Reel Recommendations

tbeatm

Looking for reel recommendations for my Dad as his current one is on its way out. We have a few trolling rod/reel setups so we should be fine there, it would mostly be used jigging for salmon on the occasion and shore casting in the fall at Renfrew.

Is there an all-arounder that people would recommend? Thanks

I absolutely dig my islander MR2 LAs...also have a set of the original MR2s and they're great too.

Edit sorry can't comment on the shore casting ability, I think I would have a birds nest on my hands tho.

Don't over look good spinners, you can cast a mile from shore. There are some very good models out there. Don't buy the cheapest models as they are not that great for longevity but you don't need to go crazy high end either and go Van stal. Just get a good middle of the road model (Okuma or Penn) that holds 300 or so of 50 lb braid.

Awesome, thanks for the information and recommendations all, some decent information to go off of and start my search.

find yourself a 1970's vintage ABU Garcia 6500C
they were still built with metal gears and will last forever with proper maintenance.
i still have my 1976 model and it's still performing like a champ!

Yeah no doubt but the OP wants something for shore casting. Spincasters are the best for that and are versatile for all other types of fishing. Would be my first choice. Just my own 2C

Yeah no doubt but the OP wants something for shore casting. Spincasters are the best for that and are versatile for all other types of fishing. Would be my first choice. Just my own 2C
I have done plenty of shore casting with my 6500C levelwind.
Did some off Otter Point west of Sooke this September

Spinning reels yes, spincast reels no... Big difference.

Daiwa BG are probably the best bang for your buck in a spinning reel. Rated for saltwater, very smooth and durable and relativly inexpensive. I use a 3500 size, but a 4000 or 5000 would be good also. If you're jigging from a boat a level wind would be the better choice but won't cast as well from the beach. Depends on how you want to compromise.

Back