Sooke Whalewatching Company Directly Asking for Sportfishing to Close

SpringVelocity

Crew Member
I was just made aware of this post today from local whale watching company in Sooke.

From the FB post:

Sadly, we are following up our previous post regarding the #srkw returning to the Salish Sea with a grim finding by a fellow whale watcher yesterday afternoon.

Yesterday evening at approximately 5pm we recieved a call regarding a badly emaciated killer whale that had been spotted in Race Passage. The whale was identified as K21 (Cappucino) the last surviving member of the K18 matriline.
K21 is/was badly emaciated. His dorsal fin was flopped over to the side and he could barely swim against the flooding current flowing through Race Passage.
We immediately contacted @cetus_society and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. As there were no vessels available to immediately get on scene and document the event, our vessel was tasked by DFO to acquire the location of the animal.

By the time we had arrive 30min later, the animal had barely moved at all from his original reported location. He was fighting for his life in the current and was all alone without his travelling companions. Just a couple of hours earlier, the remainder of the SRKW that had entered the Strait of Juan de Fuca had turned around an left after spending less than 36hours foraging here. K21, too weak to continue, was unfortunately left behind.
THIS IS NOT A GOOD SIGN!!

The Salmon stocks in the Salish Sea have never been worse, and in 2 days, our local waters will be once again flooded with fishing boats who will be competing with these animals for this very limited food supply.
IT'S TIME TO TAKE THE RODS OUT OF THE WATER!

The survival of the Southern Residents and the Chinook Salmon themselves is much more important than the desire to harvest these fish "for entertainment and personal gain". If we do not take responsibility for the harm we are causing to our oceans, grim scenes like this will only become more common.

This morning at 4:30am, members of K pod were heard on the hydrophone located at Sheringham Point. These animals likely returning to check on the status of their lost traveling companion. At roughly 35 years of age, K21 is far too young to die and will be sadly missed by his clan, and whale lovers everywhere

1627676270093.png
1627676306850.png

Whatever will the local SFBC "savant" have to say now that one of his own collegues has fired that shot across the bow???

Hmmmmm...

Nog

I stand by my words in the past that at the very least the Whale watching fleets should be regulated for how many hours a day they can harass the whales. How long would you last if I followed you around constantly? Stress and anxiety would quickly get to you. There are enough whale watching boats on the water radioing each other to keep pressure on them all day long. When I'm fishing I am trying to get as far away from Whales as possible. If I hear about whales on the radio it is an area to avoid. I believe they can still go in the "no fishing zones" to chase the whales. These zones were to give them a feeding ground. Maybe these should be "No fishing, No whale watching" zones.
If there are regs in play that I am not aware of I will stand corrected.

But, but, the Whale Watchers are on our side! I remember reading it on this site.
HE IS NOT, guys has only been doing this for 2.5 years but he is a expert on everything, other whale companies have donated alot of monies to the net pen project and volunteered alot of time I know many of them very well and trust me when I say this they are not impressed..

yeah, funny - i replied to it and he reported my post and got it removed for 'spam'. That's pretty damn far fetched facebook!
Does this look spammy to you? I personally thought it was educational!

Adventures by HIP mother nature had help for 1000's of year when it comes to seals/sea lions. Funny its the 40 years since we stopped helping her that things are now imbalanced. Seals alone consuming up to 27 million chinook annually (outgoing smolts in rivers & estuaries) clearly isn't sustainable.
As for hake, interestingly enough, I have never found a single study online that stated hake were 'major' predators or salmon fry was major part of diet - case in point: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/T06-058.1 "Both Pacific hake and jack mackerel ate juvenile salmonids, but at very low amounts. After considering population sizes in the study area, these two predators do not appear to be responsible for the death of large numbers of Columbia River juvenile salmon smolts."
or this one https://www.researchgate.net/.../237344857_Geographic... Euphausiids are the most common food item of Pacific Hake throughout its range, particularly in the spring and summer
So perhaps, she does need our help - last I checked, seals weren't miles and miles up rivers in the 80's eating smolts like they were popcorn. This newer behavior has been crippling for outgoing fish and the small cull on the Puntledge and immediate recovery of stocks is direct evidence of the effectiveness of targeting these repeat offenders.
Just saying.

HE IS NOT, guys has only been doing this for 2.5 years but he is a expert on everything, other whale companies have donated alot of monies to the net pen project and volunteered alot of time I know many of them very well and trust me when I say this they are not impressed..
Well I hope these other companies express their disagreement for this post on Facebook or any other media he might use. To remain quiet is to endorse his opinion and give the impression he speaks for the industry!

I called that guy out on all his mis-information, claims he doesn’t follow the SRKW around and only does tours of humpies. Told me his post wasn’t about sports fishing, I asked why it’s in bold letters in his post then. I see now all my comments and our conversation has been removed from his page. Guys a coward

I see now he’s blocked me on his page. Some people just don’t like factual opinions that go against the false narrative their trying to spin.

Just past the average lifespan of a male orca.... if there wasnt enough Chinook for him - would he have made it to ripe old age?

So for as much as these people constantly monitor and harass the whales they still don’t know how many their are?

Back