Rescued a broken down boat and boater - some lessons learned.

Sure I got a story for this one. Couple years ago, fishing active pass east entrance, and I notice a 26’ Bayliner day cruiser type boat come thru the pass around the corner, at trolling speed, like dead center in the ferry path. Odd. Then he stops for 5-10 min, right in the middle (Miners Bay corner but in ferry path) and I start to think something going on. Plus I can see a ferry coming from Tsawassen and I know the sister ferry is coming from Swartz within 10 min and he’s in both of their path. So I pull up, head his way, and sure enough he’s broken down. He tell me the main motor was sputtering for the past hour… then died. So he went to fire up the kicker, and because the bracket was rusty, on the third pull the bracket broke and the kicker FELL INTO THE WATER AND SANK!! He was unaware he was directly in the ferry path!

So anyways I throw him a rope, hurry to get going and right as I start you hear the ferry horn from around the corner. Seriously like 1 min from the ferry coming around blind and having this guy direct in his path. So, I tow him to well beyond Georgina point lighthouse for safety, and he asks me “where you going, can you tow me to Point Roberts”. Um, no buds. I tell him to call seatow, gave him the #, etc.

So I leave, carry on fishing, and 20min later I glance over and instead of dealing with his situation, he has dropped his lines and is fishing in the RCA off the lighthouse and slowly drifting back towards Active Pass. Luckily it was slacking up tide changing, and the drift changing east, to keep him out of the pass. I ended up leaving shortly after and never saw him again

You can’t fix stupid.

Sure I got a story for this one. Couple years ago, fishing active pass east entrance, and I notice a 26’ Bayliner day cruiser type boat come thru the pass around the corner, at trolling speed, like dead center in the ferry path. Odd. Then he stops for 5-10 min, right in the middle (Miners Bay corner but in ferry path) and I start to think something going on. Plus I can see a ferry coming from Tsawassen and I know the sister ferry is coming from Swartz within 10 min and he’s in both of their path. So I pull up, head his way, and sure enough he’s broken down. He tell me the main motor was sputtering for the past hour… then died. So he went to fire up the kicker, and because the bracket was rusty, on the third pull the bracket broke and the kicker FELL INTO THE WATER AND SANK!! He was unaware he was directly in the ferry path!

So anyways I throw him a rope, hurry to get going and right as I start you hear the ferry horn from around the corner. Seriously like 1 min from the ferry coming around blind and having this guy direct in his path. So, I tow him to well beyond Georgina point lighthouse for safety, and he asks me “where you going, can you tow me to Point Roberts”. Um, no buds. I tell him to call seatow, gave him the #, etc.

So I leave, carry on fishing, and 20min later I glance over and instead of dealing with his situation, he has dropped his lines and is fishing in the RCA off the lighthouse and slowly drifting back towards Active Pass. Luckily it was slacking up tide changing, and the drift changing east, to keep him out of the pass. I ended up leaving shortly after and never saw him again

You can’t fix stupid.
I see this stuff, or hear about it, at least twice each season. Two guys and a dog rescued up here, recently. 45 minutes in very cold water but all survived, thanks to SAR. Small boat, swamped in poor weather.

This has become so common these days because everyone gets a ticket for the Stupid Lottery. The issue I have is that the stupid among us demand that someone else risk their lives, to save them!

I now call Coast Guard once a year ... for a radio check. Back in the day, there was no one to call and nothing to call them with. You took care of yourself, otherwise Darwin thinned the herd pretty quickly.

Agree that there is a difference between putting the effort in to tow someone if they are immediate danger of going on the rocks - or if you know them personally verses letting someone else do that - or the Coast Guard. But there are some assumptions on here that there are always other choices including the Coast Guard to do that - which are not always realized.

Much of the coast North of Port Hardy has much less traffic than VI and the South Coast - with the exception of the beeline that goes up the inside passage to Alaska in the summer. The winter has very little traffic. And the Coast Guard resources in this area are generally sparse and far apart. So all of that is a factor in deciding to get involved. Can't say I ever towed a man-bun tho! :)

i’ve never broken down in my life, but i can only imagine the feeling of despair if you’re in trouble and all you see is boats zooming by not stopping. i have towed people in before. yah it’s sucks potentially ruining your fishing day but i’m not ok abandoning someone in need

i’ve never broken down in my life, but i can only imagine the feeling of despair if you’re in trouble and all you see is boats zooming by not stopping. i have towed people in before. yah it’s sucks potentially ruining your fishing day but i’m not ok abandoning someone in need
I think you just jinxed yourself ? How did the moldy bait work out ?

CRGreg

As a SAR member boater/sledder/ATV er and many other outdoor adventures I could not sleep if I just blazed by someone who is in distress, I am blown away by some of these comments. sad actually. Could be me or someone I care about and yeah watching people drive right by is very sad.

I will help those in distress on the sea, I reserve the right to define distress.
SAR is great and thank you for volunteering, but even SAR makes a distinction, the SAR is for people and not property.
People might get flown out of trouble for no fee, but the sledheads will pay the helo to bring out their sled.
I am a sailor and find sailboats to be the worst offenders. It's a nice day with some wind, no issues except they did not fill fuel/change filter/whatever. They are not in distress. Flake out your sails and head towards a port. I am not dragging your sailboat to the harbour of your choice.
In a distress situation, I am a very reliable rescuer.

I had a tow rope commercially made years back to attach with a y to the 2 back cleats. I carry it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Many years in port Renfrew, I would see a big boat being towed by a smaller boat with crab trap rope to one cleat. I would go over and offer the tow rope to them to help in the tow and if it was difficult to get to their side, I would toss the bucket in for them to retrieve. They were to give it to Bud at the marina when finished. I also would hear on the radio of people having trouble towing a friend and would get their position and go to do the same. I helped a lot of boaters through the years and was never in harms way. Always got the rope back and often with a few beers.

Saved these guys on my first trip of the year just off the rocks near Belcarra last year, and towed them in my sailboat right back to their slip at Reed Point. Getting a free custom clearcoat on the truck this year as an unexpected but welcome reward! Nothing beats the advanced Power Squadron courses that dive deep into charting & navigation, weather, currents, tides.....not mention the ROC-M Restricted Operator Certificate VHF course.
I recognize the genetleman that you are towing from the Marina

As a SAR member boater/sledder/ATV er and many other outdoor adventures I could not sleep if I just blazed by someone who is in distress, I am blown away by some of these comments. sad actually. Could be me or someone I care about and yeah watching people drive right by is very sad.
I refuse to believe that any responsible boater will "drive right by" someone in true distress. Not long ago, I responded to a call from a vessel taking on water. Fair enough. I'd call too!
(A poorly installed bilge pump was siphoning water into the boat.)

Here's the other side:
My brother and I headed 25 miles offshore of Beale, 5:00 am, on July 1st. Sunny and dead calm (a few years back.) By 7:00 a.m., 3 boaters had called for assistance - out of fuel. I'm really sorry - NOT! Call C-Tow.

I will help those in distress on the sea, I reserve the right to define distress.
SAR is great and thank you for volunteering, but even SAR makes a distinction, the SAR is for people and not property.
People might get flown out of trouble for no fee, but the sledheads will pay the helo to bring out their sled.
I am a sailor and find sailboats to be the worst offenders. It's a nice day with some wind, no issues except they did not fill fuel/change filter/whatever. They are not in distress. Flake out your sails and head towards a port. I am not dragging your sailboat to the harbour of your choice.
In a distress situation, I am a very reliable rescuer.
Actually not true, with new equipment, sleds, quads,side by sides and yes the amount of new boaters it is taking us(yes us, you, your friends, loved ones and me) to places we could never go and that is what most of the calls were to Rev SAR in the winter are lack of skill, we were all rookies once, so buddy drops into the "Tiolet bowl" and with fatigue and snow and lack of skill, didn't mention to anyone they were dropping in, no one can find him, so call goes out. We get off the couch or whatever else we are doing and go get someone's loved one. Simple, not my call to judge. Get to scene and actually feel glad it was a simple ride the sled and double person out. Should we only go if we feel it's a life or death? I actually hope all calls are that simple and it's not another time to give life saving measures to a fellow adventure enthusiast. There are people on those boats. Most importantly the amount of guys who learned and the trickle down to their friends and hopefully next trip they are more prepared, like radios, buddy riding, I always looked at it like a learning lesson, no one wants to need help.
If I ever see someone in distress I will stop and lend what assistance I can. Period. Be a captain and pass on and mentor and share your experiences, again, we were/ are all rookies once.

Actually not true, with new equipment, sleds, quads,side by sides and yes the amount of new boaters it is taking us(yes us, you, your friends, loved ones and me) to places we could never go and that is what most of the calls were to Rev SAR in the winter are lack of skill, we were all rookies once, so buddy drops into the "Tiolet bowl" and with fatigue and snow and lack of skill, didn't mention to anyone they were dropping in, no one can find him, so call goes out. We get off the couch or whatever else we are doing and go get someone's loved one. Simple, not my call to judge. Get to scene and actually feel glad it was a simple ride the sled and double person out. Should we only go if we feel it's a life or death? I actually hope all calls are that simple and it's not another time to give life saving measures to a fellow adventure enthusiast. There are people on those boats. Most importantly the amount of guys who learned and the trickle down to their friends and hopefully next trip they are more prepared, like radios, buddy riding, I always looked at it like a learning lesson, no one wants to need help.
If I ever see someone in distress I will stop and lend what assistance I can. Period. Be a captain and pass on and mentor and share your experiences, again, we were/ are all rookies once.

Well said, I used to be a Patroller (Voly then Pro on Whistler) and spent some time riding third with EHS

I have been through Critical Incident Counselling more than once and it still took years to learn to manage the emotion of those events.

What would have been worse for my psycological makeup would not be knowing basic first aid and just standing by afraid to do anything.

Learning CPR is so important and so easy, not just becasue you may save a life, but standing around looking at someone and not knowing what to do carries also its own emotional trauma.

The cost of AED's is coming down and having one on your boat is becoming more manageable. Ours can be used on a wet deck with no risk to the operator.

Paying a thousand bucks to C-tow, may sharpen their minds as to how they plan their next trip.

I have kids, there are consequences, or as you say learning moments, for **** poor planning.
I would never knowingly leave them in harm's way, but there are consequences.
The ocean is an unforgiving mistress, respect her with proper planning, not expecting some properly provisioned good Samaritan to save your slack a$$.

No one ever said they were going to drive by someone in a 40 knot gale in the berring sea that is taking on water.

All we are saying is, it you want to tow someone with a bow rider that ran out of fuel with 12 people on board in Burrard Inlet in the middle of summer, you can fill your boots.

I had all sorts of replies, decided we are different people, as many different opinions as there are boat styles. I will continue to help a fellow boater in need, that's just me. no sarcasm intended just the truth. I am an IN lander and have made mistakes on my few ocean trips a year and so grateful for the amazing fellow boaters who have assisted me throughout the last 20 plus years of adventuring, I just like to repay the kindness I have been shown. Sorry if it ruffled some peoples feathers.

About 6 years ago a guy in about a 17 footer flags me down off otter poing "can you tow me back to sunny shore" I said whats the problem ???
"oh i have engine troubles" well im going to sooke harbour ill tow ya there and you can figure out what to do.
get him tied up he jumps out of boat with a empty fuel cel!!!!
I said thought you had engine trouble ....I do no gas!!!! I was furious as I dont mind helping someone but cmon worst part he said oh ill drop a case a beer at your boat (never saw it)
fast forward a few weeks later same dude is off bluffs stranded.... I go over again whats the issue ...oh I have b engine troubles... I said no gas again !!!!????
UUUMMMUUMMMM yeah!!!!!
Good enough tie up to the kelp bed there ok and I called CC said guys out of gas needs help ... . Dude goes oh dont do that they already warned me!!!! Well sorry to late....

one of the most amazing things i ever seen was in Bamfield; we walk down to our boat in grappler 5 am and there’s a crappy 15’ glass-boat with an ancient Merc tower of power tied off to the dock completely underwater. only thing keeping it from totally sinking was the bow and stern ropes tied to the dock. “ that guys gonna have a crappy surprise” we say as we head out fishing.

we come back, the boat is gone. we assume he’s had the thing pumped out, and towed to the shop or better yet, the dump.

Nope. we saw him later that day fishing off CapeBeale. i still have no idea how he pumped it out and got his outboard started, but he did. and then headed to Beale of all places.

unreal…

Let the Coast Guard and RCMSar do the towing and the lecturing …. If you come across a disabled vessel call the Coast Guard , tell them the situation and that you are not set up and don’t have experience towing. Tell them you will stand by until help arrives. They will send a boat.
I have seen so many cluster f’s and damaged gear and boats from Good Samaritans not knowing what they are doing. It’s the job of the Coast Guard, let them do it.

This is the post that people are reacting to, and I agree with it. The post isn't advocating driving past without offering help, but stating the truth: that towing can be dangerous if done incorrectly.

I have a smallish boat and no experience with towing. Unless there was real threat to occupant safety, I would not attempt to tow, but would stay with the other boat until qualified help arrived and offer whatever other help I could.

Back