Tahsis Trip

bigbruce

Crew Member
Shout out to John and Cathy at Westview Marina in Tahsis. Four of us went up there for 3 days this week and rented Westview's 3 bedroom cottage while we went pawning. The accommodations were great and the pawning was pretty good as well - we managed to come home with our limit, having set traps at various locations within 15 - 20 minutes from the marina. The road was in pretty good shape - no problems towing my 21' Striper. Only issue, for me at least, was that the launch ramp was not very steep and I had to get my truck wheels wet to launch/retrieve my boat.

was the road paved yet?

Road is not paved. Well there are a few paved sections but they are normally worse than the gravel. Can't imagine it ever being paved the whole way. The gravel road is normally in good condition though.

As saanauk said, there are paved sections - the big hill into town being an important one - but the gravel sections are in very good shape. It seems to be graded regularly as we passed graders both going in on Wednesday and out on Saturday. It had rained the night before we pulled my boat out of there so no dust.
I pull a 2101 Striper and would not hesitate doing it again.

John and Cathy run a great operation and are wonderful hosts. My brother and I have been going there several years now and I honestly cannot think of anywhere that I would rather be in the summer time than at Westview. I'm already super excited for this year's trip. Great to hear that you had a fun and productive trip.

rumour has it that the ministry is telling the mine that they are responsible to pave the road if they plan on hauling ore out. was hoping it was paved this winter/ spring... last fall

FT - We did troll a bit around Centre Island and hooked several little ones and a few pacific cod. Had a line in around Rosa as well for an hour or so but really didn't fish too enthusiastically.

tyee - where do you fish up there in the summer - anything closer than Esperanza?

FT - We did troll a bit around Centre Island and hooked several little ones and a few pacific cod. Had a line in around Rosa as well for an hour or so but really didn't fish too enthusiastically.

tyee - where do you fish up there in the summer - anything closer than Esperanza?

We fish offshore out of Esperanza when the weather allows. We go as far as 15 miles out but the last few years have found that we do just as we'll closer to shore. Once the westerlies pick up we move in and fish Rosa, Ferrier,etc. If the weather forecast is real snotty then we will run down to Nootka and fish the inside waters. That's one of the great things about the area . . . Great access to the offshore fishery but still plenty of protected water options when the weather doesn't cooperate.

We're scheduled for 7/30 to 8/4 this year. We usually go a week later but the darn moon isn't cooperating.

Sounds like a great area to fish…we have a trip planned to go to Rodgers Fishing Lodge during the first week of September, they pick us up at Westview Marina at Tahsis and take us out to the floating lodge. This is our first time fishing in this area, if the fishing is good we plan on making more trips in the future. They are going to take us out for a couple of trips for Tuna. We are looking forward to that!.

Thanks for the report...planning to be up there towards the end of May,ready for some hali fishing for sure.Plus some lings and a shot at a early salmon or 2! Right on about John and Kathy,top notch people and willing to help you with info of whats happening.

bigbruce Thanks for all the Good marks on Westview Marina, Our Lodging & Fishing. We just got back from our out of town trip.
It was great meeting you & the other 3 guys. Renew friends & new ones. You might want to check out our home page
www.westviewmarina.com under media-the most resent newsletters. Looks like we may get a regulation change that will help us get at the HUGE
Spring run entering Esperanza inlet this season. See you soon.
Fish On John

bigbruce Thanks for all the good marks on Westview Marina, our lodging & the Fishing.
We just got back from our out of town trip which include DFO fishery meeting.
Take a look at our home page www.westviewmarina.com- under media- the latest newsletter.
We may be getting some changes that will allow sporties to harvest more of this hugh spring run that will enter Esperanza Inlet &
Nootka Sound this season.
Nice meeting you & your 3 fishing friends. New & renew Friends. See you again soon.
Fish On John

does anyone know how long it will take me in my boat going around 21knts, to where the fishing is good in tahsis?

That depends on what you consider good fishing.

From Westview Marina to the start of the Esperanza Inlet (heading west to the outside) is approx. 3.75nm and continuing on out, it's approx. 17.5nm from
Westview to Center Island and from Westview it's approx. 22.75nm to Ferrier Point on the outside. If you come out of Tahsis and head south, not turning
west at the 3.75nm mark, and follow Tahsis Inlet south, it's approx. 11.8nm to the north end of Strange Isle & another 3nm to the south end of Strange Isle.
You are now in Nootka Sound................lots of many "good fishing areas" Gas, bait/tackle,food,etc just around the corner at Critter's Cove or another 5.5nm
to Moutcha Bay Resort

Don't get me wrong I have had some fantastic trips to Esperanza fishing out of Tahsis/Westview as a base but I hardly do anymore for one main reason. How far you have to travel from Tahsis just to get to get the surfline. With the introduction of the slot limits when I was going there regularily plus the inside closures in summer it became necessary to travel further to reach chinook to keep . Even Ferrier Pt, which was an awesome spot and produced some of our best fishing in the past, we had to deal at with closures and slot limits in August - and that was still a 22-25mile run from Tahsis. My travel is normally only possibly in August and the 'highway' of USA fish offshore, often the target, required an even longer boat ride .
Alternatively Ucluelet, Tofino, Bamfield are towns very close to the surfline - no need to travel a 15-20 miles of inlet first then all the way back afterwards. Save on time and money by and putting yourself closer to the fishing grounds I say. Tahsis is a west coast village up an inlet and has an apeal however another it doesn't offer the amenities that some of the other larger towns offer like Ukee ,Tofino or even Bamfield - if that is at all important to your trip.

Don't get me wrong I have had some fantastic trips to Esperanza fishing out of Tahsis/Westview as a base but I hardly do anymore for one main reason. How far you have to travel from Tahsis just to get to get the surfline. With the introduction of the slot limits when I was going there regularily plus the inside closures in summer it became necessary to travel further to reach chinook to keep . Even Ferrier Pt, which was an awesome spot and produced some of our best fishing in the past, we had to deal at with closures and slot limits in August - and that was still a 22-25mile run from Tahsis. My travel is normally only possibly in August and the 'highway' of USA fish offshore, often the target, required an even longer boat ride .
Alternatively Ucluelet, Tofino, Bamfield are towns very close to the surfline - no need to travel a 15-20 miles of inlet first then all the way back afterwards. Save on time and money by and putting yourself closer to the fishing grounds I say. Tahsis is a west coast village up an inlet and has an apeal however another it doesn't offer the amenities that some of the other larger towns offer like Ukee ,Tofino or even Bamfield - if that is at all important to your trip.

And that is a part of what makes the pursuit of salmon so much fun. We really are blessed with a huge variety of options from which to choose.

Personally I find the run from Tahsis perfectly acceptable because of the quality of the offshore fishery, the quality of the inshore fishery (which is not a long run) and the great atmosphere at Westview Marina. It looks like we stand a great chance of having some pretty favorable regulations this summer for both the offshore and the inshore fishery. Even in the years when we don't catch and release is perfectly acceptable with me.

With all of that said I completely understand your point about other locations. Again we really are a fortunate bunch!

Bang on, tyeeking - the exercise is to balance the cost of accommodation,meals and moorage between location A vs location B with the fuel costs to get to the fishing grounds form A or B along with whatever the hell else one must factor into the equation....to have the best fishing experience possible!

My kid is working at the lodge this summer.
If you are going there, say, "Hi!" to Grace for me!

John and Cathy are good people for sure !! With their knowledge and passion for the sport, they could not have chosen a profession more suited to them.

Back