Stainless steel props

• Thread starter Thread starter Brisco
  • Start date Start date
so i went with good old aluminium. i know i would get greater hole shot with ss but??? worth it???scottyboy

Scotty, I'm leaning twards the aluminum as well.I am getting different opinions on which s.s. will work best for me.At a price of over 600.00 for least expensive s.s. and over 1000.00 for the Mercs I don't think its worth it.I'll play with the 4 blade to get the best cruise speed and economy.Also I'll be launching mostly in the Fraser this year and those sticks are everywhere.

quote:Originally posted by scottyboy

i know ss props don`t flex so theres more tork thats a huge benifit. but what about when you hit something the prop wont give but something must! when i bought my new evinrude e-tec 2 years ago it was a put 2 me this way , somethings gotta give and it`s usually the bottom end "leg" that gets hurt . what do you guys think about this??? scottyboy

I find myself "mulching" a lot of stuff with my SS. and power-dredging the river at Port Renfrew a lot in the summer. Two outboards and a sterndrive later, no problems bending the shafts on any of them.. You would probably kill your lower unit tho if you like putting the hammer down to get your boat on the trailer at the launch and smack the concrete.

quote:Originally posted by brisco

Scotty, I'm leaning twards the aluminum as well.I am getting different opinions on which s.s. will work best for me.At a price of over 600.00 for least expensive s.s. and over 1000.00 for the Mercs I don't think its worth it.I'll play with the 4 blade to get the best cruise speed and economy.Also I'll be launching mostly in the Fraser this year and those sticks are everywhere.

Try Vic Prop, they are very reasonable. The Boaters Exchange also has a great selection of SS props, most with the removable hubs so you can adapt to any lower unit. I have a 15x19 SS unit for Merc/Yamaha I would part with for the right price, PM me if interested.

Well to sum it up boys you hit a big chunk of wood no matter what if it is SS or alum. you may wreak the leg anyways. so your screwed either way right but a little piece will not hurt a SS at all but it will ding an alum. I have seen bent shaft from alum props as well as SS I like SS and will never ever go back to alum again you get one little ding in a alum and the balance is way out the boat shakes I HATE it I bet I spent more money on fixing alum than the 5 years with the same SS prop.

The handling and the performance is way better!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Back