Salmon quota topic a hot one - DC Reid

Sushihunter

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Salmon+quota+topic/2636018/story.html

Salmon quota topic a hot one

By D.C. Reid, Times Colonist
March 3, 2010

In a bland announcement in Dec. 31, 2009's Times Colonist, DFO Minister Gail Shea confirmed she was unhappy with the Fraser sockeye collapse. She conceded the numbers were falling the past few years and established an inquiry under judge Brian Cohen.

What was not mentioned was: DFO science figures clearly show problems for 15 years, an eerily similar scenario to that for east coast cod. It is now widely understood that DFO refused to believe and act on its own science and that led to the complete cod collapse. They are now not seeing their B.C. science, nor confirming they knew the current collapse would happen years before it did -- its own Georgia Strait fry seining established the figures.

But this is an article on an entirely different subject about a simple phrase buried in Shea's tapioca: 'share based fishery' for salmon. Those of us who spend lots of time worrying about salmon cringed when we realized it was an Orwellian rewording of an old concept: individual vessel quotas. I sent a note to query its meaning.

Among other things, a West Coast DFO director wrote back the following: "Share-based systems have been found to improve conservation outcomes and provide a more stable allocation approach for fishers. Clearly defined shares of the allowable catch can be managed in a flexible way to achieve sustainable fisheries, increase economic benefits for fishers, and allow commercial fleets to adjust to changing circumstances."

I wrote 10,000 minister's letters when I worked for government, so I really appreciate a good, sneaky letter. One of the acquired skills is putting two sentences together that have no relation to one another, but they make the reader think they do; or words that imply one thing when they actually mean the opposite. In this case I was saddened at such good scribes-manship.

The shell game on this one is that the quoted sentences imply DFO will talk with aboriginals, sport fishers and commercial seiners. Wrong. They will only talk to aboriginals and aboriginal/non-aboriginal commercial fishers. The catch will be divided by quotas given to each. DFO will not talk to the 300,000 sport fishing sector licences, the biggest contributor to GDP.

This is the same system that completely alienated the public's access to its own halibut, but now brought to salmon. Instead, of 50 per cent of the big flatties for the public, it is a measely 12 per cent, a total abrogation of responsibility to the people of B.C. by DFO. This is the lowest share of all American and Canadian jurisdictions in North America.

In addition, halibut individual vessel quotas created millionaires who were given quota for free, rather than having to buy it. Many owners rent their quota for more than $100,000 per year rather than fish, and sit in Hawaii getting suntans. The system also created a cartel with commercial licences consolidating from 435 to 214 over the years. And the 'market mechanism' for the commercial sector to buy up any spare halibut from the public's dinky share was followed by their trying to set conditions before they would give it back.

Halibut IVQs are totally unacceptable and sport fishermen need to complain just as bitterly as we are doing about the problem on the other end: closed containment for fish farms. Please write to Gail Shea: Shea.G@parl.gc.ca, and complain about her bringing the same flawed, alienating system to salmon. Tell her she must consult the sport sector.

In the salmon debate the public holds one very large card. Of the 37,000 volunteers to salmon enhancement, and the millions of salmon they return, the vast majority are sport fishermen. If these people refuse to allow their efforts to be given to other sectors, we have DFO over a barrel.
© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Salmon+quota+topic/2636018/story.html#ixzz0hAEv5A0P

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

And from the BC Wildlife Federation..... maybe we wont have to worry about "share based management""-- there wont be anything left to share!!!
quote:March 3, 2010
The Honourable Gail Shea
Minister of Fisheries & Oceans
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6
Dear Minister Shea,
Members of BC Wildlife Federation applaud your decision to defer the negotiations of fisheries
components at treaty tables in British Columbia that involve salmon, pending the findings and
recommendations of the Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the
Fraser River.
It has long been our contention that the piecemeal approach to treaty negotiations lacks any
coast-wide vision for the future and threatens our “Right to Fish”.
The Yale Band is one of the smallest First Nations bands on the Fraser River and under the
terms of their treaty they have been given an allocation of over 2% of the total Canadian
allowable catch of Fraser River sockeye returns. We note also that a similar allocation has
been made to the Tsawwassen Band under their treaty agreement. We further note that your
government has also agreed to a share of Fraser River sockeye to the Nuu-chah-nulth Band in
your negotiations with them. There are 98 First Nations bands on the Fraser River who will also
want to negotiate a share of the sockeye returns to the Fraser. If the current scenario is carried
out throughout the Fraser watershed, First Nations will be allocated 196% of the total allowable
Fraser sockeye catch. It is our observation that this imbalance is not isolated to the Fraser
River or sockeye salmon. The same scenario is evolving on other parts of the coast including
Vancouver Island and the Skeena River watershed.
Minister, as you can see, the current approach is unworkable. The first 50 Bands on the Fraser
River to negotiate a treaty will receive 100% of the sockeye allocation leaving the other 48
Bands, the First Nations Bands in Georgia Strait, Johnstone Strait and Juan de Fuca Strait, the
recreational fishery, and the commercial fishery with no harvest opportunity at all.
The Honourable Gail Shea
Minister of Fisheries & Oceans
March 3, 2010
Continued … Page 2.
We urge you to take this time to develop with your colleagues a fair, long term, all
encompassing vision for the future of the West Coast Fishery - a plan that embraces First
Nations’ right to fish for food, social, and ceremonial purposes while, at the same time, fostering
and facilitating the public’s “right to fish”.
Yours in conservation,
Mel Arnold, President
BC Wildlife Federation
cc:

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Interesting, and sadly true. I guess the only question I have is:

Doesn't the current allocation policy for salmon already work within a shares based approach? The salmon allocation ploicy reflects a series of processes that happened in the 90's, and I beleive represents recognition by DFO of the better return to Canada of Chinook and Coho catch by the recreational fishery vs the commercial fishery in GDP terms.

In a general sense, the salmon allocation policy states:

During times of low abundance, the recreational fishery must be operating at "normal limits" (2\4) for Chinook and Coho before the commercial fishery is allowed to target them in any given area or for any given stock. This is what is meant by "priority of access". In other words, the commercial fishery is shut down before the recreational fishery is.

Of course, First Nations are provided priority access over everyone except conservation.

During times of high abundance, the commercial fishery can target Chinook and Coho to the TAC imposed by DFO or PSC.

In this case, the recreational "share" represents the total estimated catch for that season. Anything above that, pending conservation requirements etc can be caught by the commercial fishery. How they divvy that catch up amongst themselves (IVQ's, derby style etc) shouldn't be our business as long as our share is determined pre-season, and follows the salmon allocation policy.

Something like this could also work for halibut IMO.

Gooey

If this is indeed the direction that DFO is going with managing OUR salmon fishery this is VERY scary for sport fishers!!![:0]

Collectively I would say that 'we sporties' need to keep a close eye on this and be ready to make a huge stink if it looks like DFO will try to implement something as stupid and unfair as this! :(
My 2 bits.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

perhaps if we "sporties" would take a look at the impact of 2.2 million rod days on the stocks, and took the inititive to implement lower yearly limits instead of constantly crying for more fish that are not there we might have a leg to stand on.

Fisher69 I don’t think you get it. It’s not about how many fish we get. It’s about moving from a system that we have, common property of all Canadians to a system based on private ownership of the fish. In essence the privatization of a common resource. Look how well that system works for halibut. Now if you are a commercial fisherman I can see you liking this, as you would be gifted an allocation for life (and your descendants) and then you could move to Hawaii and rent your quota and collect the checks.

Personally I think all the volunteers that work in Salmon enhancement would stop and that might get DFO’s attention

quote:Originally posted by GLG

Fisher69 I don’t think you get it. It’s not about how many fish we get. It’s about moving from a system that we have, common property of all Canadians to a system based on private ownership of the fish. In essence the privatization of a common resource. Look how well that system works for halibut. Now if you are a commercial fisherman I can see you liking this, as you would be gifted an allocation for life (and your descendants) and then you could move to Hawaii and rent your quota and collect the checks.

Personally I think all the volunteers that work in Salmon enhancement would stop and that might get DFO’s attention

I look at it as the best possible tool for conservation and fish management. Yes MANAGEMENT the very thing that our sector seems to loath. The days of free for all fishing are coming to an end and I would prefer to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

I love sports fishing and do it when I can. I can also see that the effort has exceeded the available fish. We can continue to point the fingers in every direction until the last fish is caught or we can make changes that will ensure our children can have a chance to enjoy the sport. Yup "sport" not freezer filling.

The local springs and coho are in a dismal state and yet we still refuse to catch less fish. Our soulution to date "target something else"..

Fisher69 thanks for the reply.

I hear you and would like to see my grandchildren catch some fish also.
I volunteer in local salmon enhancement to help make that possible.

If you believe the answer is to privatize the resource because the government says it’s the best tool for conservation, well you are buying into their spin on things. Here are some favorite spins from our government from the past.

Privatizing BC Hydro is the best way to keep costs down and our rates low. Last week I learned we are to have a 30% increase over the next 3 years.

Privatizing BC Ferries was going to improve service, save money and keep cost low.
Only thing it seems to be doing is lining the pockets of the top brass and raising prices.

Privatizing the telephone system it’s all good. My rates went up and the service went down. There once was a day when they use to fix your phone no charge. Now I have to call another company to do repairs. Don’t even own a cell phone any more as the charges to get no signal and dropped calls were making me angry. Sorry I don’t buy into their fancy commercials. Here is a thought, quit spending money on TV commercials and buy more equipment.

And my all time favorite…….

Fish farmers are going to save our wild salmon. Yea right.

I use to believe that the government knew best now I know they don’t.

Here is something to think about from DFO’s website.
Summaryfishing2005.jpg

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/stats/rec/can/2005/REC2005_EN_20070727.pdf

It seems no one is filling their freezer when they take 5.5 fish home per year. That includes all species.

What will the future look like if DFO gets it’s way with turning a public resource to private ownership. Look at Halibut for the answer. It is claimed that halibut is the best managed fish resource in the world. From my window it sure sucks. All the talk of buying quota from corporations so I can go out and keep a fish is BS. Who owns that fish, some numbered company or the people of Canada?

If you believe the answer is to privatize the resource because the government says it’s the best tool for conservation, well you are buying into their spin on things. Here are some favorite spins from our government from the past.

Privatizing BC Hydro is the best way to keep costs down and our rates low. Last week I learned we are to have a 30% increase over the next 3 years.

Privatizing BC Ferries was going to improve service, save money and keep cost low.
Only thing it seems to be doing is lining the pockets of the top brass and raising prices.

Privatizing the telephone system it’s all good. My rates went up and the service went down. There once was a day when they use to fix your phone no charge. Now I have to call another company to do repairs. Don’t even own a cell phone any more as the charges to get no signal and dropped calls were making me angry. Sorry I don’t buy into their fancy commercials. Here is a thought, quit spending money on TV commercials and buy more equipment.

Summaryfishing2005.jpg

It seems no one is filling their freezer when they take 5.5 fish home per year. That includes all species.

What will the future look like if DFO gets it’s way with turning a public resource to private ownership. Look at Halibut for the answer. It is claimed that halibut is the best managed fish resource in the world. From my window it sure sucks. All the talk of buying quota from corporations so I can go out and keep a fish is BS. Who owns that fish, some numbered company or the people of Canada?

Summaryfishing2005.jpg

Thanks for this post, GLG. Strongly agree with your assessment of the perils of believing the false "profits" of capitalism. Let's not forget to throw the false prophet or run-of-the-river in there, too!

But 1 point I think needs to be raised about DFO's "numbers" for sportfishing total catch numbers - is that they are made-up</u>.

That's right - they are based on a number (a guess) pulled-out of the air by DFO managers, particularly in BC. There has been the occasional creel survey completed in the occasional area, occasionally (every 5 years, when it is dependable); and a voluntary mail-out survey to a percentage of liscenced anglers every 5 years where there is no way to assess and confirm submitted numbers - but by-and-large - there is NO dependable, systematic, accurate and comprehensive method used by DFO to determine sportfish catch numbers in BC, period.

NO on-vessel, no on-lodge, nor on-dockside observers (as employed by various commercial fisheries); NO comprehensive, compulsary yearly creel surveys for all areas; and while we are at it - no need to buy quotas - just a sportfishing liscence is all you need.

Just review those Canada-wide numbers you posted from DFO's website for a minute....

Look at the average number of sportfish caught from BC as compared to other provinces - using these so-called dependable? DFO numbers - they catch 10 TIMES the number of sportfish in PEI? HUH?

BC has many times (thousands) more salmon than PEI will ever have, including halibut, rockfish and lingcod; while the creeks in PEI are largely impacted by erosional run-off from potatoe fields, and have only a few brook trout. Why aren't the numbers reversed here? How is this possible? Did you look at these numbers?

ANOTHER sore spot - those revenues generated through the sale of sportfishing lisences are not directed back into management of those areas they were sold - but rather go back to "general revenues".

Some points to consider....

Summaryfishing2005.jpg

Thanks for this post, GLG. Strongly agree with your assessment of the perils of believing the false "profits" of capitalism. Let's not forget to throw the false prophet or run-of-the-river in there, too!

But 1 point I think needs to be raised about DFO's "numbers" for sportfishing total catch numbers - is that they are made-up</u>.

That's right - they are based on a number (a guess) pulled-out of the air by DFO managers, particularly in BC. There has been the occasional creel survey completed in the occasional area, occasionally (every 5 years, when it is dependable); and a voluntary mail-out survey to a percentage of liscenced anglers every 5 years where there is no way to assess and confirm submitted numbers - but by-and-large - there is NO dependable, systematic, accurate and comprehensive method used by DFO to determine sportfish catch numbers in BC, period.

NO on-vessel, no on-lodge, nor on-dockside observers (as employed by various commercial fisheries); NO comprehensive, compulsary yearly creel surveys for all areas; and while we are at it - no need to buy quotas - just a sportfishing liscence is all you need.

Just review those Canada-wide numbers you posted from DFO's website for a minute....

Look at the average number of sportfish caught from BC as compared to other provinces - using these so-called dependable? DFO numbers - they catch 10 TIMES the number of sportfish in PEI? HUH?

BC has many times (thousands) more salmon than PEI will ever have, including halibut, rockfish and lingcod; while the creeks in PEI are largely impacted by erosional run-off from potatoe fields, and have only a few brook trout. Why aren't the numbers reversed here? How is this possible? Did you look at these numbers?

ANOTHER sore spot - those revenues generated through the sale of sportfishing lisences are not directed back into management of those areas they were sold - but rather go back to "general revenues".

Some points to consider....

GLG

I share your the lack of faith in government. As far as I can tell DFO should be ripped apart and put back together without all the politics and put the focus back on fish.

I have to say I agree with Agent here. There are no true numbers and
DFO has the ability to spin them any way they want. This is perhaps the biggest problem we have as there are no true numbers between the indians and us. All I know is that we are running out of fish especially in the areas on the south end of the Island.

There are reports of guides taking natives with them now out of bamfield bringing in large numbers of halibut and being paid for it. It's no secret that there are those that put fish in the freezer to give their clients fish incase they dont limit out. I was up island this week visiting friends and one idiot was bragging about 127 fish in his three deep freezers that he uses to barter with. This is why I puke everytime Reid gets on one of his rants about more fish or why we should have more access when we don't want to make any changes to the fishery to ensure it's around for a bit.

Sorry for the rant it's early....

GLG

I share your the lack of faith in government. As far as I can tell DFO should be ripped apart and put back together without all the politics and put the focus back on fish.

I have to say I agree with Agent here. There are no true numbers and
DFO has the ability to spin them any way they want. This is perhaps the biggest problem we have as there are no true numbers between the indians and us. All I know is that we are running out of fish especially in the areas on the south end of the Island.

There are reports of guides taking natives with them now out of bamfield bringing in large numbers of halibut and being paid for it. It's no secret that there are those that put fish in the freezer to give their clients fish incase they dont limit out. I was up island this week visiting friends and one idiot was bragging about 127 fish in his three deep freezers that he uses to barter with. This is why I puke everytime Reid gets on one of his rants about more fish or why we should have more access when we don't want to make any changes to the fishery to ensure it's around for a bit.

Sorry for the rant it's early....

quote:DFO should be ripped apart and put back together without all the politics and put the focus back on fish.

Could not have said it better myself.

There is an old saying “follow the money” if you want to see were DFO’s priorities are take a look at this website.
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/GCSC/reports_e.asp

You will notice that very little money goes to enhancement. Most of the money is going to the commercial harvest in one form or another. Actions speak louder than words.

Take a look at this website. It’s how they plan to spend their money. Notice any money for enhancement or is it all directed to the commercial industry. DFO is not in the business to support the common folk. They are in the business to support the commercial sector. Been that way from the start and I don’t see it changing in the future.
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/rpp/2008-2009/inst/dfo/dfo01-eng.asp#PS_FTE

I see DFO’s plan to change the salmon from a public resource to a private resource just one more piece of the puzzle. A puzzle that makes you and me the odd man out.

quote:There are reports of guides taking natives with them now out of Bamfield bringing in large numbers of halibut and being paid for it.

one idiot was bragging about 127 fish in his three deep freezers that he uses to barter with

It makes me sick to hear of people like this. They need to be held accountable for their actions.

quote:DFO should be ripped apart and put back together without all the politics and put the focus back on fish.

There is an old saying “follow the money” if you want to see were DFO’s priorities are take a look at this website.

You will notice that very little money goes to enhancement. Most of the money is going to the commercial harvest in one form or another. Actions speak louder than words.

Take a look at this website. It’s how they plan to spend their money. Notice any money for enhancement or is it all directed to the commercial industry. DFO is not in the business to support the common folk. They are in the business to support the commercial sector. Been that way from the start and I don’t see it changing in the future.
http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/rpp/2008-2009/inst/dfo/dfo01-eng.asp#PS_FTE

I see DFO’s plan to change the salmon from a public resource to a private resource just one more piece of the puzzle. A puzzle that makes you and me the odd man out.

quote:There are reports of guides taking natives with them now out of Bamfield bringing in large numbers of halibut and being paid for it.

one idiot was bragging about 127 fish in his three deep freezers that he uses to barter with

It makes me sick to hear of people like this. They need to be held accountable for their actions.

The money you see here is PICFI money being spent. That is the Gov. buying up fishing licenses for the natives. No disrespect but I know alot of the "Instant Millionaires" and most of them are barly surviving.

Back