Tofino '06

• Thread starter Thread starter TGee
  • Start date Start date
T

TGee

Hello y'all
I'm putting together a plan to visit the Tofino area next summer.
What I know so far is what I can glean from the net.
Now understand I not that good with the damn computer so....I asking for some help .
So far the plan goes like this:

Trailer up w/pick-up , camper ,25' Davis diesel.
Fish & sightsee for 2-3 weeks.
Store truck, camper & boat and fly home (not retired yet).
Fly back up twice and drive the whole rig home on the last trip.

What I would like help with is recommendations for campgrounds, fishing guides, long term storage and so on.
Any first-hand info would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

If your planning to put up big numbers than Tofino's down on my list. If your planning to walk around town and smoke some pot than Tofino's your best bet!!! Although Tuf City Sushi's almost worth the drive!!!

Pass the Pack

As the others stated Tofino can be a nightmare for people and traffic, Tahsis is good fishing along with Nootka ,the only problem there is Luna the friendly killer whale that may take a shine to your boat and knock a chunk off of it.
I like Bamfield and Barkley sound area, Poett Nook is an excellent basin and sheltered moorage and the fishing is consistently good there; about the only issue there is when the sealions come in to feed especially off of Fleming rocks and Kirby Point they will rob you blind right up to the boat.
Nice part about Barkley Sound is if it blows up you have some decent inside sheltered areas to fish.

For what it 's worth.

A

TGee
Tofino has sold out (sportfishing) for other interests (surfing/eco tours).
It's not possible to camp out by the Government dock and fish anymore.
The fishing was good this past year, just late.
The only way to do what you propose is to hook up with a local. And alot of the friendly retired commercial guys have sold out and moved on. "Tough City" is right.

"Green Point" campground is great but watch out- they have a bear love program No fish blood. coolers etc!!!

You can keep your fish, boat + get a guide at Weigh West Marina.

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!
You guys are great.

Tim

There's a place called Mussel Beach that will suit-a bit out of the way but not far.
They have a site but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Tahsis looks like paradise.
I wonder how I'd do with my rig on the road there?
To quote BC.com...
From Gold River, follow the signs for approximately 40 miles (64 km) to the northwest on a gravel road through beautiful mountain passes to Tahsis. You will be driving on active logging roads, some stretches of which have steep grades of up to 14%, so caution is required.
GULP!

Tim

I have fished in the Tahsis area on and off from the early 70's, a friend of mine still lives and fishes out of that area.
The road in is OK , some of the bad spots and steep inclines have had a semi paved job done on them, Tlupana hill can be exciting if you meet a logging truck but generally it's wide enough for the traffic, commercial and recreational.
You can take a side trip into Cougar creek which has a camping area and boat launch, from there its about 17 miles to Friendly cove and prime fishing area's , there is gas available at Critter Cove across from Galiano bay, also has a coffeee shop and showers, bait etc.
Continue on to Tahsis and after launching there a side trip to Zeballos will bring you into some very good red snapper fishing off of "Fleetwood" about 4 miles before the turn in to Zeballos bay; ask the locals for the "Fleetwood" area it was named after a steep side hill logging show about 35 years ago.
Look into Ceepeecee an old cannery , first aid/hospital area back in the 1940,s interesting remains

A.

"Westview Marina"
OK ...that's the place.
A thousand thanks for all of your help!

Tim

Back