Snubber or No Snubber

Snubber imo just in case you get snagged up on structure, or even if your dragging in the mud less chance of ripping your rigger off the gunwales lol

Last edited:
years ago i was in Bammy fishing rocky structures by Sanford. guy i was with got too close to bottom and the cannon got snagged in the rocks. it was hell getting it back. took about half an hour. anyway the blue snubber was stretched to about four feet long after i got it in. couldn’t believe it. so yah i’m on team snubber

I donated a ball to the M.V. Vanlene in Barkely sound, and I’m really glad I had a snubber to let go instead of blowing up my spool or DR mount.

Definitely use a snubber!

Seems to make everything more forgiving without any appreciable downsides. Good spot to grab with your hand to bring the cannonball on board. Takes the shock out if you stop the brake too quickly. Seems to improve your odds if you get the ball hung up on the bottom.

C'mon @Ringo, we are heading to the off-season and need to re-hash our strongly held positions.
Did team snubber or team tuna cord win that thread?
Didn’t mean to stop the competition! We can even restart the bait vs. hardware and cable vs. braid discussions. There’s also the good old glass vs aluminum thing. Tons of off-season opportunities on this board! 😂
I think it was a tie from what I remember. We need a winner this round.

No snubber for me. Been using this 400 lb heavy mono for years to build my own lanyards. Pic on right is the lanyard material, and on left is pic of the terminal end to connect the cannon ball. I put a crimp about 6 inches up from the terminal end to act as a stopper for a swivel on the mono that I attach another 5 foot line to attach my Scotty clip. Advantage of this set up is you can drag on the bottom and usually have lots of opportunity to slow down and pull up the ball without losing it. I fish a lot (over 100 days) bouncing bottom and since moving to this set up lose very few cannon balls. 2 this season. Key too is making sure the drag on your rigger is set loose enough that if you hang up the line will play out giving you a chance to get the ball up without busting out a swivel base. These lanyards are tough as hell. I found that using tuna cord or bungies the line or bungie wasn't strong enough to resist breakage and give you enough time to stop the boat and free the ball if it gets stuck.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpeg
    IMG_0140.jpeg
    498.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0139.jpeg
    IMG_0139.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: RBL
No snubber for me. Been using this 400 lb heavy mono for years to build my own lanyards. Pic on right is the lanyard material, and on left is pic of the terminal end to connect the cannon ball. I put a crimp about 6 inches up from the terminal end to act as a stopper for a swivel on the mono that I attach another 5 foot line to attach my Scotty clip. Advantage of this set up is you can drag on the bottom and usually have lots of opportunity to slow down and pull up the ball without losing it. I fish a lot (over 100 days) bouncing bottom and since moving to this set up lose very few cannon balls. 2 this season. Key too is making sure the drag on your rigger is set loose enough that if you hang up the line will play out giving you a chance to get the ball up without busting out a swivel base. These lanyards are tough as hell. I found that using tuna cord or bungies the line or bungie wasn't strong enough to resist breakage and give you enough time to stop the boat and free the ball if it gets stuck.
Thanks to Bill, I build a similar rig with 400.

Back