Replacing 90 gal. alum. fuel tank, where to buy?

Went to Trotac today, and they sell black Neoprene sheets, it looks like rubber but its not its Neoprene its what they recommend to put under your fuel tanks. I always thought it was rubber but its not.
Roy, I think you got the same stuff under your tank.. did you get it from Paul ? its not rubber.. its actually Neoprene. you glue it to the bottom of your tank and seal the edge after so water can never get in-between the aluminum and the neoprene and the neoprene won't corrode your aluminum like rubber does.

Took the old gas tank to Jenkins Marine to get looked at.. its only .09 thick aluminum with some deep pitting going on some areas.. was not worth to fix for a boat we are planning to keep for a long time... recommended me to Associated sheet metal where they build certified tanks.. went there and gave a better price than most places I tried so far.. with 1/8" (.125) thick aluminum they will use to make a new tank for us. If all goes well, next week we will have a new tank built.

Just learned there is a product called "Nyalic" its a clear coating for aluminum... I just bought a can of it to clear coat our new gas tank when we get it..
Spacecraft proven protection
.clear protective coating
.preserves metals
.highly corrosion resistant
.protects up to 10 years

I hear guys use it to clear coat the out side of aluminum boats..
sounds like a great product...

Thats the stuff I got it comes in a 4 ft wide right it was quite plyable.

Wolf

For what it's worth for comparison sake, I had a custom tank made back in January '08 from RYM Propeller in Richmond. They have set prices for different sizes of tanks. Mine was a 30 imp gallon (136 litre) tank, aluminum, for $465.00, the fuel sender was another $45.00 plus taxes, so $571 and change. And yes there are coast guard requirements for fuel tanks. It would be a bad day if your life flashes before your eyes!

Back