Sidney Area Weekend Report

Fished Pender Bluffs on Friday with no success. Bait EVERYWHERE but no action. Didn't see much in the way of fish on the sounder.

Saturday and Sunday we spent fishing Sidney Channel for feeders. Picked up a couple of 10-11 Chinooks, snapped off a couple, but generally pretty slow. Success was had bottom bouncing in the middle of the channel with purple haze hootchies and purple hot spot flashers. The fish we kept was stuffed full of 1" long shrimp.

Lots of fish and bait in the channel at the 30-50' levels but couldn't coax any bite. Perhaps Chum or Sockeye?

Great weekend to float around, have a cold beer, and pretend it was still summer time.

Kind of surprising that there's feeder's in the channel already...
Used to be we'd get them second week of October, but everything's
changing. now they don;t seem to show in local waters until
end of november

Its our first year keeping the boat in the Sidney area. Unfortunately, the boat is way to big to trailer, and heading down to Sooke is an expensive proposition, so we decided to fish the local waters. It was pretty slow, but there are fish around...

Mongoose, fished ogden point sat.a.m. for 2 hours , nothing...
saw one bronze belly landed by a small boat.
Fished 5 hours on Constance sunday targeting halibut, nothing but junk fish. pretty slow !

i heard one guy got a 22 and a 26 recently off the waterfront

Thanks teamchachi, I just returned form holiday and want to get back out in Sidney. Where along Sidney Channel do you find most productive? Near the Spit or more towards the Red Buoy off James Island?

We were going back and forth from the Red buoy to the wharf on James Island. We were picking up fish right on the bottom in the middle of the channel (at 130').

Tons of fish and bait at 30' - 50' all along the spit. But no luck getting anything to bite. Might have been Sockeye or Chum?

It was NOT hot n' heavy, but certainly better than working!

I should note that our boat is kept in Sidney (Canoe Cove), but we've only had the boat for 6 months so I'm a rookie at the local waters. Most of my fishing over the last 5 years has been in Alberni Inlet and Barkley Sound.

I tried in that area a couple of times myself, no luck yet though. My boat is at Westport marina, again I have only been fishing here since last summer. Before that I was fishing lakes and canals in England!!

Thanks for the advice!

Back