still any fish coming off the waterfront?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mongoose
  • Start date Start date
I got a small one on the flats last night about 5:30...
about a 5 lb hatchery on a "Mongoose" spoon !!
there were lots of birds and ballups.
The winter's are on the way !

Nice day on the water today, fishing slow...
one 5lb spring (hooked in the eye)[V] west side of Trial island
on a green/chrome coyote.
Crabbing has been good off willows beach in 25-35' of water.

willows hey? right on!! how deep are you going for those springs?

pretty slow today, hooked an released a small spring off clover point
fishing deep. Ran out to Constance and trolled around at 140'
and hooked another one about 4-5 lbs.
bleeding bad so bonked it.
spoons fished deep

i think its about time for me to drag the boat out and get some winters. but got manual downriggers.. (lots of cranking). i have never once fished for winter springs off the waterfront. could i just fish the same areas that i would in the summer, ie breakwater, brochie ect or would i have to go out to deep water?? any areas? next sunday ill be out there

Fish exact same area's , only as deep as your manuals will let you...
i know a guy who fished off Clover at 120' on his manuals in the
winter and does well !

does that guy who fishes off clover point have a silver streak aluminum boat???

I've had a few brewskies so I hope you don't mind if I sound off.
Again.
I keep afloat one of those sad-butt older boats =17'Campion( but with excellent electronics and engine). You know, the guy that tows you in
when all your fancy electronics run down your battery?
I have manual riggers. Now there is a Sportsman for you!
(You commercial guys are exempt from this criticism.)
In my opinion, because I'm too cheap to spout for electric riggers, a "true sportsman" has manual riggers thus giving a fish an honest chance.
I figure an honest fisherman, using Sooke as his home base will catch more than he and his kin can eat in a year without trying too hard.
So therefor, anyone who uses an electric downrigger is wealthy or not cheap(like me)or lazy or old and infirm.
You catch a big fish, in a rip tide with manuals, with 2 rods out by yourself and tell me you did not earn your fish.
You guys with the big Gradys need not reply.

quote:Originally posted by saltydawg

Again.
I keep afloat one of those sad-butt older boats =17'Campion( but with excellent electronics and engine). You know, the guy that tows you in
In my opinion, because I'm too cheap to spout for electric riggers, a "true sportsman" has manual riggers thus giving a fish an honest chance.
I figure an honest fisherman, using Sooke as his home base will catch more than he and his kin can eat in a year without trying too hard.
So therefor, anyone who uses an electric downrigger is wealthy or not cheap(like me)or lazy or old and infirm.
You catch a big fish, in a rip tide with manuals, with 2 rods out by yourself and tell me you did not earn your fish.

Hat's off to a great rant! :D

quote:Originally posted by saltydawg

Again.

Whine whine whine...

Ok... how about 4 to 6 rods out, electrics, kicker engine, wind blowing, etc etc.. for the guys on the Grady...it's not exactly a "cakewalk" cuz of the electrics...a different set of challenges entirely...

You know..it's not too difficult to land a fish with the riggers still down, anyways...just takes some different manoevring of the boat dependent of the circumstances......etc etc...

But seeing that you loathe the guys in big Gradys...I'll make sure I wave when I troll past you! :)

tight lines!

Yes, SaltyDawg gave us a good rant for sure. Although, I`ll bet my boat and downriggers(manuals) are even older than his.LOL !!!

I fish in a 25yr old 17' campion with manual downriggers, have been for years, give me that grady and electrics any day!
Does is really matter? I just need to be out on the water.:)

I agree completely. Just being out there fishing is great. My 32 year old 24 ` Fibreform does that. As far as downriggers go, I have no idea how long Scotty has been making downriggers but I think they are probably as old as the boat. [:p].
Anyone here know how long it`s been since Scotty made them blue[?].

I had a set of the old blue short arm riggers also...
i believe they were made in the mid to late 1970's
they went to the black units sometime in the 80's.

ha, ya if you want a real challenge you should also never respool your reels and never sharpen your hooks ;) - Hows that for giving the fish a chance?

Back