lb cat with twin 300 yams. That thing is a dog. I suspect that comparison is setup by sharrow to showcase the best possible improvements. Would be nice to have some real reviews that aren't paid for by the manufacturer.. Maybe they've just started shipping these and that's the reason there aren't handful of YouTube vids with different boats done by guys that actually paid for the product.... I dono but makes me wonder.

-debris getting stuck in the loops. Don't know if this would be the case or not but we ain't in the gulf.

- I'd be worried they might be target for thieves.

If they were 30% more efficient in our application they would pay for themselves eventually. Would still take 2-3 years.

I think it would make more sense on a new build if it allows you to power a boat with a set of 150s instead of a set of 225s. On a big build it might let you comfortably stick with twins instead of triples. Now that's an interesting thought. Then you save immediately, pack less weight, and possibly see better fuel efficiency?

How about twin 300s with sharrows vs twin 425 conventional? Now that makes a bunch of sense if it works. Then your saving yourself coin off the bat. Interesting.

Last edited:
These were talked about in a thread last year.

I will consider a set of these when they are readily available and there's some sort of local support (if that ever happens)

There's a handful of barriers for me to forking out a small fortune for these:

-If I'm spending 15k on a set I want to be sure I've got the fit right. Don't see how you could be that with the sharrow setup. I always trial a couple different prop setups with new power, otherwise how do you know it's the right fit?

- the only comparison test to be found online is with a underpowered 32' 14000lb cat with twin 300 yams. That thing is a dog. I suspect that comparison is setup by sharrow to showcase the best possible improvements. Would be nice to have some real reviews that aren't paid for by the manufacturer.. Maybe they've just started shipping these and that's the reason there aren't handful of YouTube vids with different boats done by guys that actually paid for the product.... I dono but makes me wonder.

-debris getting stuck in the loops. Don't know if this would be the case or not but we ain't in the gulf.

- I'd be worried they might be target for thieves.

If they were 30% more efficient in our application they would pay for themselves eventually. Would still take 2-3 years.

I think it would make more sense on a new build if it allows you to power a boat with a set of 150s instead of a set of 225s. On a big build it might let you comfortably stick with twins instead of triples. Now that's an interesting thought. Then you save immediately, pack less weight, and possibly see better fuel efficiency?

How about twin 300s with sharrows vs twin 425 conventional? Now that makes a bunch of sense if it works. Then your saving yourself coin off the bat. Interesting.
In my dreams, I planned on putting two 350 dual prop Suzukis on my podded Commander. The only reason for considering the dual prop was for the increased performance without having to jump way up in power. If these gave me 30% more efficiency I could potentially run twin merc 300s instead. It would be a game changer in that scenario. To basically reiterate what you just said.

If I'm spending 15k on a set I want to be sure I've got the fit right. Don't see how you could be that with the sharrow setup. I always trial a couple different prop setups with new power, otherwise how do you know it's the right fit?
Thats a TON of money for a weeknd guy you would never see the savings compared to a $1,500 set up

This is an interesting development. Might have something to do with the huge price drop being reported.

For me the value is increased range. That's a hard thing to buy.

This is an interesting development. Might have something to do with the huge price drop being reported.

For me the value is increased range. That's a hard thing to buy.
Agreed, I’m fuel efficient already but if I can increase range that dramatically, it’s worth an investment at the new rumoured price.

Back