So How Much do You Think This Spring Salmon Weighs?

View attachment 89063
I was going to link to that article but then read this
"Ocean ranching is a type of aquaculture in which juvenile fish are put into net pens in the ocean where they are fed and grown until being harvested later"
which is completely incorrect. Ocean ranching does NOT use net pens beyond the bare minimum to get smolts into the ocean.
Not sure how an article wins best in class for communication when it completely gets the key term wrong. :) But the graphic showing the invasive spread does look great.

Puerto Aysen

Puerto Aysen, Chili is 45.4035° South

Victoria, B.C. is 48.4284° North

Campbell river is 50.0331° N

I believe that these fish were taken from rivers in California, Oregon and British Columbia
I read an article claiming these fish were successfully transplanted from California, Oregon and British Columbia.

I was going to link to that article but then read this
"Ocean ranching is a type of aquaculture in which juvenile fish are put into net pens in the ocean where they are fed and grown until being harvested later"
which is completely incorrect. Ocean ranching does NOT use net pens beyond the bare minimum to get smolts into the ocean.
Not sure how an article wins best in class for communication when it completely gets the key term wrong. :) But the graphic showing the invasive spread does look great.

yeah I mainly posted it for the graphic that was taken from a peer reviewed paper. They basically colonized towards colder water to the south, kind of tells a lot I think about what we can expect with climate change.

yeah I mainly posted it for the graphic that was taken from a peer reviewed paper. They basically colonized towards colder water to the south, kind of tells a lot I think about what we can expect with climate change.
Salmon are colonizing into the Arctic up here which is expected from climate change but the fish, especially chinook, are shrinking dramatically in size across their entire range. IMHO there is something different about the North Pacific than the South where chinook are huge and expanding. It can't be fish farms because there's 17 times as many fish farms down there. It can't be total harvest because there's actually more salmon in the North Pacific than there's ever been. Individual rivers can have a harvesting problem but over all 5 species seems healthy. So far as I can tell the only smoking gun is pink salmon and especially ocean ranched pink salmon..

Back