Rescued a broken down boat and boater - some lessons learned.

A couple of weeks ago I spent the afternoon up Indian Arm. I was around Twin Island and saw 2 kayakers head for Deep Cove right as it got really snotty and started to rain sideways. It was probably the roughest I've seen it get up there, 2-3ft chop. About 20 minutes later, we leave and head back for Reed Point, in the middle of the channel, we see these two kayakers struggling to make any headway, getting absolutely soaked, and visibly afraid. We pulled up and the women was in panic mode, bawling, unable to respond. They clearly were inexperienced and needed help. Knowing the risk I loaded up their kayaks on my roof, damaging the louvers, and scratching the paint (towing them was not an option in those conditions).
Thankfully, they were the appreciative type. Their parents met us at the Deep cove dock and transferred me more than enough to cover the damage. The couple extra bucks and some Karma points outweigh the hassle of the repairs - but I do understand the hesitation to tow a big boat without the proper equipment. A lot more than a louver and paint job on the line there.
I'm sure everyone here agrees that if the situation has the potential of being fatal, we would all step in.

Back