Rail Attachments

Time

A small thing but both the VHF antenna and a rod holder I use to hold a landing net are mounted on a 1" diameter ss rail. Both have a tendency to tip over. Plastic clamps on both. Short of drilling a set screw into the rail, which I don't really want to do, was wondering if anybody had a suggestion for a more secure attachment between the plastic clamp and the rail. I've tried tapes, to give the clamp something to bite into, but either a poor idea or I haven't found the right one.
Thanks.

You could replace the tape with emery cloth or sand paper. If you use 220 or finer grit sandpaper and it (will) scratches the SS, you can polish out the scratches later. Never tried it so I’m not saying it’s the right way. Like you I would not drill it out. GLG

What I have done on my boat which prevents the rod holders from moving is to drill a kinda grip for the set screw by drilling but not going through the SS. This gives the screw something solid to bite into but does not leave you with a hole. Works great I have never had an issue since I did this.

Yup!
Chunk of inner tube works great. Or, that mesh style anti-slip matting we all use on our dashboards has also worked for me.

Thank you.
Excellent ideas.
I'll try inner tube on one and the anti-slip mesh on the other.

It's been a long winter when you're sitting around thinking about the piddly little things that have to be fixed on the boat.

Back