Sport Fishing Advisory Area 17 - Spring meeting Thursday March 2nd 7-9pm

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
Just reminder of our meeting this week on Thursday. Would like to see a lot better attendance at this one. I know there are lots of members from Nanaimo on this forum!!

Did the harrison chinook come up as a topic in your meeting? apparently there is talk about having to reduce fishing on the stock and that would have pretty serious ramifications for inside fisheries from vancouver to campbell river.

Can we get the minutes for those of us who couldn't make it?

Did the harrison chinook come up as a topic in your meeting? apparently there is talk about having to reduce fishing on the stock and that would have pretty serious ramifications for inside fisheries from vancouver to campbell river.
I don't know why people are allowed to fish the spawning grounds.

Not in great detail, and in grand scheme of things what is there too cut back? It's already pretty much closed. Area 17 is really a mid spring/late spring fishery for main runs when we can't access anymore, and Cowichan restriction pretty much shuts most of it down in August. All that remains is some shore areas. Also not sure the closer shore fisheries when in opens in July have the DNA to support any more closures.

sent u a text... Just came aware of this last night at the sfac 23 meeting

Not in great detail, and in grand scheme of things what is there too cut back? It's already pretty much closed. Area 17 is really a mid spring/late spring fishery for main runs when we can't access anymore, and Cowichan restriction pretty much shuts most of it down in August. All that remains is some shore areas. Also not sure the closer shore fisheries when in opens in July have the DNA to support any more closures.

yeah there is not a whole lot of juice to squeeze left out of 29,28 and 17. 13,14,15 i believe have the higher exploitation rates for harrison.

my understanding is it's part of Pacific salmon treaties and new language that was put in a few years ago. Another stock that being looked at is Quinsam.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out of dfo yet, but they have kind briefly mentioned part of the IMP that cuts may be necessary.

kind of of annoying was hoping that maybe some of the SFAC on the island had heard more about this.

Pacific Salmon Treaty Obligations for Fraser Fall 4-1 (Harrison Chinook) and Quinsam Chinook The Pacific Salmon Treaty specifies that for individual stock-based management (“ISBM”) fisheries, U.S. and Canada shall manage these to limit the total adult equivalent mortality for stocks listed in Chapter 3 Attachment I of the Treaty that are not meeting agreed biologicallybased management objectives (escapement targets), or that do not have agreed management objectives (escapement targets), to no more than the limits identified in Attachment I of the Treaty. Harrison River Chinook and Quinsam Chinook have exceeded the threshold of the established ISBM CYER limits. DFO is considering additional management actions to reduce fisheries NEW FOR 2023/2024 2023/2024 Salmon Integrated Fisheries Management Plan – Southern BC Page 41 impacts on the Harrison and Quinsam indicator stocks so they no longer exceed the ISBM CYER limit.

They will distributed via email list. I believ your on it already. We are working on eventually getting a different meeting space with conference calling.
Hi, I was at the meeting and would like a copy of the minutes as well please. I left my email on the sign in sheet.

Back