Stupid queations..

Totally unexpected

Wondering what my sog should be and what leader lengths work best in our local waters( sandheads west van bowen thrasher polier)? I know there are alot of factors but just trying to get dialed in so im not just wasting time. I have had some success but its been limited i have all kinds of gear and try many different set ups and tacks i just want to try and dial in my game. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wondering what my sog should be and what leader lengths work best in our local waters( sandheads west van bowen thrasher polier)? I know there are alot of factors but just trying to get dialed in so im not just wasting time. I have had some success but its been limited i have all kinds of gear and try many different set ups and tacks i just want to try and dial in my game. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Whatever worked, do that again. ;)

Rigger line angle. That's it. SOG means nothing. Between 30-60 degrees off vertical is what you're shooting for. BUT cannon weight, type of DR line, one rod or stacking, flashers or naked, type of fishing line and depth are all variables. So if you're fishing 18's and you have braid on both and you're fishing one naked chovie at 50 feet then 45 degrees is probably way too fast. But if you're using 12's with stainless DR line stacking gear with flashers fishing 200' then you'd probably need to be 60 degrees on your riggers (and fishing 280' on the rigger to actually hit 200' on your gear o_O). Leaders could be between 2'-4' for hoochies and 4'-7' for spoons and bait. Clip to flasher length? Anywhere between 8' for hoochies and 30' for tangles. Look up the thread that I think @Stizzla started, something like "what makes you better" or something like that. It was from last year. Good luck.

SOG 2.3 -3.0. That can vary with current. I watch my rigger lines and just know where they need to be so my gear is running right. Stay in the middle, 2.5 and watch your rigger lines when you catch fish so you know what to look for on your boat.
Leader lengths may vary for many different reasons. If I use flashers with bait or spoons 5-6 ft back. I usually run those naked though so i'll clip at about 5' back from the flasher and 2-2.5ft above. Hootchies 28 - 30" will catch just about anything. Shorter than 28', Coho, Socs and pinks. Just keep at it and pay attention to the details and what you are doing when you get bites or fish. Cheers.

I run braided line on my riggers w/18 lb or 15 lb balls depending on the tide and wind. 2 of my rods are running flourocarbon and two are running chameleon iv been using 6 to 7 foot leeaders on my teaser heads and spoons skinny g's pescas, and others in assorted sizes. Havent really tried much hoochie action. Dont understand how to rig my flashers seperate from my rod and have been a little afraid of stacking rods as i think it may just wind up a spagehtti mess lol. But ill do some more research and trial and error and report back on the weekend and let you all know how we do. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge its greatly appreciated

I've watched people troll backwards before at sandheads when the current was ripping. Usually when you get into that just got to live with the big angle on the DR lines or you wont cover any ground.

locally SOG tends to be 2-3. For hootchies in the summer I find short leaders do better 16-24 inches. Chovies will get you the most hookups pulled 5-6 feet behind your favorite glow flasher.

my biggest fish last year at sandheads was caught on a sockeye hootchy my only 20+ pounder of the year.

Yeah betweenbthe tides and the river running out there it can get pretty hairy my boat has an enclosed cockpit on it as well so any wind on my tail tends to push me faster too

What I am using is this; 3.0 SOG with a short 26" leader for hoochies, and 36" for bait. I clip the line about 12' above the 15 lb canon ball and I attach the clip as low as I can on the tuna twine then zero out the rigger at the clip level.

Oh ya, I also run my clips and drags as tight as I can, helps me stick fish as I mostly fish solo or with others who do not have any interest at all so the best I can get out of them is to steer the boat.

Back