SEA CUCUMBER

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

quote:Originally posted by M.T. WALLET

I WOULDN'T MIND TRYING IT DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO CLEAN AND PREPARE THEM?

Slice them lengthwise. Remove what is left of thier guys, you will see five strips of meat. Take them off, there is not much, once you see them you wil know it. Put 'em in a baggie, take 'em home and frie 'em. You need lots.
Like Lastchance says.Use the edge of your knife to scrape meat off skin. I pound the meat to tenderize it.Then pan fry with butter and garlic. Tastes similar to calamari.

I snagged one off Salmon Rock once.... let it go.

How do you "fish" for them? Just find them at low tide? I got the impression they were deep buggers....

quote:Originally posted by Pablo2079

I snagged one off Salmon Rock once.... let it go.

How do you "fish" for them? Just find them at low tide? I got the impression they were deep buggers....

Nahh, just find a mud flat with some eel grass and wade around at a low tide, they just sit there. I snag 'em a log when fishin near the bottom, but they are available in any well-stocked mud flat. Just walk around in the shallows and you will see 'em in the eel grass.

Circa 1986, Cheneau Marina, 2 local natives slicing up and eating one raw on a Sunday morning,hangover treatment?

I use to scuba dive and brought some home to eat, they taste like calimari all right, good eating just a lot of waste for a little bit of meat. Also tried seacucumber eggs, they were good also but again, lot of waste so it was just for the fun of it, would not do it full time.

quote:Originally posted by marula

I use to scuba dive and brought some home to eat, they taste like calimari all right, good eating just a lot of waste for a little bit of meat. Also tried seacucumber eggs, they were good also but again, lot of waste so it was just for the fun of it, would not do it full time.

Hmm, how about sea cucumber strips wrapped around scallops? Fried in butter, dipped in seafood sauce with EXTRA horse raddish? MMMMMMMMM (My heart is kicking me in the nuts now!)

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

quote:Originally posted by marula

Hmm, how about sea cucumber strips wrapped around scallops? Fried in butter, dipped in seafood sauce with EXTRA horse raddish? MMMMMMMMM (My heart is kicking me in the nuts now!)
O.K. Now I see why you suggested a cooking section on the other thread.
Looks like we have a chef on the board:)

While there is not much meat in the five strips that you get. They are one of the finest tasting items there is in the North pacific. I like to bread them lightly in my favorite breading, then drop them into hot oil(not butter) and let them go until they become a golden brown. They are hard to beat.
One of the finest books I think ever done on the seafood in our area has to be Incrdible Edible it will give you alot more suggestions on the incrdeible seafood in our area.

Tom

thats funny falkor, I used to catch a lot of these when I fish sidney and the saanich inlet, never in sooke though.

I did make some nice deep fried fish and chips today with some spring salmon and i think you could do the same with just about any seafood you wanted. Sea Cucumber might work really good actually as its thin and wouldn't take a long time in the oil.

Back