Salt on back brakes/ tires

Stosh

I recently purchased a new trailer, and now, depending on the tides, I must back in further at Esquimalt Anglers while launching. I have had to back in up to my disc brakes. So when I park the truck, I Spray on some water mixed with salt away, using a plant sprayer. Anyone have another solution besides getting a roller trailer?

Thanks
Stosh

If there is any way you can lower the height of the bunks/rollers on the trailer that will help....although usually you can only lower so far before the hull touches the wheel fender.

Only you need to lower the whole thing uniformly......aiming for the boat sitting almost horizontal to the ground.

You could extend the tongue..........as long as it doesn't mess with your weight/structure factor.......

I had that problem on my old boat because it sat too high on the bunks...........

Even now on my new one there's the odd time where I have to back up to where water is covering the rim at the bottom...

When I get home I take the garden hose to the whole wheel.....differential.....shock mount points......and crawl under and get the back of the brake drum.

Problem with doing that is:- you come out next day to drive somewhere and your emergency and/or wheel brakes are locked up

So then you have to take a small sledgehammer and give 'em a whack to free them...

Seafever,
I can only lower the bunks by less than an inch max, but it should help. Thanks for the reply.
Stosh

I had the same problem, as I launch with a Jeep TJ. The wheels were almost always in the water, when launching or retrieving. I realised the answer was to get the boat to slide off the bunks easier, so I replaced the carpeted ones with plastic covered ones. This eased the launching and retrieval, but I found I needed to keep the plastic lubricated with armour-all as the plastic was not slippery enough by itself. If I had to do it again, I would use strips of teflon instead.
As I did not consider this the answer, I then extended the reach 3 feet using a Fulton hinge like this one

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coupler/Fulton/FHDPB330301.html

Using it completely eliminated the need to back into the water at all, and I found that I could get the boat off without much effort. The only time I had a problem was at the ramp in Coal Harbour, where I needed to use the armour all to get the boat to slide on and off.
Because I didn't want to get my legs wet before or after fishing, I installed a walkway down one side of the trailer, so that I could easily reach the eye on the boat. I also installed an electric winch, with a long control so I could guide the boat on from the walkway and winch it at the same time. Now, I still have to wear gumboots but I store those in the Jeep and no longer get into the drivers seat dripping wet.

I don't know the size of your boat, but I hope this gives you something to consider.

Back