Question about boats

Islandjet
From what I know the recent Trophys are a good boat.
You will find tons of good reading on thehulltruth.... a pretty decent forum with lots of great information and some good people who are willing to help a fellow boater.

Own a 1998 21foot Trophy and very happy. Has 175hp Merc offshore 2stroke and burn 30 liters at 30mph by gps. Very dry boat and if you take a green one you should not be out there. For inside waters awesome. Have logged 400 hours and fish mostly Campbell river and desolation sound and a couple visits to Bamfield a year. Stable and reason I bought a Trophy was for the deck space when fishing as so much room. Inboards take to much deck space and would stay away from a Trophy with IB. They are also Light and easy to tow. Down sides I found where best to fish with 2 people as when weather gets bad the rest have to be in cuddy as only room under cover for 2 or they sit outside at the stern.

Although even a 17 foot can fish offshore I felt best not to go as if it gets nasty mine is just to small and lite. I found out going thru 12 foot sees and dropping my guts every time I landed. Not fun, not safe and If I ever feel the need to go I will just get a charter.

/fishon

I had a 95 trophy and ugraded the power to a 175 merc. (it came with a 130 force) it was great combination and I never had any quality problems with the boat. I have been in some pretty rough water and always made it home the boat ran high and dry.

Most of my guide friends wouldn't be caught dead out there in a Bayliner.....they say they are too flimsy and the hull design is not optimal for big water.

must be nice to be able to wright off a boat
I have had a 18 foot trophy for 14 years awesome boat great on fuel been every where rivers inlet west coast offshore great little boat

Weather permitting, I wouldn't think twice about taking a Bayliner Trophy offshore. Unlike a gude I can take my time coming in, if it takes 90 minutes instead of 45 big deal. I took my 17' Malibu Tyee 15 miles off Bamfield a few times times, many times 7-12 miles, and 12 miles out of Kyukot a few times.

I know it can get hairy of WCVI but I've seen more decent days than crappy ones in the summer. The idea that you need a big boat to fish out there is a little over played IMO.

Weather permitting, I wouldn't think twice about taking a Bayliner Trophy offshore. Unlike a guide I can take my time coming in, if it takes 90 minutes instead of 45 big deal.

x2 on this. Yes a bigger heavier boat will be faster and more comfy but lets face it if it is ruff enough to be dangerous for a 21-23 trophy then I think most of us would probably not want to be out there in a Grady of comparable size either. The reality of getting caught is always there,and it will happen. I would say in most situations if good decisions are made wen they should be and cool heads prevail us trophy owners will arrive safe and sound just as the big boys will. So no I do not think a 21 trophy is too little boat to fish west coast of shore.

Would I run 40 miles out for Tuna..........................NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

When it comes to providing "real" comfort while negotiating "rough" water at a "reasonable" speed, " There is no replacement for displacement". :)

Weather permitting, I wouldn't think twice about taking a Bayliner Trophy offshore. Unlike a gude I can take my time coming in, if it takes 90 minutes instead of 45 big deal. I took my 17' Malibu Tyee 15 miles off Bamfield a few times times, many times 7-12 miles, and 12 miles out of Kyukot a few times.

I know it can get hairy of WCVI but I've seen more decent days than crappy ones in the summer. The idea that you need a big boat to fish out there is a little over played IMO.

I agree. Pick your day and a 17 footer will do fine. I take my Hourston Sportsman offshore regularly. If the forecast is poor then I fish inside waters. If it's good then offshore I go.
Dave

I remember from the Arima forum, somebody wrote that on average days, they fish their 17' offshore. If it picks up they head in and get passed by all the big ''offshore" boats, which they in turn pass again at the fuel docks...

Back