SFAB HALIBUT

quote:Originally posted by Concerned Angler

Comes down to a recommendation that our daily limit remain at 2/day... possession 2 as well.

DFO has to accept the recommendation-- stay tuned-- it aint over yet as there is word that DFO may not feel this will reduce the sports catch enough. Time will tell.

Further they did not recommend a size limit, for the reasons stated here.
The decision is close.

quote:Originally posted by OldBlackDog

quote:Originally posted by Concerned Angler

Comes down to a recommendation that our daily limit remain at 2/day... possession 2 as well.

DFO has to accept the recommendation-- stay tuned-- it aint over yet as there is word that DFO may not feel this will reduce the sports catch enough. Time will tell.

Further they did not recommend a size limit, for the reasons stated here.
The decision is close.

DFO doesn't have to accept anything from SFAB, the DFO options put forth are listed above....the SFAB recomendations are just that...

If DFO puts up 1 halibut up to 20 lb day limit for recreational fishermen, I am afraid it could bring a lot of angry fishermen demanding 2 halibut per day limit up to 80 lb, bringing lots of controversies.

who wants to eat very old female halibut over 100 lbs? release that female halibut for egg purposes.

I agree some Americans are taking advantage of our canadian fishing resources illegally ..making easy money. Canadian agencies need to beef up and inspect those american fishermen carefully. I am entitled to have an opinion.

Gonna throw my two bits in just to make myself feel better...

I'm all for a annual limit...say 10/year. The size issue (i.e. trying to meet a TAC by poundage) is more complicated and I am not sure this will satisfy the goal of reduced lb'age retained but it is s step in the right direction.

If you think that the halibut resource is endless then I think you are naive...look at salmon stocks in the Pacific or cod stocks in the Atlantic. Not sure about you but I know I can run out and fish the banks way easier now than even ten years ago. Not many hiding places left and more people every year.

And with all due respect to those from the USA on this site, if I was a Cdn angler fishing in American waters and my catch was not reported and was affecting your TAC the approach to managing 'me' would be VERY different - wish the Cdn govie would grab some spine. E-license changes are not going to affect enough of a change.

quote:Originally posted by ratherbefishing

Gonna throw my two bits in just to make myself feel better...

I'm all for a annual limit...say 10/year. The size issue (i.e. trying to meet a TAC by poundage) is more complicated and I am not sure this will satisfy the goal of reduced lb'age retained but it is s step in the right direction.

If you think that the halibut resource is endless then I think you are naive...look at salmon stocks in the Pacific or cod stocks in the Atlantic. Not sure about you but I know I can run out and fish the banks way easier now than even ten years ago. Not many hiding places left and more people every year.

And with all due respect to those from the USA on this site, if I was a Cdn angler fishing in American waters and my catch was not reported and was affecting your TAC the approach to managing 'me' would be VERY different - wish the Cdn govie would grab some spine. E-license changes are not going to affect enough of a change.

Just a reminder that the rec quota coast wide is 12% or there abouts....commercial is 88%....if anyone sector should be concerned about depleting the resource it would be the commercial sector...the average size for a sport caught halibut is 20lbs head on....DFO uses this figure

DFO doesn't have to accept anything from SFAB, the DFO options put forth are listed above....the SFAB recomendations are just that...

That is correct, however in most cases they do take the reccomendations into consideration, unlike the Province which does not.

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

most reputable guides do not "top up" their clients take in fact most promote a responsible fishery often spending time during their trip talking about protecting the resource.....

Well, just like to add my comment to this - in the few years we've been to Renfrew as a group, ALL the guides we had used their license for top up....no, I didn't complain because its the ONLY time I ever fish for halibut. I say what needs to be done before they make drastic decisions on size limits etc (as sort of has been discussed), is get these decision makers to get out there fishing - catch 5 over 80 lbs, see how 'easy' it is for them to release them, and put gps tags on them as well when they let them go. If the trackers keeps moving around for a year and they didn't lose a member over the boat in 10' seas releasing them, fine, put the size limit in and lets give er a go! If either one guy falls out the boat, or the tracking goes flatline for at least 2 of the released fish within a week (dead at the docks at the docks don't count), go back to the drawing board! Even as is, I don't think there is any way to use 'weight' as a restriction as that just creates way too much hassle for transport and the garbage man is gonna be pissed about all the hali carcasses stinking up our trash cans because we couldn't fillet until we got home!

Personally, I'm all for the annual limit - I'd be fine with even 6 as a limit since I still have fillets of my 3 last year chickens in my freezer (although part of that is probably because it was a good pink year)....

Thats all I have to say!

quote:Notice that is says an American can get a licence ON LINE that will allow him to fish and take 2 Can butts in 121

I've seen more then a couple of websites suggesting taking a quick ferry over to Victoria to get your Canadian liscence, then coming up to Neah bay to fish Canadian waters.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a reminder that the rec quota coast wide is 12% or there abouts....commercial is 88%....if anyone sector should be concerned about depleting the resource it would be the commercial sector...the average size for a sport caught halibut is 20lbs head on....DFO uses this figure

I'm a rec fisherman and think that the ~12% is a pittance but I find the suggestion that only the comm fleet should be concerned is short-sighted (no offense). We will ALL pay for over harvest in the long term. I just hope the powers that be make the right decision - the right decision being to ensure the long term sustainability of the resource with 'other' interests (i.e. harvest) second - but I am not going to hold my breath

Not sure you can do much on that end ....nothing has been done on this end even though our govt agencies have full knowledge about the whole mess....so expect more of the same this year

I'm just at a sportsmans show in Calgary, and heard from some friends of ours that guide out of the North Island that it is official now, that the limits are 2 a day, 2 possession. Not sure if he had it right or wrong. I know that was recommended...but did is it solid now?

The DFO website states that the regulations regarding limits
are still to be determined.
Knowing how they operate we will find out Feb 29 :(

This whole Halibut situation is just sickening.

First, we rolled over and let DFO assign us 12% of the TAC, giving the commercial fleet 82%. How much did they pay for that gift?

In rolling over, we set ourselves up for this new situation of restrictions to a possesion limit of 2. And now we have to BUY back from the commercial fleet extra % points at some price yet to be detirmined. :(

The other situation: Americans guiding in Canadian waters, out of Canadian Ports. This is a big problem in the Tahsis/Nootka Sound area.

The main problem is PROVING that they are guiding - that money changed hands. I've done a lot of google searches trying to find these guys, but they are not advertising on the web. Yet somehow, these guys are out fishing EVERY DAY in very expensive boats. How can they afford this if they are NOT guiding?

I know that the RCMP were checking boats up here last season. I got boarded and checked while on a friends Amercian registered boat. He wasn't too interested in the fish or the fishing regs., but he sure wanted to ID everyone on board and asked many questions about work related issues. They even had someone from immigration on board their boat, but they didn't come over and visit us.

That was initiatated from many who had been complaing for years about what is going on up that way...finally last season we saw some action being taken by the RCMP marine unit, DFO and several other agencies ....but that took some big time effort by several guides who are sick and tired of the bull&%%^## and losing hundreds of thousands of dollars to ILLEGAL guiding operations....it's up to us to take down vessel ID #'s and where this activity is taking place (marinas and slip #'s are very helpful) and pick up the damm phone and report it....otherwise this will continue to get worse.....the lines comunication are now open (RCMP Marine unit 250-751-8845)and we have finally have some agencies listening... Port Renfrew, Sooke, Ucluelet, Bamfield, Campbell River and Nootka all have this going on in a big way....just sit outside of any seafood processor or depot and watch the same people drop off truck load after truck load of fish day after day....sent off to get processed with no checks anywhere in sight....its a perfect world for those who want to ship as many fish south as they can possibly harvest....I've personally witnessed many with five or six copies of their e-licences filled out with just the right number of fish written down as to not tip off fisheries officers or anyone else who might be suspect of how many fish they have landed. Fill one up, fresh one the next day....

Back