Stainless steel props

• Thread starter Thread starter Brisco
  • Start date Start date
B

Brisco

I've always been shy to run stainless props fearing to damage my drive when hitting sticks etc. But now I have noticed prices are way down and stainless props are supposed to run smoother and give a bit better fuel economy? Would like to hear from anyone who has made the switch.

At the prices you can get them for today,
it may be worth trying.
i have run aluminum on my outboard for a couple years with out
a problem, but i understand there's flex to alum props
which may decrease performance.[?]

The main difference to alum against S.S. for a small boat not much but for a bigger heavier boat an alum as RS said flexs to much so out of the hole a s.s works better I am running a 17 pitch 3 blade SS with a 1 inch cup for the boat now . When you fist get a boat it is a trying and sometimes difficult thing to get just the right prop for a boat there are alot of factors I tried about 8 different props

1 wot rpm varies for each engine.

2 speed

3 hole shot

4 economy

4 then you have to try 3,4,5 blade props

It can be endless have fun try a lot of different ones and record how each one handles and responses and performs and tell who ever you deal with props all the info and he will get you the one best suited for your boat.

Good luck Wolf

Been running SS, 21", 3 blade prop for a couple years on the chuck and lake; have hit both wood and rock accidentally with no damage to shaft.
Like Wolf said, I too tried a few props before finally finding the sweet spot.
Pay close attention to max engine revs as per your manufacturer specs. Too high could cause engine damage, too low reduces performance.
PinchMe:D

Wolf,

I see on your website you run a 305/230 h.p. Your 20 Double Eagle is close to my 21 Seaswirl.I am using a 19" prop behind a 225 h.p. 4.3 Volvo and am starting to think about pitching down to stay on plane easier etc. I realise I'll be giving up some fuel economy and cruise speed. Would you mind posting a few of your numbers between props?

I did the whole prop demo thing ,couldn't believe the differance , especially with the flexing. I tried about 12 different ones S.S. and alum ,for performance definately S.S. . Every boat , motor , gear combo is different so you will need some help . I had mercury marine help me .

I played with numerous 3 blade props as well, i settled for a 18" 4 blade alluminum behind my Vortec 4.3. I then pitched it up to 18.5" and am very happy with both out of the whole and keeping the top speed. Makes a drastic improvment with lots of weight and cruises at my desired speed at 150 rpm less than a three blade.

Brisco i am in the process of updating the site sold that boat am now running a 23 ft glasply with pod and a 225 optimax on the back end and using a 3 blade ss.

As maddog said the 4 blade works really good for inboards as the 4 blades bite and give you more hole shot my old boat loved the 4 blade as well but I suffered a bit in fuel economy so as from what you heard you have to try them all and now with the smart gauges it makes life a lot easier.

But I have learned a few neat things from the new boat that i never knew with a pod a 4 and the high 5 those types had a really hard time backing up the boat where the 3 blade is ok there was definanally less control I do miss the turning radius of an inboard with the bigger boat and the pod you need to turn a lot sooner than before found that out the first time I tried to park it LOL miss my berth completly and I am sure I looked like a total newbie but s&*t happens LOL LOL.

Good luck Wolf

I've got a 351W ford direct drive inboard in my 22 ft aquasport, how would a stainless steel prop work on something like that? I currently have a beonze prop on would the SS improve anything?

Maddog,

Your Trophy is similar to my boat as well.What kind of cruise speed and r.p.m. are you getting with the 4 blade you mention?

W.O.T is around 4400 rpm @ 38-41MPH, I cruise at about 3400- 3600 rpm @ 28-32 MPH. It's very close to the stock 19" 3 blade but with much better holeshot and steadier planing at lower speeds.

Steve at Victoria Propellor in Cobble hill is very helpful with letting you test props and repitching and such. Each boat is diffrent but if you start with the 18' 4 blade he will pitch it to your specified needs for free at least once. I went up 1/2 " on the stock 18" to get it perfect.

Hope this helps you out,

http://www.vicprop.com/

Maddog now you need to get a SS one and you will be even more impressed but you may have to put even more cup in it I switched over to SS from alum. in the ol blue wolf and couldnt believe how much better it was.
p.s. trotac can get them in as well.

Good luck Wolf

Any one care to offer advice for me

2000 bayliner capri bowrider 4.3 190 hp
I'd liek to go to a stainless steep prop

But I don't want to pay a kings ransom to try out different props
does any know what would be a good place to start for me?

combo family fun on the lake as well as fishing cruising on the sea (in good weather)

Dont know anyone who does props in new zealand Sorry

Good luck Wolf

i know ss props don`t flex so theres more tork thats a huge benifit. but what about when you hit something the prop wont give but something must! when i bought my new evinrude e-tec 2 years ago it was a put 2 me this way , somethings gotta give and it`s usually the bottom end "leg" that gets hurt . what do you guys think about this??? scottyboy

Back