Shortage of licensed salt water salmon and bottom fishing guides

I heard that Covid has caused a shortage of fishing guides on the coast. How long does it take to get licensed and how much does it cost?

It is a five day course with 4 courses And costs in the neighborhood of $1000
that gets you a Small Vessel Operators proficiency certificate that allows you to take paying passengers on you boat.
your boat also need to be commercially registered with Transport Canadato be legal

Last edited:
I heard that Covid has caused a shortage of fishing guides on the coast. How long does it take to get licensed and how much does it cost?
The shortage of fishing guides is mostly due to the poor management by DFO making it an unfeasible business plan now. When you aren't allowed to retain or even fish in a lot of areas then you aren't going to get any business. I was in the business for over 35 years and i seriously would never get into it now.....it's a sunset industry now

Ah, with our new regs you can't fish like normal so how can guides survive? I think the issue is not a shortage of guides, but a shortage of work.

Before If i was to book with a guide in van it would be Feb,March, april, may, august, sep. Now with the new regs if i was going to id only book in Feb for prawns and winter chinook or September.

Don't think there is a shortage of guides just same demand in a very small window. Creating a very narrow Peak season

It is a five day course with 4 courses And costs in the neighborhood of $1000
that gets you a Small Vessel Operators proficiency certificate that allows you to take paying passengers on you boat.
your bot also need to be commercially registered with Transport Canadato be legal
It is not that easy to schedule and get the courses-not always available when you are-I took some courses in comox but the first aid I had to go to Nanaimo.

The shortage of fishing guides is mostly due to the poor management by DFO making it an unfeasible business plan now. When you aren't allowed to retain or even fish in a lot of areas then you aren't going to get any business. I was in the business for over 35 years and i seriously would never get into it now.....it's a sunset industry now

Damn there goes my retirement strategy, doh!

Before If i was to book with a guide in van it would be Feb,March, april, may, august, sep. Now with the new regs if i was going to id only book in Feb for prawns and winter chinook or September.

Don't think there is a shortage of guides just same demand in a very small window. Creating a very narrow Peak season
Interesting. I know some lodges are looking for guides right now. Never used to be a problem.

Interesting. I know some lodges are looking for guides right now. Never used to be a problem.
I see this too. Most want several years experience though so not looking for new guides they’re looking for old guides. Soon…..no guides through self induced attrition.

Ah, with our new regs you can't fish like normal so how can guides survive? I think the issue is not a shortage of guides, but a shortage of work.
I know there’s some shortages of guides at lodges in the Gwaii. I know some bailed and took other jobs with the uncertainty up there paired with the then shortened season. Peregrine looking if anyone is interested or knows anyone. I don’t work there and haven’t been there so can’t comment on it.

I know there’s some shortages of guides at lodges in the Gwaii. I know some bailed and took other jobs with the uncertainty up there paired with the then shortened season. Peregrine looking if anyone is interested or knows anyone. I don’t work there and haven’t been there so can’t comment on it.
I thought they were going to stay closed this year. Too bad West Coast Resorts closed and didn't sell to a new buyer. I loved Englefield but never got a chance to fish Hippa.

I thought they were going to stay closed this year. Too bad West Coast Resorts closed and didn't sell to a new buyer. I loved Englefield but never got a chance to fish Hippa.
They’re open. Opened late due to restrictions, believe July 1st or right around there.

Peregrine needs a guide for tomorrow if anyone knows anyone, dm me and I’ll put them in touch. Short notice to say the least. :rolleyes:

@Raincity cancel your tee times this week and get up there :p

I think there could be more than a few guys heading towards retirement from long and arduous careers who could certify and train up as contract guides with their own rigs. I know the costs for boats and gear has to be a significant barrier to entry and ya never know, there could be some knowledge on those whitecaped heads!

Back