Salmon Extinction in Japan

Barbender

I know blaming anything but salmon farms around here is considered heresy. However in the interest of being slightly open minded I thought I would post this.

The Yomiuri Shimbun in Japan is reporting that salmon returns on the eastern peninsula are in a steady decline with other rivers in Japan. They are prediciting that the salmon will be extinct by the end of the century if current trends continue. The team of scientists from Hokkaido University made the projection based on a inter governmental panel on climate change. The board was made up of Nobel Prize winners. "Global Warming is already affecting the salmon" Kaeriyama told the newspaper. Increasing ocean temperatures continue to rise in the area.

You must mean the end of the decade?
'cause i am sure that a lot of species will be gone by the end of this century due to global warming and other factors

You must mean the end of the decade?
'cause i am sure that a lot of species will be gone by the end of this century due to global warming and other factors

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

I know blaming anything but salmon farms around here is considered heresy. However in the interest of being slightly open minded I thought I would post this.

There has not been a single post on this site stating that fish farming is the ONLY cause of salmon declines. The general concensus seems to be that they are a contributing factor that we (humans) could easily fix.

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

There has not been a single post on this site stating that fish farming is the ONLY cause of salmon declines. The general concensus seems to be that they are a contributing factor that we (humans) could easily fix.

Yes, global warming is having an adverse effect on salmon populations. Therefore, you can't blame fish farmers or otherwise assign them any responsibility for the demise of wild salmon runs, right? So let's all be "open minded" to more fish farms, to more sea lice being generated at farmed fish, to more chemicals being dumped into the ocean at fish farms, to more and more feed fish being taken from wild salmon to feed farmed salmon. Oh yes, let's be "slightly open minded" and talk about global warming as the perfect excuse to protect and increase profits for fish farmers, and talk about global warming as the perfect excuse for fish farmers and their supporters to deny any responsibilty to protect wild salmon. Yes, let's be "open minded." ...Sounds like something Willie Pickton's lawyers would say. At some point we need to say enough is enough.

Yes, global warming is having an adverse effect on salmon populations. Therefore, you can't blame fish farmers or otherwise assign them any responsibility for the demise of wild salmon runs, right? So let's all be "open minded" to more fish farms, to more sea lice being generated at farmed fish, to more chemicals being dumped into the ocean at fish farms, to more and more feed fish being taken from wild salmon to feed farmed salmon. Oh yes, let's be "slightly open minded" and talk about global warming as the perfect excuse to protect and increase profits for fish farmers, and talk about global warming as the perfect excuse for fish farmers and their supporters to deny any responsibilty to protect wild salmon. Yes, let's be "open minded." ...Sounds like something Willie Pickton's lawyers would say. At some point we need to say enough is enough.

Wow....drawing a link between salmon farming and willy Picton. Way to keep a common sense aproach. Glad you are not over-reacting.

Wow....drawing a link between salmon farming and willy Picton. Way to keep a common sense aproach. Glad you are not over-reacting.

Global Warming is already affecting the salmon

you're absolutely right - this is affecting our salmon. So is logging, mining, dams, over fishing, poor spawning conditions etc.

Fish Farming is a very easy fix though, not mention they are all owned by foreigners, employ very few workers locally and most fish are shipped to other countries.

These farms use our waters for their dirty work then ship the profits and meat to other countries. Get it?

Global Warming is already affecting the salmon

you're absolutely right - this is affecting our salmon. So is logging, mining, dams, over fishing, poor spawning conditions etc.

Fish Farming is a very easy fix though, not mention they are all owned by foreigners, employ very few workers locally and most fish are shipped to other countries.

These farms use our waters for their dirty work then ship the profits and meat to other countries. Get it?

Here, Bender, I'll make it clear for you then. Your defending fish farms with a let's keep an "open mind" approach is not going to work any more for you than it did for dear Willie. His defense was it was someone else, not me. Is that clear enough for you to get your head around? Global warming is a lame excuse for the harm fish farms are causing. We don't accept Willie's lame excuses any more than yours.

At least a clam knows when to shutup. You ...a fish farmer ...a pig farmer ...whatever.

Here, Bender, I'll make it clear for you then. Your defending fish farms with a let's keep an "open mind" approach is not going to work any more for you than it did for dear Willie. His defense was it was someone else, not me. Is that clear enough for you to get your head around? Global warming is a lame excuse for the harm fish farms are causing. We don't accept Willie's lame excuses any more than yours.

At least a clam knows when to shutup. You ...a fish farmer ...a pig farmer ...whatever.

Barbender, your replies and comments both intrigue and baffle me. Maybe it's just me who feels this way.
This may be "corny" to say but I try to live my life with two basic principals in mind and that is by using both common sense and logic in everday life the right choices/decisions will be made. With this ideology I have a hard time understanding why anybody would back fish farms due to the proven destructive consequences they are having on our precious resource.
It leads me back to a previous post I made about greed. Is money THAT important to people to not care about what happens to wild salmon??
I just have and incredibly hard time comprehending how people get to that state where when something so destructive is taking place that they don't have a consciense and want to change their actions!
I'm sure there is HUGE money involved in moving the pens to land, most likely millions, but unfortuneately for the farmers this is what needs to be done.
Like many issues over the years ( think of your own examples)companies have been forced/legislated to improve/make safer their products so the good of the people and environment are protected.Yes it costs millions/billions but if things don't change who benefits?
It's a shame it's all about the money!!

Barbender, your replies and comments both intrigue and baffle me. Maybe it's just me who feels this way.
This may be "corny" to say but I try to live my life with two basic principals in mind and that is by using both common sense and logic in everday life the right choices/decisions will be made. With this ideology I have a hard time understanding why anybody would back fish farms due to the proven destructive consequences they are having on our precious resource.
It leads me back to a previous post I made about greed. Is money THAT important to people to not care about what happens to wild salmon??
I just have and incredibly hard time comprehending how people get to that state where when something so destructive is taking place that they don't have a consciense and want to change their actions!
I'm sure there is HUGE money involved in moving the pens to land, most likely millions, but unfortuneately for the farmers this is what needs to be done.
Like many issues over the years ( think of your own examples)companies have been forced/legislated to improve/make safer their products so the good of the people and environment are protected.Yes it costs millions/billions but if things don't change who benefits?
It's a shame it's all about the money!!

Barbender: I sort of sense what you want to say but here we have a chance to make positive difference for our wild salmon - so of course we are keen to take it and see it through - hopefully. Of course there are other factors that we should and hopefully will deal with such as irresponsible logging, habitat destruction, over-fishing, etc.. We are too small of a group to take on all at once so let's get together and do it task by task. By the way, I have tried to show the farming industry a suitable site for a land-based facility some years ago - existing concrete tanks, pumps, aerators, compressors - all there. Even a sewage treatment plant was right beside it that could have treated the effluent. For little investment and with some environmental conscience this could have been the show-case for such a type facility. The provincial government came out within hours of me bringing up this option (and they usually do not move very quickly) and they viewed the site and were full of hope that something would develope from this. But the industry was not interested as they had easier ways to make their profit. That really showed me how well they care for our environment and how little they will change their ways unless forced by legislation. By the way, the facility is still there and vacant...

Barbender: I sort of sense what you want to say but here we have a chance to make positive difference for our wild salmon - so of course we are keen to take it and see it through - hopefully. Of course there are other factors that we should and hopefully will deal with such as irresponsible logging, habitat destruction, over-fishing, etc.. We are too small of a group to take on all at once so let's get together and do it task by task. By the way, I have tried to show the farming industry a suitable site for a land-based facility some years ago - existing concrete tanks, pumps, aerators, compressors - all there. Even a sewage treatment plant was right beside it that could have treated the effluent. For little investment and with some environmental conscience this could have been the show-case for such a type facility. The provincial government came out within hours of me bringing up this option (and they usually do not move very quickly) and they viewed the site and were full of hope that something would develope from this. But the industry was not interested as they had easier ways to make their profit. That really showed me how well they care for our environment and how little they will change their ways unless forced by legislation. By the way, the facility is still there and vacant...

Back