scotty lake troll question??

islander55

hey guys i just got two scotty clamp on lake trolls and im going to troll them with halibut weights. but i bought them used and only came with one mini clip, i have bigger ones for salmon but would a salmn scotty clip work for little trout?? like if i put the line barley into the clip????

You are probably better off grabbing a small release for it

It works, just a little sticky sometimes.

make sure you have one on either side, its hella annoying when you only have one, because it turns the boat. It is also possible to just put down a cannon ball on a rope to counterbalance it, a bit ghetto, but it did the job when I used to fish with a downrigger. I find downriggers overkill for lakes.

kunni

Commercial style ;)

I've used the lake troll on my 12 foot aluminum for years. Its great for trolling for big bull and lake trout with light tackle.

In my experience a 5 pound ball with a salmon sized release clip works best. The small clips tend to wear out quickly and don't work well with big plugs and spoons.

I've used the lake troll on my 12 foot aluminum for years. Its great for trolling for big bull and lake trout with light tackle.

In my experience a 5 pound ball with a salmon sized release clip works best. The small clips tend to wear out quickly and don't work well with big plugs and spoons.

ok thank you i have tons of new scotty clips i bought for salmon ill bring some along, but i do have an older black/red scottylake troll clip ill trout out like its puinny

If your using a lake troll in the lakes around here. Your doing somthing wrong :P

Trout fishing is meant to be done with light gear guys! We hit a bunch of trout on flies with a single split shot 18" above today.

-KK

If your using a lake troll in the lakes around here. Your doing somthing wrong :P

Trout fishing is meant to be done with light gear guys! We hit a bunch of trout on flies with a single split shot 18" above today.

i know im doing something rong but i normaly put a bananna wieght right up from my gang troll and i let out tons of line and it still trolls near the surface and my rod bends like a ***** ahahha
-KK

i know im doing something rong but i normaly put a bananna wieght right up from my gang troll and i let out tons of line and it still trolls near the surface and my rod bends like a ***** ahahha

i know im doing something rong but i normaly put a bananna wieght right up from my gang troll and i let out tons of line and it still trolls near the surface and my rod bends like a *****
Maybe too much weight and too much line-maybe it's somehow planing up-and Trout fishing is usually dead slow.

Some of them also have a planer in front which really can bend your rod under even a slow troll. The willow leaf had the least amount of drag. Why not just use a small flasher? Or even a large Coyote or Tomic spoon with the hooks removed for some flash?

Sometimes when I’m desperate I clip a ford fender to the ball and a flat fish 4' up and 2' back from the fender. (That combo won me a 15hp merc pro kicker at a trout derby)
Like a dummy flasher when salmon fishing.

Back