Run GPS from Laptop on boat

My dad is getting on in years and has a hard time seeing the smaller screens for the GPS units and fish finders. He's wanting to use a cheap laptop which has a much larger screen to see the GPS chart while on his boat.
Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there software that can run both the GPS & Depthsounder as well?

One of my buddy's does this, he bought a used laptop
that interphases with his GPS. He runs the navionics CD
in the laptop.
only problem is space and old technology.
The lap top is slow, and bulky, otherwise it works well
once up and running.

I use the Nobeltec program to interphase with the GPS. It is spendy, but it is an excellent program. You can zoom in and out so your dad can see it better.

Nobletec....http://www.nobeltec.com/
I use it and have since it was first brought out as Navtrek in the beginning;)...Visual Navigation Suite has steered me all around Vancouver Island more than once in very tight spots and a-- tightening weather(25FT Seas)[V] Remember this is only to be used as backup Navigation..[^]Be careful. It is only as good as your GPS Feed.
Ps..I use Furuno GP32 WAAS/GPS to Pent3 14.4" Dell Laptop,w/ 3 NDI cd'sCoverage to whole BC coast. I use Furuno GP1250 GPS for backup. A laptop is only another draw on an electrical whoopsie on a small boat w/kicker and elec downriggers,etc,So be careful.Yes they make software to tie in sounders too!:D

Back