SFAB HALIBUT

fishingbc

Sport Fishing Advisory Board
f~/t~'lin4 ibe 5901" F..h",~ Co"'lnitj trtt 1964
MAIN BOARD HALIBUT MOTIONS
(Note - Passed Unanimously)
Febmary 2 2008
MB-GFSF -05-01-08: That the SF AB Main Board supports the positions taken by its members on the Pacific Halibut Market-Based Adjustment Mechanism Committee in their discussions with the Pacific Halibut Management Association and representatives ofDFO's Pacific Region, the Province of British Columbia and the Nuu-Cha-Nulth Tribal Council, and authorizes the members of the committee, in consultation with the SFAB Executive, to reach agreement on the final terms of a report to the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans. Moved: Geny Kristianson; Seconded: Paul Rickard: approved unanimously
MB-GFSF -06-01-08: Further to Motion # - of 19--, that DFO be reminded of the need to ensure that any proposal to increase license fees and/or institute a user fee to fund a transfer of halibut allocation is referred to the SF AB licence Fee WG for input.
Moved: Geny Kristianson; Seconded: Tom Protheroe; passed unanimously
MB-GFSF-09-O1-O8: That the SFAB Main Board supports an extension of the current e- licensing restriction to Areas 23 and 123.
Moved: Geny Kristianson; Seconded: Wayne Harling; passed unanimously
MB-GFSF-I0-OI-O8: That the govemment of Canada move expeditiously to amend the Coastal Fisheries Protection Act to ensure that non-Canadian vessels that wish to enter Canadian fisheries waters for business purposes related to sport fishing are subject to the same licence requirements as commercial fishing vessels.
Moved: Geny Kristianson; Seconded: Bob Gallaugher; passed unanimously
MB-GFSF-II-OI-O8: That the SFAB recommends that both the halibut daily limit and possession limit in the recreational fishery be two in 2008.
Moved: Geny Kristianson; Seconded: Wayne Harling; passed unanimously
MB-GFSF-O7-O1-08: That the SFAB Main Board indicates its support in principle for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans facilitating the leasing of commercial halibut quota for use by the recreational sector during the 2008 season using funds presently held in trust by the Pacific Halibut Management Association and authorizes the chair of the SF AB Halibut Allocation Committee to liaise with DFO to expedite this process.
Moved: Geny Kristianson; Seconded: Hugh Kingwell: passed unanimously
MB-OI-O1-08: That SFAB strongly urge the Minister of Fisheries and his senior staff to provide, on a priority basis, the resources nec~sary to ensure adequate in-season monitoring, enforcement and post-season assessment of our 2008 halibut fishery
Moved: Wayne Harling; Seconded: Gerry Kristianson; passed unanimously
MOnON MB-O2-O1-O8: That the SF AB notes for the record that Motion MB-GFSF-07-01- 08 is approved on the understanding that this action is taken without prejudice and under extreme duress by the government of Canada.
Moved: Bill Otway; Seconded: Jeremy Maynard; passed unanimously
-End-

And I had alrealy accepted the limit of 1 under 95 cm, and I cant believe Im saying this, but its probably not a bad idea, provided the released fish actually survives being yarded up from 300 ft.

I will keep posting notices and info as it comes in....nothing is in stone yet........ as long as the single day limit stays at two the feeling is that rec anglers and independent charter operators wouldn't be the ones who would be getting shafted.....at least that is what most I have spoken with could live with.....settling for anything less than that would be an insult ...the american issue has to be dealt with this year.....

Glad that the SFAB has made recomendations to the DFO. Although I don't agree with the reasoning behind the 2fish/1day limit, I respect the process. It will solve the issue of daily guides gifting their fish to guests to top up their limit. Also makes catch monitoring much easier for the day charters, which as mentioned, DFO has to work on that. Very hard to get proper catch data when a good portion of the '1500' independent guides do not submit catch data, whether voluntary or forced. IMO, these recomendations will not change the actual catch much, as when you add the missing data from independent operators, we will have actually gone over the 12% cap again. Temperary transfering quota from commercial to recreational is a good start, but we have to keep an eye on the total TAC for the whole Pacific, as these quota numbers and transfers are only good for one year. In two years (2010) the imature halibut (>32"), which there is a very large increase in the bio-mass, will have reached the size to which they will be added to the TAC. This means that the total TAC for the Pacific will increase. Then these temperary conditions can be relaxed. If one only can see into the future:)

This solution will not appease 100% of the people, but it gives a start for future discusions, such as the catching of imature halibut. This will eventually have to looked at, as we should be releasing the smaller ones, like the commercial fleet is required to do.

Got to go, have to work in the morning.

Regards, Fingers

Cornfed,
Just using the numbers that fishingbc gave in a previous post. I don't think it includes the US guide fleet.

I guess what I am saying is that when I fish at Swiftsure, I don't see any of the U.S. charterboats (the big 50 to 70' charters) from Neah Bay at Swiftsure. Those charters you are seeing in area 121 must be US charters coming out of Bamfield? LC - Is this what you mean by logos? guiding license number on the side of the boat or actual guide logo? Now, if there are smaller charter operations out of Neah Bay, that could be although I have never seen any smaller charters at Neah Bay. I can check though. I think that maybe the DFO needs to make a few more trips to Swiftsure and hammer the guys that are breaking the law. I think all fines should be upped to the point where the offenders don't want to fish anymore. We are the ones paying for somebody elses offenses, and when I am 60 I still want to be able to go to the bank and catch a hali. If the limit went to 1 hali. a day, it would suck, but I would still go. I love it too much.

DFO is to busy chasing the canadian Guides that drift into the swiftsure closure line to worry about Americans coming over.There are smaller 35 foot US operators coming from Port Angelas as well
[xx(]

How do you release larger hali if it is enforced? What is the mortality rate of a 70 lb hali with 2, 9/0 siwash hooks deep in its Esophagus?

Does not sound to be a very sound plan to me.[V]

quote:Originally posted by walter

DFO is to busy chasing the canadian Guides that drift into the swiftsure closure line to worry about Americans coming over.There are smaller 35 foot US operators coming from Port Angelas as well
[xx(]

How do you release larger hali if it is enforced? What is the mortality rate of a 70 lb hali with 2, 9/0 siwash hooks deep in its Esophagus?

Does not sound to be a very sound plan to me.[V]

There are day charters that go all the way from Port Angeles to Swiftsure? That has to be close to a 125 mile round trip! That would be miserable in questionable weather.

If they did put an upper limit cap on halibut length and you did have one that swallowed the hooks, I am sure they would tell you that the best thing to do is cut the line. However, I am not sure an upper cap limit is a good idea and cutting the line does not come anywhere near ensuring that a halibut (that has swallowed the rig) can survive.

Two words:

Annual Limit

I myself, keep MAYBE two or three nice big ones in the springtime to get me through the year, and the odd piece to family and friends, not to mention hijackthing the odd fillet from guests.

What could one possibly do with more then 10 GOOD halibut per year? And for the folks who would get up in arms that 10 ping-pong paddles would not be enough for them, try the tricks for fishing for bigger ones. It takes some time and pays off, I lost several anchors and threw hundreds of spreader bars and 2 pound balls of the side untill I got the hang of it, once you got it, it's addictive. You run HALF to a QUARTER as far, you are in nice close protected water, and you get nicer bigger (But somewhat fewer) butts.

Flame away.......

most reputable guides do not "top up" their clients take in fact most promote a responsible fishery often spending time during their trip talking about protecting the resource.....that said the lack of effort by DFO to enable ANY angler NOT JUST CHARTER OPERATORS to simply record catches of any species of concern is a joke. You get a far better idea of what going by simply making a few simple changes to the licencing structure. We record chinook and lingcod why not halibut......the onus should be on DFO to make these simple changes and not on any one sector...you are always going to get a few who think they can bend the rules (commercial/rec/FN )in anything they do, and that will never change......by adding the "missing data" of Canadians who have the right to fish legally for a common resource, is way off base....maybe you should spend some time trying to convince DFO, RCMP, Coast Guard, maybe even homeland security to finally move in and shut down the illegal fishing by american charter operators (and american anglers) who bus, taxi and drive their clients into Canada to buy hard copy licences by the thousands every year, bring them back to the states, load them up onto their charter vessels, come into Canadian waters, take their limit of halibut back to the states without setting foot into Canada, then have it used in OUR TAC...the amount taken by this ILLEGAL FISHERY is in the 12-20% of our total TAC (pending on who's numbers you use)That's where the effort should be to reduce a good portion of what DFO is looking for and not put the onus on CANADIANS who every right to the resource....

As far as American charter operators working illegally here, it is been going on for years. Anyone who has done the outdoor show circiut will tell you of the large number of americans selling charters/trips etc during the winter months, most pre-paid with no money changing hands here in Canada. Its going on in Bamfield, Ucluelet and in a big way in Nootka Sound/ Gold River/ Tahsis...with full knowledge of DFO, RCMP Coast Guard and Revenue Canada...if the charter fleet coast wide is Transport Canada certified it would be much easier to weed these operators out reap the benifits of a legitimate industry.....several were shut down last season because some operators had finally seen enough of their business being stolen and just picked up the phone and called the proper authorities
Get with it guys, DFO, Coast Guard, RCMP marine unit all are up to speed on the Transport Canada regs....

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

several were shut down last season because some operators had finally seen enough of their business being stolen and just picked up the phone and called the proper authorities

I'm curious, under what grounds were they shut down? They had Canadian licenses, Canadian Business Licenses, they were playing by the rules that need to be changed.

Not Transport Canada Certified, working illegally and some other issues with reporting to coastt guard when entering Canadian waters
Not exactly sure what the fine details are but the RCMP marine unit was invovled

Another question: When entering Canadian waters from the US or entering US waters from Canada (not touching land or throwing anchor or intending to make port), are vessels required to report to customs?

Thought I would re-post these as it seems some may not have seen this. It is the 3 senarios proposed by DFO to reduce the halibut catch for 2008 and not 2009

Scenario 1 Savings of 480K lbs
(No fish through transfer mechanism)

•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121(>12nm); and a coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for full season(480K lbs), or
•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm); and a coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for July and August;
and a coastwide annual maximum size limit of 90cm (493K lbs), or
•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm); and a coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for July and August;
and a coastwide annual maximum size limit of 95cm (460K lbs).

Scenario 2 Savings of 380K lbs
(100K lbs through a transfer mechanism )

•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm); and a coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for July and August(360K lbs), or
•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm);; and a daily limit of 1/day for May, June and September; and a coastwideannual maximum size limit of 85cm (366K lbs), or
•Coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for July and August; and a coastwideannual maximum size limit of 95cm (400K lbs).

Scenario 3 Savings of 280K lbs
(200K lbs through a transfer mechanism )

•Coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for July and August(300K lbs), or
•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm); and a coastwideannual maximum size limit of 85cm (272K lbs), or
•Time and Area annual closure for Area 121 (>12nm); and a coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for May, June and September; and a coastwideannual maximum size limit of 90cm (287K lbs), or
•Coastwidedaily limit of 1/day for May, June and September; and a coastwideannual maximum size limit of 85cm (306K lbs).

quote:Originally posted by Cornfed

Another question: When entering Canadian waters from the US or entering US waters from Canada (not touching land or throwing anchor or intending to make port), are vessels required to report to customs?

It is my understanding that if you are doing ANYTHING other than transversing our waters you MUST report....that includes fishing and definatley working

I'm with Lastchance - 10 halibut is more then enough, even if they are 15lb fish thats still more then 100lbs of dressed meat.

quote:And for the folks who would get up in arms that 10 ping-pong paddles would not be enough for them, try the tricks for fishing for bigger ones.

Those guys are idiots anyway, they are strictly meat fisherman and don't want to use any skill to fill their freezer. Just follow the guide boats out to swiftsure, load up with ping pong rackets then back to the beach for springs.

forgot to add, for those that don't know a 95cm halibut is like 20lbs. Could you imagine trying to catch a legal fish around victoria? I didn't have a fish smaller then 40lbs come to my gear all season off victoria/sooke.

But I personally only kept 2 fish all year and I still have enough meat until this spring when I go back at it.

So whats better, me taking a couple of big fish or me raping swiftsure of 20 babies.

Imagine the Just for the Halibut Derby...everyone trying to land the biggest 20lber to four decimal points....what are they thinking...

Back