So How Much do You Think This Spring Salmon Weighs?

Yup they are producing some nice fish down there. I follow a couple boys from there on instagram and they are starting to use some modern equipment out in the ocean and getting some nice results.

The tail size and girth around it seems a bit smaller or out of proportion from the hogs in Rivers, as an example.

Bet they have good regs down there lol
When I fished there 20 years ago they had good regs and a good fishery. The Chilean government made a concerted effort to establish a world class freshwater fishery by planting brown and rainbow trout. They were successful and developed a trout fishing “destination“ in southern Chile mostly in the 10 th and 11th regions from September through to March. It attracted a number of American fishermen (and guides) In the North American off season.

Don’t recall if they planted Chinook, they may have been established as a result of salmon farm escapes, couldn’t say either way. Tierra del Fuego has a world renowned fishery for sea run brown trout.

Bet they have good regs down there lol
No commercial fishery but sport fishing is no turkey shoot they do have CO's on the river and @ sea-barbed hooks are OK though.

Don’t recall if they planted Chinook, they may have been established as a result of salmon farm escapes, couldn’t say either way.
IIRC it was Japanese scientists who helped the Chileans establish the Chinook Salmon runs-it used to be against the law to keep fish farms escapees but since those are almost all Atlantics it seems it's not an issue all the videos I've seen never saw anyone hook an Atlantic just Chinook and occasionally (in Aysen) small Coho.

Last edited:
Puerto Aysen
Aren't they on almost the same axis of the earth? Almost there with the same climate ?

Puerto Aysen, Chili is 45.4035° South

Victoria, B.C. is 48.4284° North

Campbell river is 50.0331° N

I believe that these fish were taken from rivers in California, Oregon and British Columbia

Last edited:
When I fished there 20 years ago they had good regs and a good fishery. The Chilean government made a concerted effort to establish a world class freshwater fishery by planting brown and rainbow trout. They were successful and developed a trout fishing “destination“ in southern Chile mostly in the 10 th and 11th regions from September through to March. It attracted a number of American fishermen (and guides) In the North American off season.

Don’t recall if they planted Chinook, they may have been established as a result of salmon farm escapes, couldn’t say either way. Tierra del Fuego has a world renowned fishery for sea run brown trout.
Chile ocean ranched chinook for a while and then the chinook went invasive.

https://www.currentresults.com/Invasive-Species/Invasive-Water/chinook-709271.php

Chile has 17 times the density of fish farms as BC's peak. Wild chinook in Chile are huge in size and expanding range invasively while wild chinook in BC are shrinking in size and range.

Lots & lots of bait rivers not scraped bare by logging (lots of logging though) and no commercial fishery (lots of Sea Lions though).

Back