Sea Star Hydraulic Steering Problem

fordzilla

Hi,

I recently purchased this boat with a 225 Yamaha on it, and a 1.7 Hydraulic Sea Star Helm. I have bleed the system and ensured no air is trapped, however when I turn the wheel, the engine turns quite slowly (Takes at least 10 turns to swing engine from one side to the other). While under way, the boat begins to wander and I am having to continue to turn the wheel in the opposite direction of the wander to continue to correct it. Can someone tell me if this is the Helm? Also when engine swings entirely to one side, the wheel continues to turn (doesn't STOP because engine is completely Over)

Is this the helm? How do I determine where the problem exactly is?

Sounds to me like you are low on ps fluid. I have the same system on my boat and any time the fluid is low those are the same symtoms.

They are in Richmond BC.. Call them they are very helpful and will give you ideas on how to tell what is wrong.

604 248 3858

I will do that! Thanks! If anyone else has any ideas while I try to get a hold of them, I would appreciate any help! What I have read for the engine wandering, is that the "Check Valves" in the helm could be dirty, so wonder if this could be the same problem. Seems relatively easy to do those valves.

I have had the exact same problem. It was the check valves. They are simple ball type check valves.if they get stuff in there to block the ball, fluid slips by and it acts just like there is air in the system. Clean them out and you will be golden

Exact same symptoms. two plugs in the back of the helm on the sides. a ball and a spring inside. nothing too complicated. make sure they seat proper

as long as you dont introduce air into the system when there is a way for air to wotk its way down the lines, you should be fine. once you fill up the helm it should work its way out to the top

Ok, definite improvement. It takes 5.5 turns to swing all the way to the right, however only 5 turns to the left. Additionally, it is slightly easier to turn to the right and has a more definite Stop. Where not so much to the left.
On a side note, what a pain to balance that ball bearing in the end of the little cup thing and not have it drop out when your using two fingers, one from each hand to line it up behind all the hoses and crap. Took me about 5 tries till it got it all the way in without falling out.
Any additional thoughts on the notes above? Cleaned as best I could, but couldn't get anything inside the hole very well to clean perfectly. Do I still have one bypassing a little bit? That's why the force difference and number of turns differ? If so, which of the outlets is used when turning which direction?
I believe I heard one of the check valves open when I forced it past the stop point, but not as obvious the other direction.

Back