Re-powering my 17.5 DE with a 115hp what motor to buy Yamaha, Suzuki or Mercury!

gillreaper

Need some advice on re-powering my Double Eagle, Noticing that many guide boats are going Mercury, What are your thoughts? Thanks Guy's

closest dealer to where you fish or boat. look at block sizes/weight compared to going up to a 140? weight or block size may be the same as 115!!!

They're all good these days. Go with the motor that you can best access servicing for.

As @trophywife is suggesting, if you're looking at Suzuki take a look at the DF140 too...it's basically a hot-rodded 115. Maybe similar to the Yamaha VF115 SHO.

I'd go with the Mercury. It's peak toque is at low RPM. 165lb at 3500 rpm. I would also consider the 90hp merc if you could get a good deal on it, and plan to keep the boat a long time (if you are going to sell in the next 5 years then go max hp to get better resale). The 75-115hp uses the same block, but there are some torque and leg differences, so find a good dealer. Suzuki is pretty dam close and many guides run them as well.

I put F115 on my 175 DE a few years ago. Replaced the 90 2 stoke. The boat was actually better balanced and may have handled better with the old 90. Those 2 strokes have a lot of snap. I probably could have got away with a F90. I would say 140 is overkill for a 17 foot boat. My 115 is more than enough power. As for Brand I agree that all Brands are great. Buy based on where you want to buy it and who you want to service it. PM me if you would like any more info.

I bought mine based on the service of dealer. Breakers in Port Alberni came recommended by friends who are guides. I went with Suzuki 150hp and pretty happy. Plus warranty is good.

They're all good these days. Go with the motor that you can best access servicing for.

As @trophywife is suggesting, if you're looking at Suzuki take a look at the DF140 too...it's basically a hot-rodded 115. Maybe similar to the Yamaha VF115 SHO.
I have an older version of DF140 EFI on my 542 and it’s been a great engine with zero issues so far. I order the standard maintenance kit from the dealer and do all my maintenance myself. Used the same dealer for a repair job and they didn’t disappoint me.
Can’t say enough about the importance of a good dealer when selecting your new motor.

@Stizzla did this exact upgrade a few years ago. See what he thinks about the hp requirements.

Are any of the three rebuildable, have steel cylinder sleeves? If not a scored cylinder wall means the block is a throw away.

I'd go with the Mercury. It's peak toque is at low RPM. 165lb at 3500 rpm. I would also consider the 90hp merc if you could get a good deal on it, and plan to keep the boat a long time (if you are going to sell in the next 5 years then go max hp to get better resale). The 75-115hp uses the same block, but there are some torque and leg differences, so find a good dealer. Suzuki is pretty dam close and many guides run them as well.

Merc 115 Command Thrust would be nice too, larger prop gives better lift, lower leg ratio over the standard 115.

Last edited:
Thanks Guy's for your info, keep it coming.
Scott they are older Evinrude's that haven't been run for 10 years, so not going to reuse. Money is not a issue just looking for info so I can make a informed decision.

Back