Queen Charlotte Info

Little Red Man

Hi All...Making a trip to the QCI's at the beginning of July. Any info on where to fish, what to fish, boating info, where to buy charts and maps would be MOST appreciated. I am a newbie Saltwater fisher from the Alberta Rockies, so any help would be great!

Regards,

Roger

It's a poor idea to start learning about the Ocean in a wild remote place like QCI.
I suggest you do a few guided trips somewhere first before venturing out on your own.
If not make sure your life insurance is paid up before you go!

that's why there's a warranty!

Rod Breaker has some good advice for ya. Go on a couple of charters, and get to know some local fishermen, learn from them. Don't mess around in that water.. go over and your a gonner in a matter of minutes.

Red

Gentlemen,

I have been on several charters over the years and have experience on bigger freshwater. The boat is 16’ with an 85” beam and 75 HP OB. I am a VERY cautious boater and have no intention of going anywhere other than close to shore and only with reasonable weather. Having said all that, maybe this is still not a good idea. Perhaps one of you can suggest where a guy can get started with boating on the ocean? Again, any advice would be appreciated…..BTW, I get good life insurance thru my company……however…..still do not want to have to use it!..... :-)

try brentwood bay just as many fish as the west coast but flat calm lol

There's One!!!!!!!!!

I understand that it's tough-you're hauling all the way from Alberta- so it's natural for you to think about QCI.
But those 'freshwater charters' don't amount to s*** compared to a 40 knot gale roaring up Hecate Strait and whipping around Rose Spit-have you ever seen the top 3 feet ripped off a 12 foot wave because the wind is so strong-and all this happens in 20 minutes?
I suggest you stick to fishing around Prince Rupert-lots of info available from local tackle shops and not too far to run depending what's happening-plus there are Islands to hide behind if things kick up.

Given decent ocean and weather conditions, what size boat is required to make it safely across from the mainland to QCI.

"Given decent ocean and weather conditions, what size boat is required to make it safely across from the mainland to QCI."

Well that's the problem. There is no guarantee of decent ocean and weather conditions. I'd hate to be half way there when an unannounced storm kicks up. 99% of the time you will be OK and forcast weather will hold. But are you going to risk your life on that other percent???

quote:
"Given decent ocean and weather conditions, what size boat is required to make it safely across from the mainland to QCI."

Well that's the problem. There is no guarantee of decent ocean and weather conditions. I'd hate to be half way there when an unannounced storm kicks up. 99% of the time you will be OK and forcast weather will hold. But are you going to risk your life on that other percent???

Nick:

You gotta give me a little break here.

Of course only a fool would risk their life. With all due respect, that wasn't the question.

The situation is simply this. Some do go out there. Sure they are selective on their days and their weather. But, if and when they decide to go, they go in some size of boat, right?

So, on these hypothetical days, when these hypothetical fishermen go out in their hypothetical boats to catch hypothetical fish, what size of boat would you guess they might use? Hypothetically speaking of course. :>)

Yes, weather can change. so when one decides this is a good day to go, we can assume they checked weather, coast guard etc. Then still decided to go. And if they finally made this decision, would they be presumably safe in a 10 foot boat, a 20 foot boat, a 30 foot boat or a 40 foot boat. A generality like this is all I am after.

Thanks,

Sorry Pescadero, I wasn't trying to be pesimistic or pick on you. It's just I've worked various ocean jobs, tug, com fish and even cruise ships. What I have found is to take all weather forcasts with a grain of salt. Weather has a nasty habit of doing what it's not supposed to do.

That said, if it was me making the run, It would be a minimum40-50 ft boat that was built for stability and not comfort. Others may have differant views, but to me it's not worth trying with anything less.

quote:
Sorry Pescadero, I wasn't trying to be pesimistic or pick on you. It's just I've worked various ocean jobs, tug, com fish and even cruise ships. What I have found is to take all weather forcasts with a grain of salt. Weather has a nasty habit of doing what it's not supposed to do.

That said, if it was me making the run, It would be a minimum40-50 ft boat that was built for stability and not comfort. Others may have differant views, but to me it's not worth trying with anything less.

Nick:

Thanks for responding. I totally agree with you. I have no professional experience but live on the central coast of Oregon. A nice day here is 8 foot swell and 15k wind. Then, as you say, it can turn snotty from there.

I have a 41' Trawler. I got it out of the Canadian fishing fleet and converted it to sport use. It's only an 8kt boat so can't outrun anything. I have been reading and asking around, trying to determine if it would be suitable.

Nothing urgent on the trip. It's just that QCI is a place I have always wanted to visit and am starting to investigate.

I have received excellent advice and information from you fellas on the Forum and thought I would toss this question out to get your opinions.

Anything else you may want to share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Skip

Well I've crossed Hecate Strait twice in a 168 foot converted survey ship-it was flat both times-both @ night.
Natives used to cross in big canoes @ night as well but of course they knew the signs for the weather.
Pescador-I'd say go for it if the weather sounds good-you only live once and do have quality experience & a real boat.

Ive taken the ferry from Rupert to QCI, and if memory server took about 10 hours to cross - at night.

I have visited and fished the north coast a bit and have crossed Hecate Strait. Crossing Hecate Strait can be a very dangerous affair if the weather goes bad even if you know the area and have a large boat and all the electronics. If I was going to do it I would give myself lots of time to pick the best day and wait bad weather out at Rupert. Weather does seem to be more problematic during the day but not always. Likely you won't need it but I would have lots of contigencies - dual vhf, satellite phone, gps and radar, travel with another boat if you can, life raft, etc. The Charlottes are beautiful, take you time to cross, be safe and take time while you are there to enjoy it.

Back