River Fishing for Pinks

• Thread starter Thread starter jimmydog
  • Start date Start date
J

jimmydog

Has anybody been up North end of Vancouver island fishing pinks in rivers.Any luck ?

Never fished for pinks in the rivers up there but definitely for doggies in the Cluxewe on odd numbered years, fly casting with pink/red shrimp flys , great sport!

AL

Yup. There's pinks up here in CR. I only tried once for about an hour till I lost my tippet and leader on the bottom, but a fella just before me landed 3.
They're not bitting a whole lot yet, but there are some here. Seen people starting to fish from shore too, but I don't see any jumpers out yet, and remember this is the off year there won't be quite as many going by as there will be next year.

Thanks for info. Heard the Eve river has lots of fish so may try there this weekend

I fish them every year in Campbell river. Small #8 pink flies either under a float or on a 10 ft leader with a floating line on the fly rod free drifting (weighted fly) First light is far better than later in the day and I usually fish from the logging bridge down for the best action in my opinion. Very fresh fish blast through all day long as well as the odd chrome hawg spring.:)

Hey bee...
The campbell river is very short meaning the fish are very spry and fresh still. A little bit later in the year the pinks can be pretty beat up, but if you get into a freshy you could hardly tell the difference between one caught in the ocean and one that just came up the river.
That being said I only catch and release them, with the tiny flies I use the fish are fine but it's a heck of a lot of fun on a little 6wt rod when the fish come through at 2-8 lbs.
But if you're wondering most people are reporting that the fish aren't bitting much yet. I've tried twice this last week and haven't got one yet. I've talked to 3 people who have but this weekend there was PILES of people trying.

sounds like your having lots of fun an i guess thats what its all about good luck to you thanks for the info,

"bennie"

Was up at the Eve River last weekend, probably 10 anglers near the mouth so not too crowded. Hooked 15 or 20 fish and managed to land three, nice and silver....lots of fun on trout gear.

Back