Tested/Testng New Tackle

One of my earlier manufactures I was testing for created this spinner for saltwater and freshwater. In the fresh they were having great success for salmon and steelhead in the USA . They said they would send me a few sample but 27 of them arrived. SURPISE! I had the opportunity to test them out on the beaches of East Vancouver Island casting in the later part of the season when the Coho get stubborn to bite and they strike out out of aggression. Well these spinners really pissed them off. We caught many Coho. The paint was powder coated so they last allot longer than the painted competitor versions on the market. View attachment 30316

Nice Alot of people been doing well here in the rivers in the lower mainland tossing these for Coho. They usually just make them themselves and call them colorado spinners. They work well in clear slow moving water.

Caught This Fatie Two days ago using a silver one.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Last edited:
Nice Alot of people been doing well here in the rivers in the lower mainland tossing these for Coho. They usually just make them themselves and call them colorado spinners. They work well in clear slow moving water.

Caught This Fatie Two days ago using a silver one.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Colorado Spinners are traditionally made of swivels , split rings , Colorado blade and today single barbless hook. The spinners I was testing are bell spinners. The colorado spinners have little weight where the bell spinners can be 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz. Another difference is colorado blade does not use a clevis making the whole spinner spin where the clevis allow the bell blade to spin with out the spinner its self spin.
P3280010.jpgtimthumb.php.jpeg

Colorado Spinners are traditionally made of swivels , split rings , Colorado blade and today single barbless hook. The spinners I was testing are bell spinners. The colorado spinners have little weight where the bell spinners can be 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz. Another difference is colorado blade does not use a clevis making the whole spinner spin where the clevis allow the bell blade to spin with out the spinner its self spin.
View attachment 30334View attachment 30333

Yeah i actually found out the other day I was calling them the wrong thing. How do they compare in value to blue foxes?
60-00-114ic.png

The blue fox bell colour is painted on where the tested ones are powder coated. They don't degrade as fast through the abrasion of use or the teeth of the salmon. Here is a sample of a Blue Fox after one season being used on the beaches East Coast Vancouver Island. It caught about 10 Coho. It was washed after each use and hung to dry. The rust and degradation of the blade could not be stopped.P3190001.JPG

Last edited:
Just a observation.... the blue fox blade looks to be silver plated and the other is nickel plated... the blue fox paint is lost were the blade contacts the body...salt water is hard on all lures.. did u fish a difference on fish caught using the silver plated blade (fox) and the nickel plated?

Just a observation.... the blue fox blade looks to be silver plated and the other is nickel plated... the blue fox paint is lost were the blade contacts the body...salt water is hard on all lures.. did u fish a difference on fish caught using the silver plated blade (fox) and the nickel plated?

Good observation. I did say with powder coating ..." they don't degrade as fast through the abrasion of use...."

The lure I tested is nickel plate and the other is silver plated. You have to remember I wash the lures after every outing and hang them to dry. So even though silver is better than nickel it is the nickel that held up. So there is a question about the silver. I leave it to others to hypothesis as I just test . There was a little rust showing on the prototype near the area were the blade contacts the clevis at the season end and more deviation occurred on the secound season before I lost it.

The body showed a few light scratches but not bellow the powder coat. Powder coat is stronger than painted surface. Unfortunately I lost that lure used to a huge Coho so you will have to believe me.......... or not. My reference is to my daily notes for every outing.

We have not discussed the quality of the hook. There was no rust showing on the hook were the other spinner's hook was rusty even though good washing occurred.

This is not a bashing on the competitor . Just tested results and observation during the 2013 season. I refrained from naming the other spinner and only used the name after asked to compare to them. Both lures were exposed to salt water and catching Coho salmon about the same catch amount.

Thank u for that.... I was more refereeing to the flash given off from the blade? Did u catch more on the chrome of the silver.. I know silver kicks the ars off the chrome in the river for fish... I guess I should have read you last line about 50/50..intersting I would have have thought it would have been more to the silver plate.. back in the day fish the Capilano river mouth for cohoes & springs, the silver plated stuff was the king.... used the get the old brass spin wells & blades and plate them ...

Wigglefin Swarm Flasher . WiggleFin sent me their Swarm Flasher to test out in our local waters in 2014 . I used them as a dummy flasher attached to the down rigger ball. Traditional when using a flasher you have two surfaces of reflection to attract the salmon. With the Swarm you have over eight . The object is to get their attention and investigate. Testing it against the traditional flasher there is a drag difference so you want to make sure there is a good distance in height between to two different flashers if your using them together. . You will understand when you do a turn. Here is video on the Swarm.

vhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI708T7cxvk

Like all product I am given to test its not about bashing other systems. So Keep a open mind . Its about trying new developments that could increase your daily catch.

getimage-1.php.jpeg getimage.php.jpeg

Last edited:
didn't know there was another competitor..... but that happens in this day of age.

Last edited:
Wigglefin Swarm Flasher . WiggleFin sent me their Swarm Flasher to test out in our local waters in 2014 . I used them as a dummy flasher attached to the down rigger ball. Traditional when using a flasher you have two surfaces of reflection to attack the salmon. With the Swarm you have over eight . The object is to get their attention and investigate. Testing it against the traditional flasher there is a drag difference so you want to make sure there is a good distance in height between to two different flashers if your using them together. . You will understand when you do a turn. Here is video on the Swarm.

vhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI708T7cxvk

Like all product I am given to test its not about bashing other systems. So Keep a open mind . Its about trying new developments that could increase your daily catch.

On the Alaskan fishing forums I'd noticed the swarm flashers were becoming quite popular. Lots of guys up there swear by them. I was thinking of trying one but there's no local retailers, and I didn't feel like doing an online order through the border.

View attachment 30427 View attachment 30426

Those flashers are quite popular in Alaska

Very excited as AP Tackleworks from Victoria BC is gathering a trolling lure package to send me to test out on our water for the up coming season for the chinooks. I love being a pro staff and field tester.
Stay tune for up coming reports. If there is any member out there near Nanaimo going out and want to be part of the adventure having a empty seat going out on the water give me a e-mail . I normally have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off.

The object would be testing the lures against the local or individuals favourite. Please note its not for bashing but finding new ways to increase our catch rate.Lemon+lime+ALL.jpgScreen+Shot+2015-10-07+at+10.36.42+AM.png

You won't be disappointed,
IMO the best lure's to arrive in the last 10 years.

I believe your right. That is the fun of testing. I had the only prototype casting herring spoon 3/8 ounce for casting for 2016 and landed 8 coho off the beaches one morning. That is another adventure as 2017 will have a huge amount of prototype casting spoons sent to me.

Can't wait to give their trolling spoons a try. Give me E if your open to an adventure together. Been 30 years since I fished the Victoria ( Sooke ) area.

I did the same thing on Swiftsure one day when fishing was good (beer can spoon) but they weren't as fancy because I made them in the boat as we emptied the cans,but they worked.Good for a giggle.:)o_O

Back