Spark Plug Wires

Red Monster

So the wires on my old Merc outboard look fine, but I know they have not been changed in about ...oh 15 or more years. I'm wondering if it's time to change them?

I know the old girl can be hard to start when it's cold out, perhaps caused in part by old leads? I've also heard that the leads in outboards are not the same as the ones in cars and don't need to be changed. [?]

Can anyone educate me about this? :) Thanks

i would think they are the same as car wires thats unless they are solid core conductors, then they would be totally different then from car wires .New wires are always good bring back some more spark. after years of use and being yanked on every time youll pull them off the plugs will add up.

Outboard wires last forever as they are built totally different and made from S/S and way thicker one thing you got to remember is how many hours you put on them maybe 100 hours a year???for a personal pleasure boater bet you way less than that, ill use my old trolling motor it was 14 years old and I avg. about 1000 hours on it in a year and never replaced the wires went through a few plugs but not wires, try new plugs first thats always a good thing to do anyways. and make sure you always put fuel stabilizer in especially in the winter months.

Good luck Wolf

You can buy a kit from lordco that is made by Sierra for about $30 it has all the ends and pieces you need to make your own and still have tons left over. Way cheaper then the $100+ merc wants for a set. It really made a difference when I did mine both on my main and kicker.

If you want to see if your leads are leaking start your motor up in the dark you might be very suprized.

JMHO
Cheers ME

Well, I had a look at things in the dark, and I did see a few sparks. One lead had a constant spark half way along as it passed near the frame. Another spark was where two leads were touching about 6 inches below the distributor. Number 8 was arcing a bit about two inches from the plug. You could also see sparks kinda under most of the sparkplugs boots, but I assume that's normal?

I did find the kit for making new leads. I've never changed the leads so I guess the leads are probably the original ones from 1979.

Perhaps it's time to learn how to make custom spark plug wires? [:I]

ME, any advice on how to go about making spark plug wires, like how to go about fitting each end? I'm ordering the wire kit, but I've never done it. What tools are required? I do have a wire crimper that mentions "ignition terminals." Would you use this to crimp both ends? Any help would be appreciated.[:I]

Thanks

All you need is the tool you mentioned and a set of wire cutters. Everything is pretty straight forward I would also replace all your spark plug boots there cheap. The toughest part is slipping the wire into the boot. If you need any further advice on this call me @ 1-250-287-0131.

Cheers ME

Yes old outboards had solid wires(no resistance), but all newer models don't.If they leak extenally they have to go!.You can test them in the dark or spritz them with a sprayer of water to see if they leak, and the engine misses. You can use Vaseline or Silglyde for lube to help assemble the wires/boots. Remove & Do only one wire at a time!Do not mix them up!they have a firing order.You only need sharp cutters and terminal crimps and time.[8D]

Got the kit. Everything looks good except the brass part that goes on the spark plug end: it's straight whereas I thought it would be bent at 90 degrees like the boot. I wonder if I'm supposed to bend it or if I need a different brass end?

Took apart the old boot at the spark plug end and found the fitting on the wire is indeed quite different. I did get the old fitting off the wire and could easily reuse it. I see that the old fitting does not appear to made of brass unlesss it was coated in something else.

Hey, this is almost fun figuring the damn thing out. [8D]

You can buy the new 45's at any auto parts store.
Glad to hear your giving it a shot.

If it is an old merc with thunderbolt ign. it has a very high output through those ign. wires and doesn't take alot to leek and cause a lack in preformance. The shock from them is brain numbing ;)

Cheers ME

ZZZZZZ-Zap-Zap-Zap-Zap-Snap-Crackle-Pop. Ya, it was starting to sound a bit interesting.

Broke down and bought new fittings for the spark plug end, at a total cost of about $2.40 at NAPA. Did you know they carry the Sierra parts for boats?

Got all new everthing: boots, fittings and wire. Time to put it all together. [8D]

Piece of cake. [8D]

Once I took one of the old spark plug wires apart, ends too, I could see the anatomy of the whole thing and duplicate everything. Funny, I've re-assembled an entire car, but I've never built ignition leads. I've always just bought new pre-made sets. Live and learn.

Seems to run better. I'll need to take it out for a boot. I noticed the motor is running at an extra 400 rpm at idle. Of course I can adjust the throtle back, but me thinks this indicates the motor really likes those new wires. [^]

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Like most things..One man has done it, the others can too!![:p] Training, procedure and tools. Thou I don't think I'm up for walking on the moon....somewhat like some of my friends don't like a 15Ft swell sideways swinging in the tide on the anchor Hali fishing.:D

Why this boat is automatic
It's systematic
It's hydromatic
Why it's grease lightning!

Well, I took the boat out and the new wires are awesome: I can't remember when it ran better. In the past I could not get the motor to rev up to spec. which is about 5500rpm. I even changed the prop, and still it only went to 5000 at WOT. But now she does indeed hit 5500 and really flys through the water so I know everything is setup right. Sweet. [8D]

You are supreme the chicks'll cream for grease lightning

Back