Salmon thieves

drewski....

Curious though...have you tried just taking out a metallica CD and cranking that when you see a seal? Is it just cranked noise that's spooking them? If you tested out a regular music CD, and then your whale CD, and they only bolted with the whale CD....same volume/same distance away....I may be a believer.

Something has to be done on the west coast to combat the seal problems. Not only in the Salt but on the Fraser and Harrison seals are a huge problem.

Was on the river above Hope last week and there were numerous seals bobbing around in the river. A couple real big boys just gorging on the springs.

Harrison lake has many seals in it. All devouring fish at the confleuence of a couple different streams. Even seen them up where the Lillooet comes in. Beauty river, a shame to see the dwindling stocks get eaten by those ******* animals.

A guy can't hardle get a winter spring in off Esquimalt without a seal grabbing it and trying to take off with it. It may be fine and dandy if I was a tourist in a zodiac but lets get serious about our fish stocks; the seal numbers in Vancouver Island waters and the South Coast are ridicoulus and yet nothing is done.

Seals have been in the Harris and San Jaun feasting on the steelies.

How many seals can you count at the mouth of the Puntledge? One day a while back I counted 26 heads up at one time. Think those fish have much of a chance?

Not allowed to use lead shot for waterfowl anymore, apparently ducks will get lead poisioning and eventually die.
I don't think a seal would suffer with the lead poisioning that should be used on them. Besides, they sink ...... i think

On another note: Cheers to you and your little girl Yo Mama.

Just razzin ya drewski.......there's nothing more frustrating than having a seal steal your salmon so if you find something that works for ya then stick with it. However I suspect they will get used to your CD pretty quick if everyone starts using this method - as we all know they are smart little bastards. In this day and age it's going to be next to impossible to get the gov't to approve a cull. The environmentalists/animal activists would freak out. There's only one chance - convince the government that the seals are eating the endagered Fraser Sockeye salmon and that a cull is the only solution. But I doubt that would actually work.

Just out of curiosity,is there any way to trap them.Or do you have to kill them.Remember Herchial the sea lion Who devistated the steelhead off the ballard locks in seattle.They trapped him, and some of his bubbies.took them to california,a week later he was back .Now he's in a florida aquarium.I do have a?.Whats up with the 1st. nations why are those *7** people sitting on their arsses.Mabe because if they can't use a net, they are totaly lost or incredibly lazy.For years we had abounty on them 25.00 a nose.yes they sink fast.

thanks the runt

Boys,

Whatever you do, DO NOT GO AND BUY BEAR BANGERS. You know, the ones sold at MEC etc for use on hiking trails to scare bears away. You know, the ones that self launch about 100 feet and then explode with a deafening roar. These devices are dangerous. They are also scary to anything that can hear. you could hurt yourself or others.

Try my approach of Orca sounds. The worst that could happen is that the seals become accostomed to the orca sounds, and when the real thing shows up the seal becomes very easy pickings for the whales.

Drewski

Greetings Drewski,

Where can I get a good copy of these sounds? It "sounds" like as good an idea as any.

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Victoria Aquarium was selling Whales of Blackfish Sound, which is all about the Killer Whale dialects of the various resident and non resident pods in that area. You should still be able to find it out at the various nature stores. You will have to edit out the monologue of the Bios who are trying to explain all the squealing and creaking noises. By the way, if you really want to kick it up a notch (you should have figured out I am a flatlander who spends 51 weeks a year dreaming about my annual Salmon pilgrimage), get an extra speaker, and put it RIGHT ONTO THE HULL below the water line. That way the sound transmits the best as the hull will reverberate like a drum skin.

Remember, don't try it if you know there are whales around. Also, don't leave it running. Crank it up when the fish is on, and turn it off when you are rinsing the net.

Damn I wish that BC had jobs, low taxes, and a future. I would have moved to the Island long ago.

Drewski

The problem with the cd is that it never really fix’s the problem and eventually they will figure it out. The only real solution is some kind of population control methods, or start a hatchery that produces Killer Whales HA!. I can guess eventually that fishermen will take action on there own. The inside straight has way too many seals and when someone did start shooting them, it was in the local paper faster than you can believe. Some guy apparently makes his living taking tourist out to the islands to swim with seals. Everyone wrote in the paper how disappointed they were but no one wrote in to congratulate the fishermen taking action on his own. There was a reward for information leading to the fishermen, I hope they never caught him. This island is to full of old people with too much time to complain about something they have no idea on. I think MD has the best solution.

Bigchrome

Too bad First Nations people don't want to hunt them as part of their traditional right. The government would have to consider their request and if pushed hard enough they might allow an annual seal hunt. I've lost my share of salmon to seals and would happily pay top dollar for a nice pair of seal boots.

I'd wear them every day with a big grin on my face.

I see Fisheries is at least interested enough in the problem to have the creel survey guys asking if you had any seal difficulties as part of their routine at the wharf. Whether they actually do anything with that info is another story...
T2

quote:
I see Fisheries is at least interested enough in the problem to have the creel survey guys asking if you had any seal difficulties as part of their routine at the wharf. Whether they actually do anything with that info is another story...
T2
Now thats interesting.............

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

I tell you guys what, you all donate a $$100.00 to my court case and I will fix that seal problem LOL :) not only will it help me site in the new 7mm Mag but i wil get great pleasure in it LMAO

Bigchrome

No comment on this, just curious!

quote:
drewski....

Curious though...have you tried just taking out a metallica CD and cranking that when you see a seal? Is it just cranked noise that's spooking them? If you tested out a regular music CD, and then your whale CD, and they only bolted with the whale CD....same volume/same distance away....I may be a believer.

Media Coverage is good, but what you have to do is make it meaningful. VOICE YOUR CONCERN ABOUT THE NEAR EXTINCT SUMMER STEELHEAD RUNS THAT ARE THREATENED BY THE SEALS EATING THE STEELHEAD AT THE RIVER MOUTHS.

Now, do you get the point? If you put the loveable, cute and cuddly seals into the same category as the pine beetle, you might get at least some insulation from the inevitable "back to earth back to broccolli crowd".

At the same time, some politician may get enough heat to do something.

For more and better ideas, read Saul Alinsky "Rules for Radicals".

Drewski

Might mention Sockeye along with the Steelhead. Some Fraser Sockeye runs are rapidly approaching extiction.....

"The 2005 run of Early Stuart sockeye is the lowest on this cycle since at least 1953. Only a small fraction (35,000) are expected to return compared to the average Early Stuart sockeye run size on this cycle (approximately 900,000 fish). The cause of this very low return is presently unknown; however adverse marine survival conditions may have persisted through a portion of their marine residence period." DFO Statement, released 15Jul,2005.

Back