Shimano 2000GT drag problems

MRWood

I am wondering if anyone can help me with drag problems with the Shimano 2000GT. I have 3 reels now that are not very usable. I cannot tighten the drag tight enough to stop slipping. The drag knob will only tighten to a certain degree unless I hold the spool at the same time. Even then it doesn't tighten much. I am assuming if I have 3 reels that all do this then there must be others out there with the same problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

are these the new ones with the metal palming ring??? If they are, there was a recall for this issue.

If it is the old one, just flip the drag washer over or better yet, get another drag washer.

are these the new ones with the metal palming ring??? If they are, there was a recall for this issue.

If it is the old one, just flip the drag washer over or better yet, get another drag washer.

Hi FM
They are the new ones with the metal palm ring. Some one told me about the re-call. Apparently Shimano was sending out a free part to fix the problem. Not sure what the part was.

I thought that the fix for the drag issue was for the 4000gt reels. I know that I brought mine back to Trotac and they replaced it under warranty

Hi FM
They are the new ones with the metal palm ring. Some one told me about the re-call. Apparently Shimano was sending out a free part to fix the problem. Not sure what the part was.

Yeah, the problem exists with the new 2000 and 4000 ones especially the early production ones. I started experiencing those issues on the fleet in just 3 trips back in 2009 when they were introduced. I took them back and had them serviced by Shimano and they changed out the washers on brand new reels!!! I was disappointed for sure.

I figure Trotac or any Shimano dealer should be able to get the rep to have some of these sent to the store for quick and easy change out. I know I had a few choice words for Shimano given how much Shimano pumping I do and how much Shimano product I own.

Speaking of these reels....if anyone wants some new 4000's with the metal palming rings...I have a set of 6 remaining 4000 GT's of these spooled with 30 pound test Maxima...washers replaced and no issues. They have approx 90 days of fishing on them. 65 bucks each.

I run all MR3's, Trophies and Old Style 4000's now.

I am wondering if anyone can help me with drag problems with the Shimano 2000GT. I have 3 reels now that are not very usable. I cannot tighten the drag tight enough to stop slipping. The drag knob will only tighten to a certain degree unless I hold the spool at the same time. Even then it doesn't tighten much. I am assuming if I have 3 reels that all do this then there must be others out there with the same problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

take them in to the Harbour Chandler...they sent mine back for repair free of charge...depending on your specifics you may have to pay shipping...give it a go.

Is there a way to tell if you have one of these defective reels? I bought a new GT2000 last spring. It seems to work find except when it gets wet. If its wet the drag is next to useless. Is there a way to inspect the washers to determine if they have been corrected?

Is there a way to tell if you have one of these defective reels? I bought a new GT2000 last spring. It seems to work find except when it gets wet. If its wet the drag is next to useless. Is there a way to inspect the washers to determine if they have been corrected?

The 2000GT does not have the waterproof drag, at least the older models didn't.
I think you need to take it back to your tackle shop and have them change out the drag washers
which were problematic in the 2nd generation reels.

If its new ...bring it back to the dealer and he will be able to take care of it.....I'm sure there was the orginal stock out there that the fix was never done to.... If not BM me and I can find out for you?

Rather than starting yet another thread on the Shimano GT2000 drag issues, I figure I'd revive this old one :)

Got two of what I assume are the older 2000s. Bought used on market place. Work really well so far, but had a weekend of intense fishing with a number of people on the boat who don't like to palm the reel, so the drags were cranked down pretty hard on a few fish and on the last two days of the trip, the drag was not very smooth any more.

A fish would pull on a good run, but the drag would surge and then stop, surge and stop. Kinda scared me watching this because when it stops it's nearly locked up and when it goes, it's getting close to free spool. That's when the drag is cranked down. Both ways are not good with those who don't want to or can't figure out how to palm a reel on a screaming fish.

But when I use the reel, I use less drag and it smooths out a bit, though one of them is inconsistent pressure at all settings, so sending things down the rigger, the rod as bouncing all over the place, not just a steady pressure like I'd expect.

Was going to order a carbon fibre drag kit from Mikes Reel repair in the lower mainland, but wanted to see what the peanut gallery thinks on this one.

Back