Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

The hot spots are the same every year...anywhere from the Race-Sheringham...roll the dice...ears to the ground... rod in the water..same oldx2...
stick / stay / make it pay...after all even he puts his pants on...one leg @ a time ;)...sammy

July at Otter Point

Hi everyone - I'm thinking of coming out to the island and hiring a guide to fish Sooke area July 9 - 12. What's the fishing like at this time of the year? Would it be better to try for halibut?
Thanks for any info you might have :)

Black I can tell you the doggies have moved in in full force had a buddy go out 60 dog fish later JR.....but then a buddy who went to race only got 1 but NO hali and saw only one caught IMAO by the time july comes the doggies will be everywhere. those dates for tides i looked up not good hali tides at all anyways unless you go hide from the current.
Im about to head out for the tide change for salmon now..

Good luck Wolf

A little update. There was a good bite on at the trap shack this morning as I watched at least a dozen and a hlaf nice fish into the high twenties landed. It was my turn to play a fish at 10:45 as the rod pounded of the downrigger and started peeling line before I could even get to it. The fish almost spooled the reel twice but we did a great job chasing it all over the trap. Then the fish sounded and sulked for about 10 mins before coming back up to go on another run. Now for whatever reason a boat was getting way to close and I yelled "fish on" as he continued to come closer. He kept the same path and never moved from his tach as he continued to drive exactly over where the fish was heading. I yelled for him to move multiple times as it was too late and he had run over the fish and snapped my line on his downrigger. So now after about 40 minutes the fight was over with a few dissapointed people. The fish was easily mid thirties most likely in the 40's from what I could see. I went and confronted the boat and he just stood there with a stupid look on his face. Anyways hopefully lesson learned for him. I don't wanna mention names but you know who you are. Also thanx to the numerous boats and people that did move as well as some even pulling there lines so I could play this monster.

Yes that is frustrating.. when there's lots of boats around stay on top or as close to your fish as you can get your main engine going and maneuver your boat around fast to block others that are coming for ya.. some times there nothing you can do.. it just happens.. some just don't get it or their just oblivious of what's happening around them..

Out at Possession this morning from 7-10. One hit that`s all. Not nearly as good as last weekend. Saw lots of fish on the sounder, lots of boats but not many fish caught. Any one else out there this morning.

YES sucks big time!!!!!!!!!!!! NO need for it at all !!!! Was at otter in the flood and the famous "double header" boat was scrrrrrrrrewing everything up again he likes to try and troll down on the inside on a hard flood making boats move every where!!!!!! so if you know him tell him its simple up on the inside (RIGHT ROD TO SHORE) or up on the inside down on the out it!!!!!!!! it all applies to everywhere we fish in sooke be it the head,trap,possesion, otter, muir or sheringham the right of way is inside in a flood tide if we all get in a circuit doing a counter clockwise rotation it makes it was easier and people dont have to scramble out of the way when someone gets a fish on PLEASE do it.

As for a report managed to pick up 2 bit slower from what ive heard. out tommorow

Good luck Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out for the first time in three weeks today. Got skunked again. Trolled from Secretary to Aldridge point and back for 6 hours . Counted over 80 boats along there but only saw one landed in all that time. Pestered by rockfish and small ling cod any time lure got within 15 feet of the bottom around the Trap and Beechy. Beautiful day on the water though, highlighted by an eagle swooping past my ear to grab a rockfish we had returned just 6 feet from the boat!!

I was in the Am bite in the shack.
90', chrome army truck did er for us.

Short leaders seem to help out right now ;)

Nice morning on the water,fairly busy with the milkman derby ...decent amount of bait showing here/there...70' was good for us...
a nice end to the week...sammy

Tropy2005--Do you have a camperback on your boat? I saw a guy playing a fish for a long time off of o'Brian. For us, we had 2 on--1 long distance release and 1 the seal took under the boat.Grrrr...
50-65 feet on bait for us.
T2

Trapshack payed for us today 27.7 lb 55 ft silverbetsy lime green glow head 9ft leader. It was the only hit all day

Trapshack payed off for us today 27.7lb silver betsy lime green glow head 9ft leader at 55ft. It was the only hit we got.

Fished 6:30am-1. Managed a 22.9 pounder. Missed another while busy stacking my rods 20 ft apart, the danm thing smashed it at 20 ft and almost ripped the rod out of the boat. Had it on for about a minute and then the rod dipped for a run and then slack. Had one other hit all on the trap reef. 59 ft and 64ft. Betsey gold flasher and betsey gold teaser head. Yes Lippy, short leaders do help somtimes. Even though the last 7 or 8 fish prior were on 8ft leaders.

-Steve

Fished 6:30am-1. Managed a 22.9 pounder.
-Steve

You lie........ I have it on good authority that that thing was closer to 22.87....
emo-coffee.gif

:p:D

What was the final tally at the milkman (is.farms) derby?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Wolf about the lack of common sense shown by "Double Header" when he consistently goes the wrong way through a group of boats at Otter Point. Come on man "wake up". It is not hard to figure out that you are causing chaos out there. If you keep it up someone will eventually force you up onto the beach.

Island farms derby had between 30 - 40 fish with the winner being 32#.. The Rodmans had 37 fish weighed in and 33# taking first place.

Back