Rigging Anchovie Teaser Heads

Highliner

Can anyone help me with how to set up a teaser head with two hooks? I had a bunch of hits yesterday using only one treble hook (standard set up). I'm sure that if I had a single trailing hook I would have hooked those fish. Any tips or online resources would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can use snell knots to rig tandem trebs on mono, but unless you get it just right, the snell knots till slip or break on the big shaft of the trebble hooks. WHat a lot of guys do is get a piece of Tuff Line or dacron, and tie your trebs together (2" should give you plenty). Then you tie your leader to the forward hook. You then set your primary hook near the dorsal fin of your bait, and have the trailer trebble flip around just behind the tail of your bait so it doesn't knock the scales off. YOu will have to re-adjust how you set your roll doing this. When I played with it, having both hooks in the bait really didn't give me the flexability of the roll I wanted, with and without wire.

Now, on another note, you may want to try moving to a bigger hook before rigging tandems, I rareley miss fish, and I think it's because I moved up to a 2/0 or sometimes even a 3/0 Eagle Claw 3x when targeting hook-nosed cohos. I stick that hook about as far back as I can, just below the backbone, and it works great for me.

I find I get more hits on the single hook than the tandom ,but I keep more fish on the line with the tandom setup.Must affect the roll of the bait a little with the two hooks. That being said I use either a #2 Gami or Eagle claw treble(front hook)#4 rear hook.I use a snell knot for tying. Just make sure you get at least 8 or 9 wraps on your knot before closing it and you shouldn't have any problems with knots slipping. As Lastchance mentioned you want that rear hook just behind the tail not hooked into the bait. Also make sure them hooks are sticky sharp even new hooks can sometimes stand to be sharpened.A little trick after I have tied up my rigs and sharpened my hooks .I hang them where they won't get banged up in my tackle box.I wrap them around a piece of styrofoam SM that is cut to fit in the lid of my tackle box.
IMG_0273.jpg

Excellent storage idea Beak!!! Yet another slip of paper in the "To Do" jar....

Ya it works pretty well SIR it also keeps your leaders from getting a bunch of kinks in them.Also they remain a little more tangle free.

I couldnt tie a tandem till I was given that link , been in my fav`s ever since ,

now I can tie a new leader in a 2 foot chop

lol

tubbed

the only you'll notice is if you get stuck using small anchovy they won't roll over properly with the extra weight. For that reason I just use a single on the trailer hook otherwise you can get that torpedo effect with a big treble on the back.

I tried tying a double snell as suggested by LastChance, but couldn't for the life of me get the right distance between the two hooks. That link sure helped.:) Thanks again. I'll be using that set up from now on.

Another suggestion for keeping leaders sorted out. I pre-tie leaders to all my jigs as I prefer to have knots directly to the jigs rather than have a snap or swivel at the connection to the lure. To keep all the leaders tidy in my tackle box I cut 1.5" squares of corrugated box cardboard and put small slits in two opposeing sides then wrap the leader around the cardboard. This way each slot of my bottom fishing tackle box has all the jigs of the same type in one slot with each leader neatly wrapped around small pieces of cardboard. This way I can change lures quickly without having to tie knots yet still keep my leaders tidy and abrassion free.

Sorry no photo, it's raining out and the float is soooo far away, but I think the concept should be clear :D

Note this does not work well with double hooked rigs so the above mentioned trick is a great combo with this one for neat tackle boxes.

Sir,

That's a great trick to keep organized. I also do that. I read it in a Charlie White book. I love all the diferent tips and tricks you can learn on this site.

Cheers everybody.

Damn, one of these days I'm going to come up with an original idea :D

But it probably won't be a good one :(

I got bored tying flies so I tied a dozen trebles with a loop off the back for a stinger hook. I used 30lb mono and heavy kevlar tying thread, then gave the thread a quick coat of epoxy. It will be easy to tie the leader straight to the treble. Also I can just slip the trailer off the loop to change size if the roll doesn't look right. 12 in 30 minutes is slower than tying snells, but I find the snell tricky on size #2 VMC hooks (fat shafts).

I purchased a number of the teaser heads that had pre tied hooks with a kevlar line bettween the two hooks and I never could figure out why. That was until we lost 7 big springers in one day with the trailing hook missing everytime. The pretied where all 30 lb test and I would have thought they would have held. I guess the old timer that sold the kevelar ones to me he knew what he was doing. I will give them a try this year.

Hey beak,, when can I get one of those off you ??? Tell you what you can make me one this summer when we are at Camble and you are up at camp with the ladies drinking beer and I'm down at the dock cleaning all the fish I caught ;););).

Back