Ready for my Mid-Island Education

LouDogII

I've just got moved into my new place in Courtenay, moved from Victoria. I'll have the boat ready for the begining of March or so. I'm trailering the boat so I'm mobile...what areas should I start buying charts for? I'd like to learn the Comox area first, and work out from there. I'll leave the west coast for the summer, but I'd like to get into some prawns, crabs and fishin' (ground or salmon) close by if it's possible. Don't need a sure thing (like there's such a thing), just a possibility of a fish or something in the trap to keep the family interested.

I would like to put in at Comox first off, but any local area advice would be appreciated. I have room in the boat for a local who likes to fish and knows the area a little. Wouldn't mind following another boat to some not so secret areas, too. I think I got most of the riggin' I need but will stock up on the local tackle as required.

Thanks for any help
Scooter

Thanks for the replies Kev and CS...er, I don't know what Baddog was on about...but...nice dog, goooood dog. You're welcome to come along too, though dog. I need some fishin' buddies, don't know anyone up here yet.

CS, I've got an 18' Campion Explorer with 115hp outboard, lots of canvas for the rainy days. Might not be able to keep up with you on choppy days, but if it's fair I'll follw you, thanks. No worries about your prawn hole, I don't mind looking around some. Crabs are only on the mainland side I hear, that true? How far staight across? Probably too far to be worth while, eh?

Good Day guys...gave them Italians a 7-2 whoompin' on the ice.
Scooter

Edited by - scooter on 02/15/2006 08:29:59

crabs are on both sides scooter. i havn't fished them in that area, but they are in nanaimo and around vic, and near mcneill. they are everywhere. just look for the sand/ellgrassy beaches.

Thanks Captain Dudds

Scooter - there is some great crabbing a bit south of Comox - about a 45 minute tow to launch.

Prawns all over the place, although that hole that C.S. has looks friggin' astounding.

Know of a few spots with a fish or two even...

Gimee the gaff!!!

CS, lol, you make it sound so inviting, might have to sleep in the pimpyacht after a trip to the Lund pub.

Back