Self selling our property.

Funny thing is I did have 2 realtors come visit me to list it with them and both thought the house was over priced for the market. I told both of them that if the house didn't sell in a couple months that I would list it with them. But yes you are correct they may have gotten more, but how much more, and the saving may not have been as much.

Was 16 years ago when I sold my last house. Market was hot then also. I used 1% Realty. Sold first day.
Yes, the service was very basic and I did not get a top Realtor. But I too thought of selling myself but this was a low cost way to have someone familiar with the process and paperwork push everything through and gave me some security on the sale. I was happy with the savings and result.

I sold my first house using a Realtor 30 years ago and decided never again will I hand over my hard earned money for minimal work, I’m from BC by the way. So I sold 2 houses and 1 city lot myself, it’s very easy. I paid to get an appraisal on my houses and had that on the table when people came to view the houses. I’m a logging engineer and if I can do, then anyone can do it. I have friends that got screwed using a Realtor as there were issues with the disclosure statement and the Realtors just washed their hands, makes you wonder what they actually do in the transaction.

I have good friend whos a realtor and I still did the same as you Don when I moved to Nanaimo, took a cash deposit and lawyer does the grunt work, easy to see what your place is worth with sales in and around and whats available in your own area, took my sweetheart and I to Europe for a mth honeymoon still had lots of $$$ left over with what I saved in fees.

I have bought 2 houses and sold a house without realtors. Not saying they don’t add value but given the commission rates have stayed the same while prices have increased beyond belief the compensation is ridiculous for the work.

I have bought 2 houses and sold a house without realtors. Not saying they don’t add value but given the commission rates have stayed the same while prices have increased beyond belief the compensation is ridiculous for the work.
Absolutely agree. Gotta be a lot of realtors in the top 1% these last few years. We just bought a place and will be listing our townhouse soon. At least my cousin is my realtor so he can give as much discount as his office will allow

Absolutely agree. Gotta be a lot of realtors in the top 1% these last few years. We just bought a place and will be listing our townhouse soon. At least my cousin is my realtor so he can give as much discount as his office will allow
I have a friend of mine that’s been our realtor on 3 or 4 sales and purchases now I have yet to talk to him about possibly a flat rate or reduced, we will see. He may not be interested as he also runs and owns the local branch so may not want to set a precedent. We will see.

I have a friend of mine that’s been our realtor on 3 or 4 sales and purchases now I have yet to talk to him about possibly a flat rate or reduced, we will see. He may not be interested as he also runs and owns the local branch so may not want to set a precedent. We will see.
Owner or not, remax or whoever still needs their cut I think.

I totally agree , back in the 70s when a house was a 100k and the realtor had to take measurements and photos and drive you around , maybe the commission was in line , but now ? seriously

We looked for two years and put in probably 12 offers before getting our place, so my realtor earned his money on that one. But selling a house is a different beast. Everything goes well over asking and sells within a few days. So the listing realtor does 2 open houses, sub contracts a photographer, list the property, and then gets like 30K? It's nuts.

I totally agree , back in the 70s when a house was a 100k and the realtor had to take measurements and photos and drive you around , maybe the commission was in line , but now ? seriously
when are you getting your licence and start working 7 days a week? sounds like it worth it?

Bought both my houses without a realestate agent. Sold my home with one and handed a pile of cash out for not allot of action. Was even told to drop my price again and again untill I found my own buyer and it ended up in a bidding war with another. Kind of a scary deal for a new buyer but I wouldn't hessitate to go again on a private deal as long as the person is decent.. kinda like buying an old Mopar car... a bit of time with the owner will let you know what your're buying and have answers to your questions right away or red flags and it's time to walk.

We have bought and sold a couple homes and 2 raw land lots privately. It was a piece of cake. We have also used realtors and I bare no ill will towards realtors. Those that do their job well get paid well and those that don't struggle. However, I like my money and I like doing as much as I can without the help of others. If you live in a desirable location and you price your property realistically then there is no reason that it won't sell every bit as quickly and for the same money as with a realtor. In each of our sales/purchases we negotiated verbally with the counter party, discussed price, subjects, and conditions and then put it in writing. Once both parties were in agreement each group took a copy off to their lawyers with instructions to complete the deal. It was easy peasy, no drama, no fights or hard feelings. It went well every time. Walleyes, I've read your posts your a smart guy and in this market you shouldn't have any trouble selling privately if it is something that interests you. As far as marketing, all I ever did was :
1. Put a sign in the yard
2. Craigslist
3. Used Nanaimo
4. Kijiji
5. Told our friends

I think in most of the cases it was word of mouth that brought in the buyers.

Good luck with the sale,
Brian

I know that you can't tar all real estate agents with the same brush, as I know there are probably lots of good ones but the ending to this little story reflects how I feel about some of the ones I've met. And remember it's a joke so don't anyone go getting their panties in a knot.:p

On their way to get married, a young Catholic couple was involved in a fatal car accident. The couple found themselves sitting outside the Pearly Gates waiting for St. Peter to process them into Heaven. While waiting they began to wonder; could they possibly get married in Heaven?

When St. Peter arrived they asked him if they could get married in Heaven. St. Peter said, "I don't know. This is the first time anyone has asked. Let me go find out and he left.

The couple sat and waited for an answer.... for a couple of months.
While they waited, they discussed the pros and cons. If they were allowed to get married in Heaven, should they get married, what with the eternal aspect of it all? "What if it doesn't work? Are we stuck in Heaven together forever?"

Another month passed. St. Peter finally returned, looking somewhat bedraggled. "Yes," he informed the couple, "You can get married in Heaven." "Great!" said the couple. "But we were just wondering; what if things don't work out? Could we also get a divorce in Heaven?"

St. Peter, red-faced with anger, slammed his clipboard on the ground. "What's wrong?" asked the frightened couple. "OH, COME ON!" St. Peter shouted. "It took me 3 months to find a priestup here! Do you have ANY idea how long it'll take to find a lawyer and don't even think about asking me if there's any help in buying a house, as you can be dammed well sure that I'm not going to be able to find a Real Estate Agent up here."

I know that you can't tar all real estate agents with the same brush, as I know there are probably lots of good ones but the ending to this little story reflects how I feel about some of the ones I've met. And remember it's a joke so don't anyone go getting their panties in a knot.:p

On their way to get married, a young Catholic couple was involved in a fatal car accident. The couple found themselves sitting outside the Pearly Gates waiting for St. Peter to process them into Heaven. While waiting they began to wonder; could they possibly get married in Heaven?

When St. Peter arrived they asked him if they could get married in Heaven. St. Peter said, "I don't know. This is the first time anyone has asked. Let me go find out and he left.

The couple sat and waited for an answer.... for a couple of months.
While they waited, they discussed the pros and cons. If they were allowed to get married in Heaven, should they get married, what with the eternal aspect of it all? "What if it doesn't work? Are we stuck in Heaven together forever?"

Another month passed. St. Peter finally returned, looking somewhat bedraggled. "Yes," he informed the couple, "You can get married in Heaven." "Great!" said the couple. "But we were just wondering; what if things don't work out? Could we also get a divorce in Heaven?"

St. Peter, red-faced with anger, slammed his clipboard on the ground. "What's wrong?" asked the frightened couple. "OH, COME ON!" St. Peter shouted. "It took me 3 months to find a priestup here! Do you have ANY idea how long it'll take to find a lawyer and don't even think about asking me if there's any help in buying a house, as you can be dammed well sure that I'm not going to be able to find a Real Estate Agent up here."
That's fantastic.

I've bought 2 places. The first in fintrey park west kelowna off a friend. Done privately with lawyers
for 135k. Some years later when I was thinking of selling i had a realtor come to see the place and he suggested I list it for 160-70. Seemed low.
A short while later a neighbour's sister was interested and offered 230. Done deal. Used the same amount to buy 50% of a place in bamfield with a great family years later using lawyers.
I know where id much rather be in the summer.

Found out later the realtors kid was fixing up and flipping places so maybe he didn't have my best interest at heart.
Also believe the kelowna place got taken out in the tragic fires up there last summer. Mo

I felt bad about my first post as one of my good friends is a realitor... But if the one who is working for you isn't really doing much it feels pretty #*&(^y to be handing them a wack of cash when you have done almost as much as work selling your house as they have. Any dummy can take a few pics and post an add on line, just saying. Especially when your realitor is telling you to share the add online and keep pushing the home yourself??? when you line the buyer up, show the place, answer the questions and all they actually had to do was a little paperwork and collect a handsome fee it kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Those who do a profesional job I tip my hat but my experience was not worth the wallet=ache.

Back